Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That's about a 29k annual run rate. Amazing. 80 cars per day times 30 days/month = 2400/month times 12 months = 28,800 annual run rate

Not quite, they don't work weekends. 52 weeks/year * 5 days/week = 260 maximum production days/year

260 days per year / 12 months per year = 21.66 days/month maximum

From there you need to remove about 10 legal holidays / year, puts it at about 20-21 days per month of actual production, on average.

So, 20 days * 12 month * 80 cars/day, more like 19,200 per year

Not quite, they don't work weekends. 52 weeks/year * 5 days/week = 260 maximum production days/year

260 days per year / 12 months per year = 21.66 days/month maximum

From there you need to remove about 10 legal holidays / year, puts it at about 20 days per month of actual production, on average.

So, 20 days * 12 month * 80 cars/day, more like 19,200 per year

OK, that makes sense. I got prematurely too excited. :)

Wow! That's about a 29k annual run rate. Amazing. 80 cars per day times 30 days/month = 2400/month times 12 months = 28,800 annual run rate.
You are assuming that they run 7 days a week. Maybe they are, but it's not evident to me. In fact, if they are running at 5 days a week and build 80 cars per workday, then that's exactly in line with the 400-cars-per-week number that has been around for a while.

You are assuming that they run 7 days a week. Maybe they are, but it's not evident to me. In fact, if they are running at 5 days a week and build 80 cars per workday, then that's exactly in line with the 400-cars-per-week number that has been around for a while.

Underwhelming tweet. A better tweet would be they are now producing 100 cars on a single shift! And implied GM boost...

still waiting for this eventual bit of news

So as a sum up for today, TSLA tested the sub $90 region today again most likely due to the "sell the news" phenomenon, recovered due to strong buyer support in that region, hung out around the recent offering price, then shot up due to short covering? Any other thoughts are welcome.

Any thoughts about tomorrow? Maybe a further set of short covering to upper 90s and then settle back down to the $92 area or maybe mid 90 area with the usual volatility in between? I keep on waiting for the huge drop that a lot of us think might happen to the 80s, 70s, or lower (why I bought puts yesterday but sold today for a quick 9% profit on them) but it doesn't seem to want to happen. BTW, I hate that I have resorted to some mild "day trading" but I really want a Model S :D On a side note, I have qualified as of today for "premium" trading with my brokerage so it's $5.95 a trade for commission instead of $8.95, hahaha.

So as a sum up for today, TSLA tested the sub $90 region today again most likely due to the "sell the news" phenomenon, recovered due to strong buyer support in that region, hung out around the recent offering price, then shot up due to short covering? Any other thoughts are welcome.

Any thoughts about tomorrow? Maybe a further set of short covering to upper 90s and then settle back down to the $92 area or maybe mid 90 area with the usual volatility in between? I keep on waiting for the huge drop that a lot of us think might happen to the 80s, 70s, or lower (why I bought puts yesterday but sold today for a quick 9% profit on them) but it doesn't seem to want to happen. BTW, I hate that I have resorted to some mild "day trading" but I really want a Model S :D On a side note, I have qualified as of today for "premium" trading with my brokerage so it's $5.95 a trade for commission instead of $8.95, hahaha.

the kick from $93 to $96 may have been some shorts covering- but the inducement was Musk tweet on 80 cars today- it was a knee jerk to that tweet (which most here already expected, albeit a little early)- on a 6 day week, that's an annual of 25K, ramping into next year's 30K rate.

Last edited:

What broker do you use?

What broker do you use?

I use USAA for stocks as that's where I have direct deposit to and they let me move money directly from savings/checking directly into my brokerage account and it's instantly available for trading (and vice versa)! I use Fidelity for mutual funds as they are a buy and hold type thing and I don't mind waiting the 3 days or so for funds to show up in one place or the other.

I keep on waiting for the huge drop that a lot of us think might happen to the 80s, 70s, or lower ...

I personally think the days of the stock in the 70s and low/mid 80s are long gone. But maybe that's just my perspective. The company now has a large cash cushion and has growing momentum. The mood around the company is completely different than several weeks ago. I think the days of TSLA stock under $100 are short-lived.

I personally think the days of the stock in the 70s and low/mid 80s are long gone. But maybe that's just my perspective. The company now has a large cash cushion and has growing momentum. The mood around the company is completely different than several weeks ago. I think the days of TSLA stock under $100 are short-lived.

I hope you are right and wouldn't be surprised if you are...I've been telling family/friends/coworkers that are waiting to get in that "now" could be their last chance. If they are in it for the long run does it really matter that much if you bought in at $80 or $100 if it ends up at $300? The answer is it matters the world if you are waiting for $80 and you never got in because it never got there :D :D

I convinced my brother to buy 100 shares at $37 but other than that I've been unsuccessful.

Personally I have some cashed out profits for use in a potential downturn but enough calls that if it never goes down I will have minimal regrets.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a $3.95 flat rate for stocks for everyone at OptionsHouse. Up to 100 free trades for the first 60 days: OptionsHouse | Trade Free For 60 Days

I saw that when I first was trying to decide who to use for my brokerage. At the time I thought a couple dollars a trade wouldn't be worth the inconvenience of having to wait for ACH transfers. I also thought I would only do a trade every couple months or so. That was before I learned about those things called options...At least I got 50 free trades for the first 90 days with USAA.

plus there's the institutional investors in the 1B offering that have a vested interest in propping up the share price

Status
Not open for further replies.