Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shifts to Park when Butt Lifted from Seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've lost traction and are skidding on ice, the traditional step one is to shift into neutral (or clutch), before steering into the skid and then attempting to recover traction. I've actually used this, but only once.

That technique works, but stability control has made it largely obsolete. I used to do that with the DS-21 all the time because the Michelin XAS tires weren't the best snow tires--even though you got a snow tire certificate (once proper 180R15 snow tires came out, it wasn't necessary). I wouldn't ever expect to need to do it in a Model S.

Stability control isn't perfect; on rare occasion I've had both ABS and stability control fail to trigger in low speed / extremely slippery conditions. I assume all four wheels locked so fast that the car thought I was stopped. So conventional techniques still have some merit.

Stability control isn't perfect; on rare occasion I've had both ABS and stability control fail to trigger in low speed / extremely slippery conditions. I assume all four wheels locked so fast that the car thought I was stopped. So conventional techniques still have some merit.

That's why I said largely obsolete :)

Interesting Observation with Parking Brake

I maybe delusional but I have observed this behavior 3 times now in my Model S. When I am reversing into my parking space and get between 1 and 1.5 feet of the stairs to my home with the foot off the accelerator and creep turned off, it pops itself into Park. It was strange the first two times, I thought I hit something. The third time however, I watched it carefully and it did it again, popped into Park within 2 feet of the steps to my home, as if it could sense it. Again, it was coasting very slowly and with my foot off of the accelerator. I must strongly caution you however if you should try it in your Model S. I'll see if I can get the behavior on video.

I couldn't imagine that I was the first to discover this, although it would be beneficial to me! If I have to lift my butt up to see how close I'm getting, maybe the car should pop itself into Park letting me know, "that's close enough thanks!"

I couldn't imagine that I was the first to discover this, although it would be beneficial to me! If I have to lift my butt up to see how close I'm getting, maybe the car should pop itself into Park letting me know, "that's close enough thanks!"

This was covered in one of those video reviews (Cars.com?) I think. I've never had it happen but I rely on the backup camera more but also look back at times and haven't had it happen. Maybe there is a problem with the seat sensor.