Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cramer still hasn't flat out issued a buy recommendation on the stock, but came very close this morning. I wouldn't be surprised if he soon announces that he has bought both the car and the stock.

It's been hanging in there. I can see why someone wouldn't say to buy a stock when it fell from $115 to $88 in a week - nearly a 24% drop. It's dangerous. However, it has seemed to find some support and is beating the bearish technicals so I can see him changing his mind sooner than later too.

However, TSLA has cracked $100 a few times lately only to regress back to the mid to low $90's. So, we'll see if the pattern continues or if we see higher ground.

Alright here's the video of Cramer's tesla talk this morning: 06 14 2013 10 37 36 PM - YouTube

I just watched the video a few times and can't figure out what Cramer is really saying. Is he saying to buy the stock or not? He says "It's the Holy Grail" and such. But I don't hear a clear "buy". My take is he's beginning to understand the enthusiasm behind the stock and the stellar product... he's seeing the potential more. But he's still hesitant to recommend it as a clear "buy" to all his viewers.

I just watched the video a few times and can't figure out what Cramer is really saying. Is he saying to buy the stock or not? He says "It's the Holy Grail" and such. But I don't hear a clear "buy". My take is he's beginning to understand the enthusiasm behind the stock and the stellar product... he's seeing the potential more. But he's still hesitant to recommend it as a clear "buy" to all his viewers.

Indeed, Dave, I see it the same way. Last year and earlier this year he put out sell recommendations. Then a couple of weeks ago he test drove the car and fell in love with it. At that time he became noncommittal on the stock indicating it was hard to analyze due to what he perceived as a cult following. I saw that as a transition period for Cramer from earlier bearishness to eventual bullishness on the stock. He may not want to suddenly flip his opinion, but allow for a gradual period of reconsideration. That would make him appear more prudent and credible to viewers. As I indicated earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if he soon buys the car and recommends the stock.

Indeed, Dave, I see it the same way. Last year and earlier this year he put out sell recommendations. Then a couple of weeks ago he test drove the car and fell in love with it. At that time he became noncommittal on the stock indicating it was hard to analyze due to what he perceived as a cult following. I saw that as a transition period for Cramer from earlier bearishness to eventual bullishness on the stock. He may not want to suddenly flip his opinion, but allow for a gradual period of reconsideration. That would make him appear more prudent and credible to viewers. As I indicated earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if he soon buys the car and recommends the stock.

Hi Curt, yeah I also think he's going to buy his Model S soon (maybe he's already placed his order?). After 1-2 months of Model S ownership, he'll probably come around. :) If he doesn't come around by then, then when Tesla hits 25% gross margin the stock will be de-risked even more and that might give him confidence to recommend it. But by then the stock price will likely be higher and he could be hesitant. I think it's difficult for him to recommend a high-growth stock like TSLA (because of downside risk) unless you believe in the long-term story of Tesla (that they'll likely going to be a dominant car manufacturer). But Cramer is a pretty smart guy, and I think he's catching on to the long-term story of Tesla and might soon (or later) become a believer in it.

Update: for those interested in seeing Cramer's past calls on TSLA, see Mad Money Recap | Home

Last edited:
And of course, as always, when Cramer finally says to buy TSLA that is your queue to dump it all.

Cramer has mixed results but I wouldn't do the opposite of what he says. Sometimes he can be slow to catch on but often he does. And sometimes he can hold on a bit too long.

The example of AAPL comes to mind. He was generally bullish on AAPL during it's rise from 2007. He had periods of doubt (ie., Steve Jobs health). But he held with the stock from under $200 to $700. Lots of people said AAPL was overvalued but he kept on his "buy" recommendation and increasing his price targets (ie., Why Apple Is Worth $80 - Seeking Alpha or Apple pops on Mad Money report - Apple 2.0 -Fortune Tech). Got to give him some credit for that. I remember when AAPL was $200, most people I knew were scared off by the stock saying that AAPL was so "pricey" and "too expensive". But if you would have listened to Cramer (and actually did your homework) you could have made a lot of money on AAPL if you rode it up.

His mistake was he didn't see AAPL falling when it hit $700 and he kept saying it was a buy, but he eventually came around and told people to sell AAPL but after it dropped.

Cramer is an easy target because he actually says what he believes and then puts his trust's money where his mouth is too. Are a bunch of his calls wrong? Absolutely. But, I think if you look at most other people on TV or in journalism, you'll find that compared to Cramer, they are constantly riding the fence and/or hedging everything they say to try to avoid criticism when they are wrong (which is inevitably going to happen). When Cramer is wrong he (usually) owns up to it and eats self-prepared crow on his show.

After watching his show a few times you begin to realize that it is not about making stock recommendations. It is about teaching you how he decides which stocks to recommend so that you can do it yourself. He has a whole chapter in one of his books about NOT buying what he recommends just because he recommended it.

In order to get Cramer, you need to go a few levels deeper than what you see on the surface. There is a method to all the madness.

Could you people start a thread for all things related to Cramer?

Method to the madness? LOL, Cramer can suck on his exhaust pipe and get the rewards he deserves.

Ignore the short term. It is about the long term.

If you want short term, sell covered calls with pops up.

Two Things- first, keep in mind that for better or worse (because he does have real influence on real things), Cramer is there for one, and only one reason: so that the maximum number of eyeballs are on the screen when the commercials start. That's it, there is literally no other reason. The Cramers of the world get to where they are because they deliver eyeballs to commercials.

and- Are we celebrating each time our TSLA breaks thru $100 again? Don't tell me only the first one counts! I recall lamentations that the first break thru $100 was a gap up pre-market. Seems like we've had 5 for the price of one :rolleyes:! DonPedro, was that you? Norse? sorry I'm too lazy to go find it. Congrats on a Friday $100+ close! ML

Status
Not open for further replies.