Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up cruise control at current speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea how to set cruise control at current speed (and not maximal currently allowed - which is probably derived from central map database - very often wrong number - at least in europe)?
This is one of the more prominent flaws in Model 3. Has been around long enough without being fixed that one may suspect Tesla don’t see/realize this is a significant issue - especially in Europe.

Any idea how to set cruise control at current speed (and not maximal currently allowed - which is probably derived from central map database - very often wrong number - at least in europe)?

“When Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control is available but is not
actively cruising at a
specified set speed, the
touchscreen displays a gray
speedometer icon below
your current driving speed.
The number shown in gray is
your current driving speed,
or the speed limit that is
being determined by Speed
Assist (see Controlling Speed
Assist on page 93),
whichever is greater. If you
engage Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control, this is the cruising
speed that will be set.”

So under Speed Limit Warning, set a relative offset of a reasonably large negative number. That will make the number determined by Speed Assist be lower than your current speed in most cases, which means your current speed will be chosen.

I think that will do what you are asking for.

I suggest you provide this proposal as feedback to Tesla on their home page under "Support" and then "Contact us". There is a form to fill in. If enough people make this suggestion they may realize there is an unmet need.

I think in autopilot setting there is a setting for cruise relative to speed limit. Turn off that feature and see if that fixes your issue

Okay, so I played with it this morning. The way to do what you are after is to adjust the autopilot setting from relative to absolute. I have no idea what absolute is supposed to do, the default is 50MPH. But the car, at least for me, just set to the speed I was going.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I reported this bug to tesla maybe a year ago - at first they didn't acknowledge that it happened, as it doesn't on model S and X's, then I finally got them to acknowledge that it did, after many emails, and they said it was a bug that would be fixed soon. They still haven't. i give up dealing with these morons about this. Anyone else want to try?

I reported this bug to tesla maybe a year ago - at first they didn't acknowledge that it happened, as it doesn't on model S and X's, then I finally got them to acknowledge that it did, after many emails, and they said it was a bug that would be fixed soon. They still haven't. i give up dealing with these morons about this. Anyone else want to try?

Except it's not a bug.

You can tell because the owners manual explicitly describes the actual behavior. It's intentionally this way, as documented there (and quoted in post 4 of this thread)

You actually got them to reply? Which email / who did you communicate with. I’d be happy to take up where you left off. All they have to do is to implement a choice for the users - should not be too hard a decision if they acknowledge the need.
I would also not characterize it as a bug - more like a sub-optimal design for certain situations. But something that has a simple solution.

You actually got them to reply? Which email / who did you communicate with. I’d be happy to take up where you left off. All they have to do is to implement a choice for the users - should not be too hard a decision if they acknowledge the need.
I would also not characterize it as a bug - more like a sub-optimal design for certain situations. But something that has a simple solution.

Is there an issue with the fix proposed above? I have no problem setting the cruise control to my current speed. It always works perfectly.

I have no problem setting the cruise control to my current speed. It always works perfectly.

So, you are saying that if you are in a 70 mile per hour zone and you want to set it for 50, you just go 50 and set it somehow "Without having to scroll?"
Wish I knew this secret as I have a posted speed of 30 mph (50 km/h) and the map speed (WRONG) says 60 mph (100 km/h)!
Very frequently have to scroll. What am I missing?

There's a road I travel frequently that is the same speed limit north and south. Tesla's database has different, and incorrect, speed limits for the same road -- faster southbound and slower northbound. If I activate cruise control on that road, I have to be aware not just of the speed I'm traveling, but also of the direction. Southbound will find me accelerating past the posted limit. Northbound will hold me short of the limit if I activate cruise before reaching the posted limit.

I understand why they have it programmed the way they do, but for me on that road, it doesn't work either way.

So, you are saying that if you are in a 70 mile per hour zone and you want to set it for 50, you just go 50 and set it somehow "Without having to scroll?"
Wish I knew this secret as I have a posted speed of 30 mph (50 km/h) and the map speed (WRONG) says 60 mph (100 km/h)!
Very frequently have to scroll. What am I missing?

That's a situation that would be very rare for me, but yes, it would just work (as long as Tesla's map data say 70mph); I have set a relative speed offset of -20 mph. In that case, the Speed Assist-determined speed and my current speed would both be 50mph. So that is what will be set for TACC.

It's extremely rare that I would want to use TACC to travel at a speed more than 20mph below the map-determined speed limit. You'd never use cruise control in inclement conditions, so it's not an issue for snow or rain, where the "basic rule" speed limit (the actual speed limit) may well be way below the posted limit.

Reactions: Petrlol
That's a situation that would be very rare for me, but yes, it would just work (as long as Tesla's map data say 70mph); I have set a relative speed offset of -20 mph. In that case, the Speed Assist-determined speed and my current speed would both be 50mph. So that is what will be set for TACC.

It's extremely rare that I would want to use TACC to travel at a speed more than 20mph below the map-determined speed limit. You'd never use cruise control in inclement conditions, so it's not an issue for snow or rain, where the "basic rule" speed limit (the actual speed limit) may well be way below the posted limit.

I have the same problem as @ibbd above so one time it is correct and my wife doesn't hear the over speed "boing" and the other gets the "boing" frequently. Setting the speed offset would probably put me over speed for all my travel, so couldn't use the speed warning which I quite like, cause as we all know, the car will go crazy fast so easily :D:D
Would be really nice if I could just push the "Park" button while at speed and it would set the cruise to that speed. Wouldn't take much programming IMHO.

I have the same problem as @ibbd above so one time it is correct and my wife doesn't hear the over speed "boing" and the other gets the "boing" frequently. Setting the speed offset would probably put me over speed for all my travel, so couldn't use the speed warning which I quite like, cause as we all know, the car will go crazy fast so easily :D:D
Would be really nice if I could just push the "Park" button while at speed and it would set the cruise to that speed. Wouldn't take much programming IMHO.

Fair enough; if you need the actual audible speed limit warning it is not a solution. However, for those people who do not need that, the Speed Assist offset does result in the desired behavior.

They acknowledged it as a bug at the time. I stopped caring soon afterwards, and don't know if that paragraph was in the manual at the time or if they added it to cover their asses. It's easy enough to work around.

More likely you got an idiot at Tesla who never read their own users manual and gave you a wrong answer. Tons of examples on here of folks contacting support multiple times and getting a different answer each time.

AFAIK the manual has always, clearly, stated that the current behavior is intentional and meant to work that way. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

AFAIK the manual has always, clearly, stated that the current behavior is intentional and meant to work that way. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Here's a copy of the manual from last January - I can't find anything like what's in post 4. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. But as I stated before, I don't really care any more. Whatever.

Attachments

• Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 89
  • Disagree
Reactions: Seth2020
Here's a copy of the manual from last January - I can't find anything like what's in post 4. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. But as I stated before, I don't really care any more. Whatever.

Page 64-

Owners Manual you posted said:
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control makes it easy to cruise at the speed limit. You can cruise at the
speed limit that is currently being determined by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page
79). To do so, move the gear lever fully down once then release. When you release, your
cruising speed is set to the speed that is determined by Speed Assist, taking into
consideration any offset you have specified. If you are already driving faster than the speed
limit when you pull the lever, the set speed does not adjust to the speed limit—it adjusts
to your current driving speed.

IOW it sets your speed to either the speed limit (modified by your offset) or your current speed, whichever is greater.

Same thing as current manual, but worded a bit more vaguely.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

(one can argue it's a bad feature- but it's clearly working as designed)