Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a ton more thoughts on this, but I'll end it here and save it for a later time... maybe... if anybody's curious.

DaveT,
Your thoughts and comments are highly valued and helpful, so I don't think I am alone in saying that you have an audience here that appreciates your contributions. So please, by all means, keep sharing your thoughts and analyses with us.
Thank you.

I think there is a general trend out there to not understand the valuation model for Tesla. Bears talk about P:E as usual and actually so do the Longs in the main along with reasons why the fundamentals will ultimately catch up, or why it's ok to be a long way ahead of them.

I honestly think it is possible to take it one step further and take a look at a valuation model that is actually predictive.

In my opinion (and observation), the value of this business can be expected to conform to a tech adoption curve. This is more or less a companion piece to the Innovator's Dilemma defining disruptive technologies.

Tesla is Innovative (disruptive if you like) on two levels, not just in terms of technology, but also in terms of the business model applicable to financing and sales. It is the only mass production car manufacturer with a cash flow positive sales model.

"[Pure EVs are] for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are."

This is precisely true of the wrong idea about EVs. All of the other EVs including the Nissan Leaf fall into this category, and cannot be expected to break into mass adoption (or even early adoption). Hence price-cuts below cost to try to move them, same with the Volt.

Tesla offers the magic combination of desirable vehicles and an answer to environmental concerns in one package. It alone amongst EVs has broken into the Innovator and Early Adopter phases of the Tech adoptionn curve and delighted them both to the extreme. Next stop on the curve is Early Mainstream. A sales volume predictably 3400% of the Early Adopter market in accordance with the same theory and pattern of behavior observed of Tesla and the market response it has garnered, and the failure predicted by the same model applies to Tesla's EV competitors, and to the behavior of the ICE industry in response to Tesla. In other words we have a complete and rigorous working model of Tesla and its stock price that does not require exuberance or skepticism to determine what is going on and what is likely to occur in future.

By any other thesis or analogy, yes the price is too high. But by the correct modelling approach for the actual asset class that this is, then the story is very different. The current price actually undervalues relatively near-trem prospects. In other words (day-trading on volatility aside) not investing in Tesla now will actually prove to be a regrettable financial error in ways that investors can be very certain of.

Look at Tech Adoption post early adoption for a minute and you see an exponential curve. We have 20K sales this year (give or take) and 40,000 as a reasonable estimate for 2014. We can just as easily assume 80K sales in 2015 and 160K sales in 2016. Now here it gets really interesting. 2016 we will have hard evidence of Gen III sales (the reservation list will be open and packed out and first delivery events taking place in the back end of the year). Forget about people doubting that will happen, they are irrelevant. End of 2016 300K cumulative car sales, and the first delivery of the Gen III. That triggers the last of Musk's 10 milestones and Wall Street I believe will be comfortable to see that met with Musk's $43.2bn Market Cap.

We have therefore a clear path from $17~18bn to $42.2bn in 3 years. That is a no bull bull argument.

We can just as easily assume 80K sales in 2015 and 160K sales in 2016. Now here it gets really interesting. 2016 we will have hard evidence of Gen III sales (the reservation list will be open and packed out and first delivery events taking place in the back end of the year).

I have to believe that at least 50% of Tesla car owners will put their names down on the Gen III reservation list as soon as it opens. Wives, husbands, kids, grand children, family, friends, ... Tesla will continue to see demand greater than their production capacity for years and years to come!

Next stop on the curve is Early Mainstream. A sales volume predictably 3400% of the Early Adopter market in accordance with the same theory and pattern of behavior observed of Tesla and the market response it has garnered, and the failure predicted by the same model applies to Tesla's EV competitors, and to the behavior of the ICE industry in response to Tesla.
End of 2016 300K cumulative car sales, and the first delivery of the Gen III.

Julian, I can see how you frame this. What is your thought on the battery constraint and production constraint in general, as Elon mentioned. It appears to me one can not simply apply the adoption curve to Tesla. I agree the demand is there. The question is whether Tesla can fill the demands timely?

I quoted two places where I think it is very optimistic. Would appreciate your thoughts on that.

