Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to see an announcement of a megagigawhatever factory. Increased battery supply and lower battery cost are probably the two biggest issues standing in the way of great execution in the years ahead. A battery deal would probably send shares up 10-15% in minutes. Automatic driving is a nice to have, but batteries are a need to have.

I'm sure this one is waiting in the wings. Will probably hear an announcement at a critical pre-Q3 date. I wish I could pinpoint when that was... Sleepy?

Just to play devils advocate a bit here, is the DB upgrade really that big a deal? Will it really cause a 10% or even 5% increase?

I said "spark a 10% rally." It will not happen all in one day, it can take a couple of weeks but I believe we will now see $180's in the near future. Then a well timed GS report will not the stock price back down for another pre-earnings sale.

Ok, I wish it was that easy. It is impossible to tell what will happen, but the odds favor the upside. That is all you can do in investing: play the odds and bet when they are in your favor.

[Funny, every time I see mention of Deutsche Bank, I am reminded of Michael Lewis's THE BIG SHORT, which offered a, shall we say, less than complimentary depiction of that firm. That said, a revised target of $200 is always welcome. However, $200 is a no-brainer to this crowd. I'm looking forward to more $300+ revised targets from the big firms.]

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear, @sleepy et al, what I said in the other thread was that Tesla employees pretty much confirmed the 700/wk rate when I asked about it. They did not tell me or volunteer the info to me, I brought it up to them and they didn't deny.

However, discussions with a few random low-level rank and file Teslans is not a guarantee. We need more reliable senior sources. Or eyewitnesses at the factory tour who have seen/heard the latest numbers.

Just to be clear, @sleepy et al, what I said in the other thread was that Tesla employees pretty much confirmed the 700/wk rate when I asked about it. They did not tell me or volunteer the info to me, I brought it up to them and they didn't deny.

However, discussions with a few random low-level rank and file Teslans is not a guarantee. We need more reliable senior sources. Or eyewitnesses at the factory tour who have seen/heard the latest numbers.
Thanks for the clarification. I would say though them not denying the 700/wk rate wouldn't be them confirming it, and especially so if they were "random low-level rank and file Teslans" as you described. I'd say majority of Tesla's employees wouldn't know last week's production numbers.

[Funny, every time I see mention of Deutsche Bank, I am reminded of Michael Lewis's THE BIG SHORT, which offered a, shall we say, less than complimentary depiction of that firm. That said, a revised target of $200 is always welcome. However, $200 is a no-brainer to this crowd. I'm looking forward to more $300+ revised targets from the big firms.]

- - - Updated - - -

Any short term thread posters live near the factory that might take a tour in the next few days? :wink: I would like to/plan to, but I am on the wrong coast and won't make it out till Nov/Dec.

I said "spark a 10% rally." It will not happen all in one day, it can take a couple of weeks but I believe we will now see $180's in the near future. Then a well timed GS report will not the stock price back down for another pre-earnings sale.

Ok, I wish it was that easy. It is impossible to tell what will happen, but the odds favor the upside. That is all you can do in investing: play the odds and bet when they are in your favor.

This could well be the catalyst to spark a 10% rally. I look back at the chart when DB upgraded their price target from $50 to $160, it starts a rally after a period of sideway movement. Today's situation seems remarkably similar!

I would suspect the DB folks perfectly time the upgrade. They undoubtedly load up some shares during the last 3 weeks.

However I do not think this upgrade is as dramatic as the last one, nor is the depth of their research. Also the market seems have a lot more resistance than before. I would not expect a big jump tomorrow.

Today my trade was quite dramatic. I have a short OTM call that I want to close. Put a limit order in, but only 10% of the order got executed before the price moved away. Oh well, I am very much overweight on the upside. Otherwise it would've made my whole account full speed ahead.

Last edited:
i don't want to be the one who's ruin the party but peoples are celebrating like 200$ is a done deal.

take into account we are still in the boundaries of 158-173 and TSLA didn't perform well yesterday while the market celebrate.

another thing to take into account is we have monthly options expiring this weekend with lots of 170C open(could be good if they get squeeze though).

and last thing is that fall down comes when you get complacent, lot's of time i saw a stock crashing after upgrade(probably big short player is inviting the upgrade so he can find people to throw the merchandise at a good price)

like sleepy said, let the game begin :)

True but those working on the line do. They have tote boards with output for all to see.

That's a good point. I'd love to hear from brianstorms or anybody else who's heard 700/wk rate, if they've heard it from directly from someone who's working on the line or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, the odds definitely favor the upside. Btw, remarkable call Sleepy regarding DB $200 PT upgrade. Truly remarkable.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't want to be the one who's ruin the party but peoples are celebrating like 200$ is a done deal.

take into account we are still in the boundaries of 158-173 and TSLA didn't perform well yesterday while the market celebrate.

another thing to take into account is we have monthly options expiring this weekend with lots of 170C open(could be good if they get squeeze though).

and last thing is that fall down comes when you get complacent, lot's of time i saw a stock crashing after upgrade(probably big short player is inviting the upgrade so he can find people to throw the merchandise at a good price)

like sleepy said, let the game begin :)

Btw, a lot of traders will be looking at the $173.80 price point. IBD last Friday (or so) came out with a buy recommendation for TSLA if it pushes past $173.80 on high volume. And a lot of people follow the IBD Leaderboard. Here's their updated recommendation as of today:

"Tesla Motors is trading tightly after its big run-up, a sign that the stock is well-supported. It has formed a three-weeks-tight pattern with a 173.80 buy point. Despite recent tight weekly closes, the pattern is a bit erratic. The tighter the trading in a three-weeks-tight pattern, the better. Tesla continues to hold near highs, but it's already well extended past its 115 buy point from a rare high-tight-flag pattern. Big market leaders like Tesla can often go on climax runs after a breakout, but that usually doesn't happen until 18 weeks after the breakout."

If you're wondering what a "three-weeks-tight pattern is" here's some links:
The 3-Weeks-Tight Pattern Can Boost Your Portfolio's Returns VMW PG - Investors.com

Investors's Corner: Rules Also Apply To 3-Weeks Tight - Investors.com

It's basically a bullish flat base pattern that I've mentioned recently but with a tighter trading range. It looks like the stock isn't moving and volume is quiet, but this is a bullish sign that there's institutional support keeping the stock at those levels. Here's an explanation from one of the links I referred to:

"After a significant gain, the normal bout of profit-taking appears. But rather than fall under the weight of this selling, the stock moves sideways for three (or four) weeks. Why? The same institutions that provided support in the original base also are providing support as some investors cash in their winnings."

Anyway, don't be surprised if we hit push through $173.80 on high volume then we could go a lot higher.

This is not a high volume premarket.

I am not so bullish, this stock needs time to work on things.

IBD Leaderboard suggests big boys marketing their wares...

This stock needs Gen 3 news, beta, or production plans to go much higher

Status
Not open for further replies.