TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sharing WAZE with Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Hotrodder, Jul 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hotrodder

Hotrodder Member

I've read that you should be able to "share' a WAZE navigation from your phone to the Tesla Nav Screen by clicking in Waze onto "share" and then "other" and Tesla. After many tries, I've been unsuccessful.
    Has anybody had success with this sharing of Waze??

2. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

You have any reference on this? I haven't heard of this.
    I know if you have a tezlab account, you can log in on the web browser and see a waze map.
    Sessions | TezLab

3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

I’ve never seen a “share” in Waze, only a send. If there was a share it would work. Apple Maps and Google Maps have a share and you can indeed send right to your car. I use it often. Very convenient.

EDIT. AHA! I stand corrected. In the page where you can send, there is a “more options” very small at the bottom middle of the screen. That’s brings up a proper IOS share sheet

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

All that does is share the destination, not the route. It still uses the Tesla navigation system to determine how to get there.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Tezzie

Tezzie Member

#5 Tezzie, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Don't Teslas automatically use Google Maps? And doesn't Google Maps own Waze and use it in determining fastest, most traffic-free route? What's missing from Google Maps is Waze's crowdsourced information like police sitings, accidents, road closures, carpooling, ride sharing, etc. Now that Waze can also predict tolls you'll have to pay on a particular route, it is even better.

Isn't it just a matter of time before Google and Waze co-integrate, and wouldn't it follow that Tesla navigation would adopt this co-integration, or at the very least, provide Tesla drivers the ability to choose alternative routes or detours, freeways or side streets? Even my 2010 Prius navigation has that ability!

6. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

I see what’s you are after now. Does Tesla use Google Maps AI to plot route? I see maps, but I wouldn’t think routing since they take into account battery and status and supercharger location.

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

No Telsa does not use Google, or Google maps, for the navigation routing. They use their own maps and their own routing engine/server. Then they display that route on top of Google maps for you to look at.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. goRt

goRt Member

Yes Google bought Waze quite a few years ago.
    Waze maps and Google maps are built in entirely different ways, so the traffic data (and road hazards, etc.) from Waze is totally incompatible with the data requirements of Google maps. This is very unlikely to be addressed.

Others have addressed the point about what Tesla nav actually is.

9. mchevrier

mchevrier Member

I have the same problem, I share from Waze to Tesla, and nothing happens on my Tesla screen.
    Any clues on what parameters I should activate to transfer the location/address? I am not looking for the Waze nav on the Tesla screen, only the destination.

10. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

Waze is weird, it doesn't share the location but instead a link to that location within waze. Tesla needs an address to be shared for it to work.

11. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member