F2_0.jpg
This is a formulaic, no BS, method of predicting the roll out of Tesla. I would suggest that we are currently looking at a point around 1/3 of the way up the early adoption curve. What really matters here is that for example Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt never did and never will get out of the innovator phase. BMWi3 will never get out of the innovator phase either. What sets Tesla apart is that it has got out of the innovator phase and has a distribution of customers already that spans Early Adopters and actually some Early Mainstream also. I temper it to 1/3 of the way up the EA curve because of geographical distribution. In Silicon Vally Tesla is in the Early Mainstream already, giving huge reassurance that there is a predictable pattern.

Early Mainstream Definition (mine anyway): Folk who have all the references they need that someone has tried it before and it's a good and sensible thing in terms of value for money and quality of aftercare service to spend hard earned money on.

CEO Elon Musk has alluded to it in an interview by referring to the rate of accumulated customer adoption in an "S" pattern annotated with Crossing The Chasm keywords: innovators, early adopters, early mainstream, late mainstream and so on (an "S" shape is also my favorite way of picturing the rate-change of a bell-shaped curve).

Now in regards to what is going to stop this happening: (hint: nothing).

The Innovator's Dilemma and its solution

The formula for disruption moves inexorably to its logical conclusion once it takes root. At the outset, a small team with a new technology can be massively motivated to win early adopters representing less than 1% of the market of an incumbent technology. By way of illustration in the auto industry, 1% of the customers of a large ICE manufacturer is a very attractive win for a small newcomer. Conversely, for the large ICE manufacturer defending against the loss of that 1% of its customers by direct competition will cost far more than retaining those customers is worth. The ICE manufacturer simply cannot afford to build a great EV and declare with full force that EVs are now the way forward and ICE is old news with sufficient integrity to retain that 1%, because by doing so it risks alienating 99% of its customer base and destroying the economics of amortizing capital equipment for ICE production. Retaining 1% of its customers cannot foot the bill for the damage.
What the ICE company will tend to do instead is half-hearted harassment in the 1% space: Hybrids.
By the time the young EV company has won a meaningful quantity of customers away from the ICE manufacturer, for example 10%, the larger company is faced with losing money and market share rapidly while the small company has by then attained brand leadership in the new technology wave and is accelerating geometrically to becoming too expensive and too confident to be purchased. In a battle between a small money-making enterprise and a large money-losing enterprise, it is inevitable that market leader positions will be reversed with catastrophic consequences for the old incumbent.
There are very few valid defenses against this formula.

All of this: Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): On Elon Musk And Tesla Motors: The Art Of Modern Warfare In A Noble Cause - Seeking Alpha

Last edited:
Tesla will continue to see demand greater than their production capacity for years and years to come!

This is not necessarily is a good thing. I really hope Tesla will fix it production capacity ASAP and become demand limited company. And in fact this was a stated goal by Elon during Q2 Q&A. That would allow Tesla to expand their line up of cars faster. I believe Nissan got 64 different car models, some available on selected markets only. Would love to see few dozens models offered by Tesla.

And it looks like Tesla postponed Model X introduction because Model S sells so well that they do not need to introduce new model to keep 100% utilization of current production capacity. But hey, would not it be better if even more EVs hit the road? Sure it is hard and gross margins should be kept under control. And worldwide battery production capacity is an important limiting factor too.

Look at Tech Adoption post early adoption for a minute and you see an exponential curve. We have 20K sales this year (give or take) and 40,000 as a reasonable estimate for 2014. We can just as easily assume 80K sales in 2015 and 160K sales in 2016. Now here it gets really interesting. 2016 we will have hard evidence of Gen III sales (the reservation list will be open and packed out and first delivery events taking place in the back end of the year). Forget about people doubting that will happen, they are irrelevant. End of 2016 300K cumulative car sales, and the first delivery of the Gen III. That triggers the last of Musk's 10 milestones and Wall Street I believe will be comfortable to see that met with Musk's $43.2bn Market Cap.

We have therefore a clear path from $17~18bn to $42.2bn in 3 years. That is a no bull bull argument.

+1

yep, this is why I'm in TSLA long term from last year. Haven't sold any shares. I just keep buying the dips

- - - Updated - - -

This is not necessarily is a good thing. I really hope Tesla will fix it production capacity ASAP and become demand limited company. And in fact this was a stated goal by Elon during Q2 Q&A. That would allow Tesla to expand their line up of cars faster. I believe Nissan got 64 different car models, some available on selected markets only. Would love to see few dozens models offered by Tesla.

