Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing WAZE with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never seen a “share” in Waze, only a send. If there was a share it would work. Apple Maps and Google Maps have a share and you can indeed send right to your car. I use it often. Very convenient.

EDIT. AHA! I stand corrected. In the page where you can send, there is a “more options” very small at the bottom middle of the screen. That’s brings up a proper IOS share sheet

Don't Teslas automatically use Google Maps? And doesn't Google Maps own Waze and use it in determining fastest, most traffic-free route? What's missing from Google Maps is Waze's crowdsourced information like police sitings, accidents, road closures, carpooling, ride sharing, etc. Now that Waze can also predict tolls you'll have to pay on a particular route, it is even better.

Isn't it just a matter of time before Google and Waze co-integrate, and wouldn't it follow that Tesla navigation would adopt this co-integration, or at the very least, provide Tesla drivers the ability to choose alternative routes or detours, freeways or side streets? Even my 2010 Prius navigation has that ability!

Last edited:
Don't Teslas automatically use Google Maps? And doesn't Google Maps own Waze and use it in determining fastest, most traffic-free route?

I see what’s you are after now. Does Tesla use Google Maps AI to plot route? I see maps, but I wouldn’t think routing since they take into account battery and status and supercharger location.

No Telsa does not use Google, or Google maps, for the navigation routing. They use their own maps and their own routing engine/server. Then they display that route on top of Google maps for you to look at.

.... And doesn't Google Maps own Waze and use it in determining fastest, most traffic-free route? What's missing from Google Maps is Waze's crowdsourced information like police sitings, accidents, road closures, carpooling, ride sharing, etc. Now that Waze can also predict tolls you'll have to pay on a particular route, it is even better.

Isn't it just a matter of time before Google and Waze co-integrate, and wouldn't it follow that Tesla navigation would adopt this co-integration, or at the very least, provide Tesla drivers the ability to choose alternative routes or detours, freeways or side streets? Even my 2010 Prius navigation has that ability!

Yes Google bought Waze quite a few years ago.
Waze maps and Google maps are built in entirely different ways, so the traffic data (and road hazards, etc.) from Waze is totally incompatible with the data requirements of Google maps. This is very unlikely to be addressed.

Others have addressed the point about what Tesla nav actually is.