Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short and sweet J-1772 to Roadster adapter - lockable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it not be more practical to 'upgrade' the HPC's to J1772?

It depends. If it's your own HPC at home, you wouldn't want to do it. It would be a PITA every time you plugged/unplugged your car you would have to use an adapter. Even if you have your HPC available for public use like I do, it would be better to have the occasional traveler use the adapter. J1772 is also a poor standard for high amperage like 63 or 70. It was designed for 32 amps and later they decided it would marginally work at higher current levels.

I tried to charge at a SemaConnect charging station with the TM J converter and the new one I got from hcsharp (brilliant piece of technology by the way ...thanks) and after 30 sec both caused a ground fault and shut down. It was at a SemaConnect regional headquarters and a super nice Application Engineer named Mike Meall ran out and was fascinated by the new connector. He stared at it for a minute and said, "with this I can fix the problem" then he started talking in a strange language about filter and electrical stuff but was very intent on talking to the "designer"of the new" can " adapter. Sooooo if there is any interest we might be able to incorporate a fix for the CFGI ground fault problems roadster owners have with SemaConnect charging stations be incorporating a small filter into hcsharps new converter. ran the idea past near by Ranger and he said it could be possible. If interested in investigating possibilities of opening up a big charging network to roadsters 1.5 and above let me know so we can arrange a conference.

> J1772 is also a poor standard for high amperage like 63 or 70. It was designed for 32 amps and later they decided it would marginally work at higher current levels. [hcsharp]

Sounds like a bad review for the Itt/Canon 75 Amp rated J1772 plug. (Guess they make a matching 75 A socket, too.) What, did they get warm when you tested? Just not enough copper to copper in there(?).
--

> incorporating a small filter into hcsharps new converter. [Botbldr45]

It don't need no steenkin' filter!! It is a straight passthru connector, so whatever issues SemaConnect is having here, it is having with the Roadster circuitry. Tesla has spoken with their recent firmware release, 4.6.5. Seems it is up to SC to try to adapt to this newest level of Tesla fussiness. Luckily they seems to have the interest! Or, failing that, just give up. No way you can open the Can & stick in a filter. [hcsharp will speak to this of course].

My Roadster shuts off 4 new Schneider EVSEs after 15 seconds. Yet works fine on AeroViron~~ chargers. We are looking into the possibility that the Schneiders were inadequately installed with, say, 30A breakers or somesuch. They work fine with Leafs & Volts, so maybe Schneider just can't deal with Tesla's requirements. If this can't be fixed, I'll offer to get them a 70A Tesla HPC of some sort, cause I really, really want to be able to charge at this location. But it would have to be a HPC that will connect to both Roadster & Model S easily.
--

> J1772 is also a poor standard for high amperage like 63 or 70. It was designed for 32 amps and later they decided it would marginally work at higher current levels. [hcsharp]

Sounds like a bad review for the Itt/Canon 75 Amp rated J1772 plug. (Guess they make a matching 75 A socket, too.) What, did they get warm when you tested? Just not enough copper to copper in there(?).
--
Not so much a bad review of the ITT Cannon parts as much as a sad commentary on J1772. ITT Cannon makes the best parts I've found although quality dropped a little when they started making everything in China. The problem IMO is the SAE. You are correct there is not enough surface area on those pins /sleeves to get adequate contact. It's fine for 32A for which it was designed. Add a little dirt (this is an automotive application after all) which is inevitable and you can't expect to get 75A without getting hot. In fact it already gets warm at 70A even under ideal conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to charge at a SemaConnect charging station with the TM J converter and the new one I got from hcsharp (brilliant piece of technology by the way ...thanks) and after 30 sec both caused a ground fault and shut down. It was at a SemaConnect regional headquarters and a super nice Application Engineer named Mike Meall ran out and was fascinated by the new connector. He stared at it for a minute and said, "with this I can fix the problem" then he started talking in a strange language about filter and electrical stuff but was very intent on talking to the "designer"of the new" can " adapter. Sooooo if there is any interest we might be able to incorporate a fix for the CFGI ground fault problems roadster owners have with SemaConnect charging stations be incorporating a small filter into hcsharps new converter. ran the idea past near by Ranger and he said it could be possible. If interested in investigating possibilities of opening up a big charging network to roadsters 1.5 and above let me know so we can arrange a conference.

It would be so much easier if SemaConnect just fixed their chargers to work right in the first place. I've put a small circuit in the CAN before in order to overcome the bug in the roadster firmware that prevents it from charging when the pilot signal indicates more than 70A available. But any circuit that fits inside the CAN will more easily fit inside SC's charging station. I know the Roadster is finicky but If we can charge from a host of other EVSE, why can't we charge reliably from SemaConnect?

My Roadster shuts off 4 new Schneider EVSEs after 15 seconds. Yet works fine on AeroViron~~ chargers. We are looking into the possibility that the Schneiders were inadequately installed with, say, 30A breakers or somesuch. --

The Schneider has a 5mA GFCI trip; the Roadster goes a little over that briefly near the start of a charge (but stays well under the 20mA trip level that most EVSEs use). Schneider knows about this, and has a fix running through the UL certification process and will update the units in the field. No word on when, though.