And it looks like Tesla postponed Model X introduction because Model S sells so well that they do not need to introduce new model to keep 100% utilization of current production capacity. But hey, would not it be better if even more EVs hit the road? Sure it is hard and gross margins should be kept under control. And worldwide battery production capacity is an important limiting factor too.

Yeah, I'm really curious about the production capacity growth plans. I guess TM is only going to use the existing model S line and just run more shifts (maybe 24/7) on the existing Model S line. Max utilization. Something like 140 robots total involved in Model S overall.

Appears that TM only adds a new production line for Model X.

When do qualitative/quantitative beliefs converge

Alright guys, thanks for the encouragement. Just want to clarify though, I'd like nothing more than critical feedback. My aspiration is to be able to test our thoughts/theses on our TSLA investments so we can be informed and make better decisions.

So, I'll continue on some thoughts I left off on earlier this morning.

I'm thinking there might need a convergence of beliefs regarding TSLA in order for volatility (and short interest) to wear off. As long as there's such division and wide dispersion of beliefs (ie., $80 vs 200 price targets), then this only encourages both shorts and longs. It also leads to the inevitable sentiment battles to sway the stock in up/down directions.

So, I was talking with my wife last night about the theory of dispersion of beliefs and short interest. I was thinking what would it take for the dispersion of beliefs to converge, meaning when will the quantitative and qualitative folks all join together in peace and harmony (ok, kind of joking here... what I mean is when will they sort of agree regarding Tesla and its valuation). When, I look at Google's IPO in 2004, it seems like there were a lot of skeptics at first, but then after their IPO every quarterly ER would be blowout revenue and earnings. Google's revenue/earnings growth rate was astounding. After a year or so, people (both quantitative and qualitative) started to converge in their thoughts regarding GOOG. Though there were disparities, both camps saw the trajectory of GOOG since it was undeniable. Qualitative folks got in to GOOG first, but later quantative folks came around after the numbers kept improving (Note: if you were invested in GOOG at this time would love to hear your perspective on this.).

So, with Tesla I'm thinking that Tesla's numbers (revenue, units, profit, margin, etc) need to keep improving and improving at a rapid pace in order to win over the quantitative folks. When the quantitative folks see quarterly revenue/profit/units/margin increasing at a rapid rate, then that's something they can get behind... and they can raise their price targets accordingly. Now what we have with Tesla is currently they're production constrained. So, while they are focused on improving gross margin to 25% by the end of the year (which will be very impressive to quantitative folks), they are constrained on how fast they can ramp revenue and units delivered. In the meantime, the stock keeps rising. Thus, the numbers aren't convincing enough for the quantitative folks to get behind the massive stock price rise.

On the other side, you could make the argument that quantitative folks need only to look at revenue from 2011/2012 and compare that to revenue in 2013 for them to become convinced at Tesla's growth. But I'm not convinced that that will be enough. I think that the quantitative folks really need quarter-by-quarter reassurance that the numbers are significantly improving, and this gives the quantitative basis for them jumping on board to justify the high valuation of the company.

So, the question becomes when will Tesla reach the point when they can demonstrate significant enough quarterly growth (ie., revenue, units, etc) to "win over" the quantitative folks? And the other challenge is that the greater the stock price, the greater the quarterly growth needs to be to "win over" the quantitative camp.

According to Q2 ER, it appears that Tesla is significantly production constrained and the constraints are regarding suppliers (something that is not in Tesla's full control). Tesla needs to overcome bottlenecks by waiting/helping current suppliers ramp up, choosing new suppliers, or moving some more productions of parts in-house. The result of these production challenges is that it's unlikely that Tesla will blowout revenue or units delivered for Q3 or Q4.

It appears that Elon is forecasting production constraints will be largely overcome in Q1/Q2 of 2014 and that they will try to test the limits of Model S demand sometime in 2014. As production constraints get overcome, Tesla will be able to ramp production and by ramping production this will significantly increase revenue, which is what's needed to win over the quantitive folks like Archambault from Goldman (and others). (Note: the other way for the quantitative folks to be won over is for them to be more open to the qualitative aspects of Tesla/Model S. For example, for Archambault and others to realize how much better the Model S is than its competitors.)

