Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short and sweet J-1772 to Roadster adapter - lockable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Kevin for excellent instructions on how to use my adapter with a UK/European Type 2 cable and charging station.

Most manufacturers of charging stations recommend that you stop charging at the charging station. There is usually a button to press or swipe your card, etc. It's just as good if you "stop" from the VDS or with a smart phone app such as the Tattler or OVMS. In any case you won't damage the Roadster if you pull the J1772 connector before you stop, but it's not recommended.

These are the instructions I usually give people (in the US/Japan):

1) Insert the adapter into your Roadster first before engaging the J1772 connector.

2) Always stop charging before unplugging the J1772 connector. You can stop charging from the VDS in your Roadster or from the J1772 charging station.

3) Never attempt to remove the adapter without first stopping charging and unplugging the J1772 connector from the adapter.

@Alexander, It's great to hear your adapter arrived and you're able to use it! I hadn't heard anything and was about to send you a message. If anyone is interested, I have 70A Type 2 cables available if/when there are locations with that capacity in the UK.

All metal parts are stainless steel or aluminum and it's designed for charging in rain and snow.
Because I know that this thread is quite active with those who have been quite helpful (tip of the hat or groveling for assistance), I wanted to alert you to a cross referenced post that also pertains to hcsharp "The Can" of which I have one and LOVE. The gist is, "from a scientific perspective, is it safe & from a legal perspective, is there anything in the Tesla warranty that invalidates it should you be charging in the rain?" :confused:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...the-rain/page2?p=199293&viewfull=1#post199293

I know its been said before, but I wish there was a way to give a thumbs up "like" to a comment instead of either being impolite and ignoring it or needing to write 5 letters or more in a reply.

Isn't that what the reputation stars are for? (The icon that looks like a sheriff's badge next to Blog this Post).

Because I know that this thread is quite active with those who have been quite helpful (tip of the hat or groveling for assistance), I wanted to alert you to a cross referenced post that also pertains to hcsharp "The Can" of which I have one and LOVE. The gist is, "from a scientific perspective, is it safe & from a legal perspective, is there anything in the Tesla warranty that invalidates it should you be charging in the rain?" :confused:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...the-rain/page2?p=199293&viewfull=1#post199293

I can't think of any possible way it would void your warranty, especially given that Tesla endorses charging in the rain. I can't even think of any way that the charging equipment could hurt your car even if it wanted to. Maybe if it was capable of creating its own voltage spikes, but the UMC, HPC, and the CAN have no way of doing that.

For safety, there are a few things that would have to go wrong before you had an accident, so there is redundant prevention if you will. Even if the GFI protection failed it would be hard to get shocked.

Last edited:
My CAN adapter arrived this week from Henry's workshop. The build quality is fantastic - this thing is solid and even better in person than the pictures represent. I did a quick test today on a local Eaton charging station and had no issues connecting. The Schneiders on the other hand aren't compatible with Roadsters, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, and I was disappointingly able to confirm.

The adapter fits snugly in the trunk and arrived with a small neoprene carrying case. I'm looking forward to putting it to use over the summer now that the Sun Country Highway 90A charging network has been rolled out across Canada. Highly recommended as an alternative to the Tesla long adapter.

My CAN adapter arrived this week from Henry's workshop. The build quality is fantastic - this thing is solid and even better in person than the pictures represent. I did a quick test today on a local Eaton charging station and had no issues connecting. The Schneiders on the other hand aren't compatible with Roadsters, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, and I was disappointingly able to confirm.

The adapter fits snugly in the trunk and arrived with a small neoprene carrying case. I'm looking forward to putting it to use over the summer now that the Sun Country Highway 90A charging network has been rolled out across Canada. Highly recommended as an alternative to the Tesla long adapter.

Thanks djp! You mentioned the neoprene carrying bag... I'm sending those free with all the orders now. If you are an earlier customer (before Nov 2012) and didn't get one, please post here or PM and I'll send you one. Free of course. Thanks!

