Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! I didn't say you'd have a hose, or that you'd be close by (drive through car washes in the area where there is shopping).....but I can see you like to cause trouble, and I appreciated the laugh. I'm am now picturing you as a giant animated monkey wrecking havoc along the freeways. Thanks!

But we already have battery chemistry that requires less management, LiFePO4 and Lithium titanate, they just don't have the energy density and low cost, though LiFePO4 in volume production should actually be cheaper than the cells Tesla is currently using. I'd even argue that Nissan's chemistry needs less temperature management, though they took it too far by using none.

We do have battery chemistries which don't require thermal management (or less of it), but when you use the word "already", it suggests that future battery techs will in general require less thermal management. However it may be that for a very long time, a trade-off with other features will remain. Those chemistries, without that requirement, are not necessarily the exclusive path to the future.

So for as long as Tesla has better thermal management, Tesla may also often (or even always) be able to use battery technologies which have better features otherwise. The point being, that we are not necessarily moving from one to the other. (And certainly not any time soon.)

The president really seems to be hyping up the economics speech tomorrow. I know it can be akin to reading tea leaves to prognosticate what that can mean for the stock market in general, much less the impact on TSLA, but does anyone have any insight on past economics speeches by sitting presidents? Particularly when the president is excited about giving it? Is it insignificant in the obstructionist Congress era? Or will there be meaningful policy changes/reform that Obama can enact through executive order?

Are the arbitrage computers asleep at the wheel today? That $9.30 ask is me - how did this not get sold? Groan.

Arbitrage.png

Testing 120 level again, what's happening?

Recent price levels likely brought in weak longs who set tight stop loss limits. When a hedge fund initiates a quick short selling program, it triggers a cascade through all of those limits. The fund can then cover leisurely during the rest of the day and reap a profit.

Short interest will be reported after the market close today. It should be interesting.

I am getting slaughtered today.... MU, SOL, SPWR and TSLA all down big.... :(

I took advantage of it and bought some more SOL at $4.12. Already back up above $4.25

These are the opportunities you need to take advantage of as an investor. SOL just ran up 100% in a month. It has corrected almost 20% since yesterday morning, and since my investment thesis on SOL has not changed I quickly scooped up a few thousand more shares. People will take profits after a 100% run up in a stock. Doesn't mean that the rally is over. If the stock goes below $4, I will buy even more.

I hear you sleepy on grabbing more. I couldnt because i am saving my last chunk of investment money to put on TSLA for earnings, which i am still un-easy about. you never know how the street will take anything in a earning report.

Sorry to go off topic here again, but I didn't have any cash either. So I sold some SPWR (about 1% - 2% down) and some SCTY (about break even) and bought some SOL that was down 8%. Quick reshuffling of the portfolio to take advantage of irrational price swings.

With a long range goal of accumulating shares and options for the earnings, I've been riding this volatility - especially at market open.

Picked up some Sept $150 calls when they bottomed out this morning at $3.50
Having buy limit orders in for options that I would be happy keeping for the next month or so at a bargain is how I'm accumulating.

Just bought more August 150 calls.
Lowered my average buy and basically gambling.
Any good news or good earnings and i'll make a killing or lose it all.

I've got a few of those right now, picked up some Sept 150's too and some Aug 190 lottery tickets (Only a couple hundred bucks worth though) For some reason, I'm nervous as I have no idea how good or bad news will be received leading up to and after the ER.

Does anyone have a portfolio made up exclusively of TSLA options? If so, what strikes and expiration do you have? I currently have 100% in Tsla Sept 115s bought awhile back for around 10.65. Contemplating whether it would be prudent to hold through earnings or roll prior to earnings to jan 14 or jan 15. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.