Another possibility is that Tesla reaching 25% gross margin might be enough to win over a lot of the quantitive camp. I think this could be the case, but I'm not sure if it'll do the complete job. I think it solidifies Tesla as a luxury niche automaker in the eyes of the quantitive camp, but doesn't justify Tesla's market cap (as a potential mass market car company).

IMO the 25% gross margin goal might actually encourage more qualitative folks to jump in. I think the combination of the Model S being an awesome car and the fact that Tesla is proving it can execute (w/25% GM), will encourage new investors to jump on board.

(Side note: the qualitative folks drive a Model S and exclaim, "The writing is on the wall! Tesla just needs to shrink this and make it cheaper, and they'll take over the world!" The quantitative folks look at the challenges of mass market auto production, the competition, the reality of low margins downstream, etc. and see Tesla's chances of escaping the niche luxury market and going mass market as slim.)

So, I'm currently thinking that as Tesla ramps up production in 2014, the growth in revenue quarter-to-quarter might enough to win over more in the quantitative camp and we might see more convergence of beliefs regarding Tesla.

However, I'm also thinking that there could exist a large dispersion of beliefs even until Gen III. The reason being is that Gen III is a concept. Tesla doesn't even have a prototype yet. As a quantitative person, imagine what reason would you give for a super high TSLA valuation when Tesla doesn't even have the Gen III in production yet. The quantitative person isn't betting on concepts and promises. They want to see real products with real revenues and real quarterly growth. Thus, until Gen III comes out and kicks the BMW 3 Series butt, I can still imagine for people to have a wide range of opinions and beliefs regarding Tesla. This will only be exacerbated if the stock price rises.

I think a Gen III prototype might help some quantitative people "imagine" what Gen III revenue and demand might be like. But it will still be a stretch. I think a Gen III prototype actually might help more qualitative folks become new investors in TSLA as they get excited about how awesome a car Gen III will be and how it can potentially dominate the BMW 3 series market (and beyond) eventually. So, a Gen III prototype might win over some quantitive folks but it will also draw in new investors in the qualitative camp, thus probably raising the stock price. The higher the stock price, the more reason the quantitive folks will have to be skeptical and to think the stock is overvalued. Thus, the dispersion of beliefs continue.

So, when does short interest return to decently normal levels (ie., at least under 10mm shares)? I don't have a clear picture. I think it first needs to dip under 15mm shares for us to see significantly lower amount of volatility. This could happen with 25% GM (or sooner), or it could happen with ramped production in 2014. It could happen later (if Gen III prototype pushes stock price even higher by qualitative folks). On the other hand, it could happen sooner than I'm expecting (ie., within next couple months?) if somehow pessimistic folks capitulate to the qualitative aspects of the car/company/ceo. But I'm not seeing that as likely. The more people pump Elon Musk as the next Tony Stark (or whoever you want to compare him with), the more it gives room for people to take the other side and say it's fluff and premature.

In summary, as long as there's a wide dispersion of beliefs regarding Tesla and its valuation, I think it seems like we'll see continued strong short interest (ie., above 15mm shares) and continued volatility (in both directions, but IMO trending up over time).

This has been noted before, but there remains a lot of weak and/or misguided information out there about Tesla. Part of it I think is natural because with a new technology (EV) and a new company, there's natural confusion trying to figure out how profound (or not) the impact of the new tech/company will be. I also think the "short TSLA" movement also is partially responsible for this as well. They appear to be aggressively emailing and contacting media outlets spreading their negative propaganda (based on weak information) to media outlets, reporters and analysts.

I think over time, correct and better information is bound to get out more (especially as more owners spread the word of how awesome their cars are). The greater the accuracy and quality of the information out there, I think we'll see a greater convergence of beliefs surrounding the company as well. This will also contribute to a reduction of volatility and short interest.

I was thinking that accurate/better information is already penetrating media outlets very quickly and that this would converge beliefs and reduce short interest and volatility. However, the high short interest (7/31 settlement date) got me thinking that there's still a lot of poor information out there and wide-ranging opinions on the company and valuation. So, my current thinking is that prior to let's say a couple months ago, I'd say the TSLA qualitative optimists were far and few on media. But now, media is catching on and you have a lot more qualitative optimists on TV, web, newspapers, etc. than before. However, I'm thinking there are still as many quantitative pessimists as there are qualitative optimists in mainstream media. Thus, demonstrating the wide dispersion of beliefs that keep short interest high.

