Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Severe problem with Auto Lane Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issues were on a perfectly marked highway with 65mph speed limit and nothing to do with exit lanes. I don’t see any lane marking issues in the OP’s video either.
My issues were on a perfectly marked highway with 65mph speed limit and nothing to do with exit lanes. I don’t see any lane marking issues in the OP’s video either.
I do see issues. Or at least I see how the AP cameras can see issues.

The divided highway is not much of one. Guardrail-type traffic separators are not typical of highways and certainly don’t read as jersey barriers. I noted that the one instance in which ALC responded to move left was at a road section with a new lane opening to the left. The second attempt at the right hand ALC worked when the road opened right. And the hard fail at the left ALC involved a solid line being crossed.

Nothing definitive, but are these differences noticeable to a neural net?

I've seen the same lane change issue on 2019.5.15. On open expressway, it will hesitate and sometimes cancel a lane change. This will happen both with traffic and with no cars around. This wasn't ever an issue on previous versions, so I assume it's been somewhat recalibrated.

2019.5.15 - 100 mile trip on NoA. Flawless on auto lane changes.

If trouble happens, look closely at lane markings, exit lanes, etc. Most times if it does happen,I have been able to see a problem.

I completed the other 150 miles of my trip with NoA. The only issue I had was changing left lane to right. It started right, swerved left and then completed the change. The issue was that the right lane had recently been repaved and the left one had not. So you had a dark black right lane and a light gray left lane. When NoA recommended the change out of the fast lane, the new black pavement had just begun. I made several lane changes along this same stretch of road with no further issues.

I had 4 different transitions from one highway to another and NoA took each one of these with ease. It slowed on the off ramps and sped back up on the on ramps before merging on the new highway. EAP and NoA keep getting gradual improvements on each upgrade.

All I'll say is don't be guinea pigs for Tesla. If the problem comes and goes depending on the software version, then their methodology for software development is flawed as they don't have proper QA and dependency flow charts. How can we trust the software if Tesa engineers fix a problem in one version and cause it to recur in a future version. That's just bad for system software. It's acceptable in the majority of the tech world but not for system software.
We’re all aware we’re guinea pigs. Certainly if someone isn’t comfortable beta testing then they shouldn’t use the features.

I'm on 5.15 - and these mid lane aborts happen more often than not. No pattern. Divided, non-divided. Clean cameras, dirty cameras. Clear highways, busy highways.
I've commented elsewhere how this has got me into trouble with other drivers who think I am baiting them.

I've had 2019.5.15 for a week now and logged about 350 miles mostly interstate and other 4 lane State highways and haven't seen any issues with lane changes.

Has anyone having this issue tried doing a camera calibration?

I actually have seen an improvement with Navigate on AP during off ramp maneuvers. Were NAP previously was unable to decide which of multiple lanes to move to from the main off ramp it now has been selecting the correct lanes based on which
direction is next.

The other thing I notice is random slowing or breaking when nothing is in front of me to trigger it. Breaking while still stops correctly seems to stutter a bit with TACC on and it comes to a stop behind another car.

Last edited:
My car is behaving so badly service wants to see it Friday - I feel like it's software related but we'll see.. I did catch something though, cruise control is near unusable near traffic and I *know* why.. passing a car, mine in center lane. The other car is at least 3 feet in it's lane but the display shows that car over the line and about to be hit by mine. No wonder my car is behaving so badly if it thinks it's going to run into every other car out there.

My car is behaving so badly service wants to see it Friday - I feel like it's software related but we'll see.. I did catch something though, cruise control is near unusable near traffic and I *know* why.. passing a car, mine in center lane. The other car is at least 3 feet in it's lane but the display shows that car over the line and about to be hit by mine. No wonder my car is behaving so badly if it thinks it's going to run into every other car out there.

I've noticed this as well. Cars in lanes on either side are showing 'over the line' on the display and AP is reacting to them.

Reactions: Msjulie