The Schneider has a 5mA GFCI trip; the Roadster goes a little over that briefly near the start of a charge (but stays well under the 20mA trip level that most EVSEs use). Schneider knows about this, and has a fix running through the UL certification process and will update the units in the field. No word on when, though.

Thanx for this!! Gives my issues with the Schneiders a rational basis, and some hope for being resolved.

ModelS will be a better car than the Roadster for the 300 mile round trips, and likely are working today with Schneider chargers. My delivery can't come soon enough.:rolleyes:
--

Schneider does confirm that Model S works fine with their chargers.

Incidentally, a few days ago I heard (in a roundabout way) that Schneider changed their mind and will NOT be upgrading their units. I just sent them a note to ask if that is true.

Just received my adapter and it looks great Henry!

Being very new to all this and not technically that capable I am confused with what is best for disconnecting after charging.
With the Tesla cables they have the switch to pull back to stop but with the can, what action should be done first?
Turning off the socket from the wall, unplugging the J1772 from the can or unplugging the can from the car?

Many thanks!

With the Tesla cables they have the switch to pull back to stop but with the can, what action should be done first?
Turning off the socket from the wall, unplugging the J1772 from the can or unplugging the can from the car?
You should NOT simply unplug the J1772 connector from the can because you will potentially interrupt at full power (the car will not detect you unplugging).

I'm not sure whether twisting the can forces the car to terminate charging or whether this is just the same as unplugging the J1772 connector... to be avoided IMO.

With most Charging Stations you will be unable to 'turn off at the wall' although you should be able to interrupt charging in some way.

My suggestion is that you press stop on the cars VDS console before unplugging anything. In that way you know the car is not drawing any power.

WOW!

Thank you for explaining this Kevin. I guess to many it is an obvious thing to many but I never had explanations of do's and dont's for the car as it was just delivered and I was given the keys.
The rest I have been figuring out myself.

So far I have only used 13amps and so have always had the switch on the cable. I never used the touch screen inside the car to stop charging... Is this bad then?

I shall make sure I do hit 'stop charging' with the adaptor as I really don't want to damage the car.
Thanks again for helping! Ill be using the ecotricity point at Hopwood services later in the week and will try it out for the first time using the ZCW cable :)

So far I have only used 13amps and so have always had the switch on the cable. I never used the touch screen inside the car to stop charging... Is this bad then?
The switch on the Roadster cable and the 'stop' on the VDS do the same thing (tell the car to stop taking power from the wall)... it does not matter which of these two mechanisms you use.

Ill be using the ecotricity point at Hopwood services later in the week and will try it out for the first time using the ZCW cable :)
Ok Great. Here's my Ecotrcity process;

(1) check the Ecotricity Charging Station LED's are lit before unloading your cables (can't tell you how many times I've found the Charging Station was not working after I'd unloaded everything from the boot).

(2) open car charging flap and insert henry's 'can'

(3) plug J1772 connector into the 'can'

(4) make sure both the 'can' and J1772 connector are locked into position

(5) check you have your Ecotricity card in your hand and NOT one of the other RFID cards (this is important because many cards will open the Ecotrcity socket flap but they will not start the charge - this is really confusing in the rain/dark)

(6) hold Ecotricity card against the Type 2 flap and it will open. Immediately insert the Type 2 connector from your charging cable and push fully home. The flap should now close, LED's change colour on car and Charging Station, and charging start after ~30 seconds

(7) check on VDS display that car is charging at 32A

(8) grab a coffee

(9) when you wish to end the charging session hold the Ecotricity card against the Type 2 flap and it will open and release your cable

(10) tweet your success/failure to #ukcharge

Final comments...

If the EV spaces are ICE'd then be careful about asking people to move... some ICE drivers are fine but others can be aggressive/obnoxious.

Remember you can only stay at the Service station for 2 hours maximum without getting a parking ticket.

Make sure you have a fully charged mobile to call Ecotricity if you have problems (phone number on the charging station).

Make sure you have a backup charging location that you can reach AND your 13A cable in the car for emergencies.

David - Those 70A charge points, are they dedicated Tesla chargers or would I need a 70A rated cable to use with the hcsharp adaptor?

As Kevin says, these are dedicated Tesla "HPCs" that look like this.

AshfordHPC.JPG

Here is a map of the network with the HPCs marked in blue. A few selected 32 Amp locations are shown in yellow and purple too. The Holyhead - Dublin ferry has 32A J1772 charging on board.

Note, the location (without a dot) near Newport, South Wales is still not in place. We would love to get one at Celtic Manor to complete the whole network.

HPCnet.PNG

The Birmingham and Nottingham hotel details are:

Four Star Hotel, Restaurant & Wedding Venue Midlands Staffordshire | Moat House, Acton Trussell

Hotels in Nottingham | The 4 Star Nottingham Belfry | QHotels

The full story of the network was covered here: UK Long Range Charging Network

Again, as Kevin says, Dalmahoy near Edinburgh is reported out of service but Tesla should now be on the case.

Moderator's Note: Subsequent discussion about Celtic Manor moved to UK Long Range Charging Network.

Last edited: