Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3. Swap out your existing 60 or 85 kwh for a bigger battery that you could rent when you plan on taking a long trip, with the option to buy it at any time (JRod0802, props for remembering that “400, why not 500” comment. I was taking notes during that call and that statement caught my attention too J. To get 500 miles of range, using the existing batt tech, the pack would have to be 160kwh. That would be pretty crazy if they offered that.

I wonder how many existing owners would go for that pack. How much would it cost?

He has also said (not sure if it was the same interview) that the current battery range was designed for what makes the most sense for typical users--enough to take away range anxiety, not constantly having to worry about how many miles are left, but also not carrying excess capacity all the time that rarely gets used.

In that respect, swapping on occasion (when needed) to a battery that supports 500 mile range on a single charge just makes perfect sense.

I think if Elon is able to clearly communicate the different scenarios and use cases for battery swap versus SuperCharger versus charging your own battery over night at home, we have a winner on Thursday and I don't see a risk of the stock nose diving.

I don't like this sudden jump. There are a few fishy things happening with TSLA right now. Why did Elon tweet about this? Why announce this a few days in advance? It makes NO sense...but only IF battery swapping is all he'll be announcing...

I feel like somebody knows something that we don't.... and I don't like it at all.

I don't like this sudden jump. There are a few fishy things happening with TSLA right now. Why did Elon tweet about this? Why announce this a few days in advance? It makes NO sense...but only IF battery swapping is all he'll be announcing...

I feel like somebody knows something that we don't.... and I don't like it at all.

I've been toying with this idea all day. If he preannounced this, does that mean that there are more surprises planned for Thursday? I can't imagine what.

I've been toying with this idea all day. If he preannounced this, does that mean that there are more surprises planned for Thursday? I can't imagine what.

"The idea is obvious (many things allow battery swap), but the technology is not."

Well, it's the technology. How do you do a battery swap that's not either a 'in-person swap' or a 'drive-through robotic swap' (the 2 obvious technologies).

My vote is for Roomba-tteries. (If this is primary battery swapping).

"The idea is obvious (many things allow battery swap), but the technology is not."

Well, it's the technology. How do you do a battery swap that's not either a 'in-person swap' or a 'drive-through robotic swap' (the 2 obvious technologies).

My vote is for Roomba-tteries. (If this is primary battery swapping).

Roomba-tteries. That's awesome. So the batteries would be carried by some kind of roomba-like device to the car but how would the exchange happen?

- - - Updated - - -

Unconfirmed rumor that GM wants to use Tesla tech

Where did you hear the rumor?

Roomba-tteries. That's awesome. So the batteries would be carried by some kind of roomba-like device to the car but how would the exchange happen?

No. The batteries is a 'Roomba'. i.e. They're retrofitted with retractable wheels. One battery lowers itself and drives out and plugs itself into the charger. Another drives in and raises itself.

This allows any business who buys a battery or two and a charger to become a Tesla Swapper Station ("throughout the country"). Doesn't even need to be a DC charger.

Where did you hear the rumor?

http://www.streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Tesla+(TSLA)+Ramps+Higher+(GM)/8427783.html

No. The batteries is a 'Roomba'. i.e. They're retrofitted with retractable wheels. One battery lowers itself and drives out and plugs itself into the charger. Another drives in and raises itself.

This allows any business who buys a battery or two and a charger to become a Tesla Swapper Station ("throughout the country"). Doesn't even need to be a DC charger.

Wow, that would be incredible. But it's hard to believe (at least in the near-term) that a battery pack could be retrofitted to be able to drive, lift itself and remove 20+ bolts by itself.

GM spokes person "isn't aware" of any discussions with Tesla. Language like "not aware" isn't objective at all and further, a spokes person might not be involved at this time.

Then again, a rumor is a rumor. Who knows.

I feel like Elon has a bone to pick with GM though as the CEP has said some negative things lately and GM killed EV-1 - something Elon took personally it seems.

Elon hopefully will have quite a bit in store for us. This is the last announcement and then he said that Tesla will be going quiet for a while to focus on the global roll out which is arguably more important for Shareholders because the opportunity is bigger where gas is more expensive.

Elon hopefully will have quite a bit in store for us. This is the last announcement and then he said that Tesla will be going quiet for a while to focus on the global roll out which is arguably more important for Shareholders because the opportunity is bigger where gas is more expensive.

Any news beyond the demonstration would likely be interesting. It could stir some of those sleeping analysts that are hesitant to comment on young companies without long records of profits.

Then next week comes window dressing. That's the tendency of money managers to load up on winning stocks before a snapshot is taken of their portfolios at the end of a quarter. That's to make them appear to have been smart all quarter long. It may seem silly, but apparently the ruse works or they wouldn't keep doing it. Few of them will want their clients to not find TSLA in their holdings, and certainly not as a short position. This will especially be the case for those money managers who require the backing of analysts, and a few more of those may come onboard Monday.

However, many analysts will still feel its prudent to hold back comment until the July 24th earnings report. I wouldn't be surprised if Elon has been sandbagging and the report will be a blowout. If so, the sky's the limit.

I'd really appreciate it if Tesla would preannounce that they are going to be profitable in Q2 before my calls expire this week. Just sayin'...

Yeah same boat here- been hanging on because they lost enough value it wasn't worth dumping them I figured.

I was hoping for some kind of better guidance last week but it wasn't to be. Last quarter their guidance came out the day after the qtr closed for them so possibly July 1st I'm thinking, which doesn't help now.

Have a few days to go though, something major could happen between then and now...

Yeah same boat here- been hanging on because they lost enough value it wasn't worth dumping them I figured.

I was hoping for some kind of better guidance last week but it wasn't to be. Last quarter their guidance came out the day after the qtr closed for them so possibly July 1st I'm thinking, which doesn't help now.

Have a few days to go though, something major could happen between then and now...

The big question is whether to hold Jun 13 calls until after the announcement (Friday) or to sell tomorrow or Thursday if there is further gains before the announcement... decisions decisions... If we have a nice gain tomorrow or thursday I will probably sell some and keep some...

Status
Not open for further replies.