Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the other car companies catch up in battery tech and decide to produce cars that compete strongly with their own ICE counterparts (rather than being inferior adaptations), by that time the built out supercharger network will be a huge advantage to Tesla. I still think the other car companies only see EVs as Eco city cars.

Even if the other car companies catch up in battery tech and decide to produce cars that compete strongly with their own ICE counterparts (rather than being inferior adaptations), by that time the built out supercharger network will be a huge advantage to Tesla. I still think the other car companies only see EVs as Eco city cars.

I agree with first assessment but later one is weak meaning they can install their own chargers (even two per gas station if EV become very common and % goes up against ICE)

In future gas station will be hybrid station :eek:

I agree with first assessment but later one is weak meaning they can install their own chargers (even two per gas station if EV become very common and % goes up against ICE)

It's expensive and takes time, and they will need to adopt yet another new DC standard to match the charging speeds of the superchargers. There's also a chicken and egg problem. Nobody will install chargers until there are cars to use them, but people will continue to buy Tesla's if they are the ones with convenient chargers. You argue that once EVs are common chargers will be everywhere. Sure, that's true, but what we're talking about here is who is selling the EVs during the growth curve before that happens. If the other car companies only start to compete after Tesla has made EVs common they are toast, and I still believe they are going to have trouble with the infrastructure before then.

I disagree. Why would gas stations allow them to install them there? That would just make them sell less gas, and that's what they are making money on (and hot dogs and coke though). I can't see gas stations paying for a free charging network, and I can't see the car companies agree on a good standard for the future, and I can't see them work together on installing chargers. If the charging isn't free, then Tesla will have a huge advantage. This is iTunes all over again just that the supercharges are great, which iTunes clearly isn't

I disagree. Why would gas stations allow them to install them there? That would just make them sell less gas, and that's what they are making money on (and hot dogs and coke though). I can't see gas stations paying for a free charging network, and I can't see the car companies agree on a good standard for the future, and I can't see them work together on installing chargers. If the charging isn't free, then Tesla will have a huge advantage. This is iTunes all over again just that the supercharges are great, which iTunes clearly isn't

It certainly is not. Gas stations make their money on the ancillary items and car washes that they sell you. Gas is notoriously low-margin. While I don't think gas station operators will be flocking to transition to chargers instead of pumps, in the end they care about getting customers into their business. Whether they are making 1-2% on gas or on electricity is likely not their foremost concern.

Todays gas station make more profit selling producs in the shop than selling gas. Selling electric power to customers makes them spent some time, sip a coffee etc.

Yep, which is why I've always thought QT would be the perfect company to transition to chargers. I'm not sure how entangled they are with the oil companies, like others are, but I know they make most of their money off their general store. My aunt used to work for one of the big banks and one of her accounts was QT.

It certainly is not. Gas stations make their money on the ancillary items and car washes that they sell you. Gas is notoriously low-margin. While I don't think gas station operators will be flocking to transition to chargers instead of pumps, in the end they care about getting customers into their business. Whether they are making 1-2% on gas or on electricity is likely not their foremost concern.

And the fact is that people in EVs are more likely to spend the extra time buying stuff than people just filling up. However, especially out of cities in places where only the Model S currently has the range to reach conveniently, I believe there is a real chicken and egg problem for other EV companies. In all these areas other companies can eventually compete, sure. The question is whether they will be able to before Tesla starts selling in large volumes and makes inroads into their market share.

Exactly. A gas station near my folks house stopped selling gas years ago because it wasn't worth the trouble. They make their money doing maintenance and selling well marked up basic consumer products.

Elon Musk just tweeted:
Twitter / elonmusk: Oh yeah, well Tesla will study ...

"Oh yeah, well Tesla will study a plan to study the GM team that's studying Tesla, so there! http://www.autonews.com/article/20130722/OEM/307229980/tiny-tesla-a-threat-to-gm-akerson-takes-no-chances-assigns-study-team"

Gotta love it! This has got to rank as one of his best tweets ever. :)

Lol. The reply is even more entertaining...

But on a more serious note, I don't think it is good for Elon to tease them. Us as fans can be that role, but Elon is better off maintaining his non-confrontational image.

And don't attack me for the above comment. I am a huge Elon fanboy and will still be. :)

But on a more serious note, I don't think it is good for Elon to tease them. Us as fans can be that role, but Elon is better off maintaining his non-confrontational image.

And don't attack me for the above comment. I am a huge Elon fanboy and will still be. :)

They don't have to study anything. I'm sure Tesla would be willing to license their drivetrain technology to GM, for a price.
This is exactly what Elon wants in the long term, more EV's on the market faster and more competition. Even with licensing Teslas drivetrain technology, GM will still be a long way from having a vehicle as good as the Model S. They spent $1B developing the Volt...

Exactly. A gas station near my folks house stopped selling gas years ago because it wasn't worth the trouble. They make their money doing maintenance and selling well marked up basic consumer products.

that's what I am saying. Even chargers don't have to be free because I am going to pay something at home charging (so same rate or more discount will do the trick)

If you are buying expensive EV version they can include FREE charging for life deal (give them a card or something...don't want to get into details)

Also they can install more chargers in same space and without worry about lot of safety concern (lot of shell gas went under renovation in my area)

Normally I would agree with you Kevin, but when you're not only winning but will soon be crushing the competition it gives you the right to be "cocky" in my opinion.

It certainly is not. Gas stations make their money on the ancillary items and car washes that they sell you.

That is actually an interesting idea. If Tesla owners had car washes at Supercharging stations, that's one more thing they could do to "kill time" while charging. There's only so much coffee and In-and-Out burgers one can eat before feeling sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.