But we'll see. If short interest dramatically drops, then that might be a sign that TSLA opinion is converging (and this could be a result of better/accurate information getting out there). If that happens, then volatility will likely decrease as well. So, I'm not ruling out that volatility decreases in the coming weeks (as well as short interest), but I'm just not expecting it. Currently I'm expecting volatility and short interest to remain fairly high for the coming months. If this is the case, I think it might present some interesting buying/trading opportunities.

Anyway, I share these background processes that shape some of my views on the stock price/prospects, so it can benefit some but also so I can receive some critical feedback. Cheers.

Whats going on in the last hour? It was an "okay" day but then bam... I still don't quite understand these types of fluctuations yet I guess...

Jeff

We are being driven by the technical day traders right now. They are looking to test $145.

- - - Updated - - -

We are being driven by the technical day traders right now. They are looking to test $145.

Okay, now they want yesterday's low.

To the few post above, here are my thoughts.

So let's go over what the majority of investor's know (the qualitative)
- Great leadership
- Great product
- Execution Focus
- Government Assistance
- Track record of performance

All of the qualitative traits mean nothing. I always have these debates with my "quant friends" who work on the street. Here's what I think what it's really going to take to get the financial gurus who are sticklers to start considering Tesla as a sound investment is the following:
- 4 Straight quarters of profitability (GAAP not Non-GAAP).
- 2 Quarters of Margin improvement (ex. ZEV Credits)
- Supply Chain improvements. I think this is the blaring one that alarms many folks. Although Tesla doesn't have control over their supplier's, I think they absolutely can send an engineer or two over (if they haven't already) to work WITH the supplier to get all the parts necessary to ship cars. Right now, it's a question of: Why aren't parts being delivered? Is it that the supplier can't keep up or isn't as efficient... or is it an issue of lack of belief in Tesla's demand.
- The launch of Model X. No quant will put all their eggs in one basket. That's essentially what Tesla is doing, putting all it's eggs in Model S.

This debate has always been the rage in the finance world. I remember when I had Apple at $80 and I interviewed at the now defunct Lehman Brothers. They asked me which stocks I would buy and why. I told them I would get the Visa IPO and Apple Shares. I told them that at its core these businesses had sound leadership, execution, and play in markets that are relatively recession proof or not as price sensitive. More importantly, I asked them what are you carrying around these days? A credit card. check. A iPod. check. Enough said for me. The products make up the dollars and if management has an inkling of a brain they wouldn't let dollars go to waste and continue to innovate. When a company stops innovating, it's death and I'd sell it faster than you can say sell. They all laughed at me and needless to say I didn't get the job.

So to bring it around to Tesla. I'm confident because of my years (however few) of experience. I've seen enough and done enough homework to know that it's not just a numbers game. If everybody thought like a quant, all business would come to a halt because a startup business would be negative in the first few years. You need to spend money to make money. If everybody thought like they did, there's not point in owning anything. There will always be sunk costs, depreciating assets, etc. I'm hoping this all makes sense to some on this board.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, now they want yesterday's low.

I feel like there is no one left to buy, everyone wants to sell. I realize that's not the factual case but things just haven't been good since the earnings for whatever reason. Sure the Thursday pop was nice but it's been generally downhill from there which really doesn't make sense to me but then again, I'm a newbie...

Jeff

I feel like there is no one left to buy, everyone wants to sell. I realize that's not the factual case but things just haven't been good since the earnings for whatever reason. Sure the Thursday pop was nice but it's been generally downhill from there which really doesn't make sense to me but then again, I'm a newbie...

Jeff

Try to keep perspective. The shorts are patting themselves on the back because they've managed to short TSLA back down to what was an all-time high just a week ago. Small victory if you ask me. Stocks don't go straight up. It looks like we are consolidating here, which is good. We are building a much stronger base than we had when we jumped on earnings.

TSLA has held up well considering the flood of articles about how "overvalued" it is, and how it is time to take profits. Let's get some distance between us and earnings so that people stop writing/talking about how "overvalued" the stock is. I think getting out of the news would do TSLA a lot of good. The relatively low volatility we've seen the last two days will probably turn the day traders off (can't make enough money on such small swings). Then we can get back to climbing higher.

I didn't hear much news out of the analyst event today. I hope they post that soon, I'd like to hear what they had to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.