Thanks djp! You mentioned the neoprene carrying bag... I'm sending those free with all the orders now. If you are an earlier customer (before Nov 2012) and didn't get one, please post here or PM and I'll send you one. Free of course. Thanks!
Happy to take one if it is smaller and more compact than one of those camera lens carrying cases that some of us bought of ebay as that one proved to be too bulky so I leave it at home and keep the CAN in my trunk.
Since I rent out my car (Rent a Famous Black Tesla Roadster in Los Angeles - Getaround), the CAN has become invaluable for newbies to charge at the more ubiquitous J1772 and many have said how seamless the process was!

Happy to take one if it is smaller and more compact than one of those camera lens carrying cases that some of us bought of ebay as that one proved to be too bulky so I leave it at home and keep the CAN in my trunk.
Since I rent out my car (Rent a Famous Black Tesla Roadster in Los Angeles - Getaround), the CAN has become invaluable for newbies to charge at the more ubiquitous J1772 and many have said how seamless the process was!

I don't know how big your case is, but the neoprene bag is, well, a bit baggy. But it compresses down to the size of the CAN when squished at the bottom of a full trunk. It also helps keep the CAN from rolling around in your trunk as much.

- - - Updated - - -

I got my CAN from another guy who traded in his roadster for mostly s.

Am I eligible to get a bag?

Maybe. And that's final.:wink:
OK, if you can tell me who you got your CAN from.

@hcsharp, I notice there is no slide to start and stop charging on the CAN. Does it immediately start charging when it's plugged in?

I'm potentially interested in buying one if I can sell my long cable. I don't like how long the one I have now is, as it's clunky when trying to plug into the car without have the other end bang into the car.

A generous offer, but I'm good :). Mine is already happily living within a small camera lens case. And if anyone is wondering if they should buy one or not, I can attest to the quality. Henry is a good guy, has upgraded mine to the current finish at no cost, and offers a great product.

b.

@hcsharp, I notice there is no slide to start and stop charging on the CAN. Does it immediately start charging when it's plugged in?
You can watch my video above but the idea is you plug in the adapter (I hate the word "can") and then plug the J1772 into the adapter. If a charge timer is not set it will start charging upon plug-in. Henry is just passing the J1772 pilot signal on to the Roadster so there is no need for the slide switch.

Just wanted to offer my 2-cents. I really like the CAN. Before I got it, I really didn't care which I got, Tesla's version or hcsharp's can. Now that I've done a bit of traveling on the roadster, I really see exactly how small the trunk is. And such, space is at a premium. The CAN is just so much smaller and more elegant solution.

Cheaper is just a bonus.

strider pretty well covered it. If it's a public charger I recommend you stop charging at the station (swipe card, push button, etc.), or use your smart phone (Tattler or OVMS), or the VDS in the car. It's not a big deal if you just pull the J connector out but I don't recommend it. Thanks again strider for your excellent video:
http://www.one-ring.net/pics/J1772Adapter.mp4

I'm potentially interested in buying one if I can sell my long cable. I don't like how long the one I have now is, as it's clunky when trying to plug into the car without have the other end bang into the car.

Yeah, and the J1772 connector has to lay on the ground, in the mud, the flower bed, or the snow, depending on what you had to park next to. I've started keeping mine between the front seats (thanks DrTaras!) so I don't have to pop the trunk and empty it out to find the adapter. Why does it always migrate to the bottom?

And if anyone is wondering if they should buy one or not, I can attest to the quality. Henry is a good guy, has upgraded mine to the current finish at no cost, and offers a great product.
+1 on that for sure!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how big your case is, but the neoprene bag is, well, a bit baggy.
You know what, on 2nd thought, I'm good, nay, great without it. No need to put you through the added expense but thank YOU!
You're product is just like a Tesla... with improving firmware, it gets only better with time! :tongue:

I've mailed a padded bag to everyone who requested one. Let me know if it doesn't arrive in the next few days. If any other customers want one, flash your lights at me on the road, or just PM/post here. Thanks to everybody who's using the CAN!