Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk is at the Munich Tesla Store Monday evening 19-21 german time (21:00 is about one hour before american markets close). I got an invitation for that event but cant go there. One reason I can think of is that he will announce the placement of the supercharger stations in Germany. Perhaps that is why they change the supercharger section ? And perhaps we will get a little push in the stock price on monday from that.

Can you get someone else from the region there? Isn't Volker in that region also? Getting a live report from what Elon announces there might be quite good for monday closing movements as that might well get processed by News services only after the event and might not hit the markets before close giving us a small edge. Then again, didn't the Frankfurt auto show announcement of EU superchargers go out through Tesla tweet and other methods before it was actually announced on the floor?

Without and new do you guys think we are looking at another week of consolidation around here in the 180s like we saw back in the 160s?

No, I don't think so. The news that Tesla is going to beat has been pretty widely spread. I think that we'll see TSLA climb to its all-time high prior to earnings. The thing is, that isn't that far above where we are now, so I think we'll see a bunch of small 1% moves as we make our way there. I don't think the market is going to reward Tesla with more than $200 a share until the beat is in the books, but with expectations where they are, I think we be at or near all time highs on the day of the report.

I stated in the past but I like repetition. "The Beat" is priced in, but the real question is to what magnitude. There's too much press floating around with the VIN number deliveries which all of us at TMC know isn't accurate. I think what will be a surprise is the gross margin progress. I feel that many analysts will be viewing that. It's no coincidence that the Europe shipments occurred sooner, as it stands I think the GM would be higher on those cars (Sigs, fully loaded, etc.). That paired with the GM on aluminum and the new pricing of options and accessories are going to be huge contributors to this.

If I may pick your brain-- what's your set up for Q3? I have only a small portion of what I can bear losing in Nov 200's, but I think about premium decay and am wondering if I should be rolling those to a later date. Now that Nov. 5th is confirmed it takes off my fear of having an ER call too close to expiry. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I stated in the past but I like repetition. "The Beat" is priced in, but the real question is to what magnitude.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I think that the market knows there is going to be a beat, but it has not yet priced it in fully. I think that the market wants to, but there is still a lot of time between now and earnings. I believe that the market will price in what it believes the beat will look like between now and the day of earnings. I think that number looks something like $195-$200 depending on how much of a beat the market expects.

The net is that we have 3 weeks to move ~$10, so I expect pretty sideways movement going forward.

If I may pick your brain-- what's your set up for Q3? I have only a small portion of what I can bear losing in Nov 200's, but I think about premium decay and am wondering if I should be rolling those to a later date. Now that Nov. 5th is confirmed it takes off my fear of having an ER call too close to expiry. Thoughts?

I bought both Nov $200s and Dec $200s during the worst of the debt ceiling sell-off. I was buying the Dec $200s when TSLA was trading at $163. I expect that we'll see premiums decay for a while here, but then they should recover as we get closer to earnings. Demand for TSLA options are always huge the day before and day of earnings.

What I would really like to see happen is I'd like to see the stock at $199 on Nov 5th, and I'd like to sell half my calls just before the market closes that day. I'm hoping that by doing that I'll capture the most premium I can and go into earnings just playing with the houses money.

Also, don't get caught up focusing on by how much Tesla beats the street this quarter. Stock price is a reflection of future earnings, not past. The anticipation of a beat will drive the stock up between now and earnings, but a pop after earnings will be all about guidance. There needs to be surprisingly good guidance (just ask SCTY investors). I think our ace in the hole here is going to be China.

Elon mentioned during the last conference call that it was too early to talk about China and that he would do that on the next call. Our own Sleepyhead has indicated that demand in China is phenomenal and that Tesla is looking to do something like 15,000 cars there next year (if I recall correctly). Wall Street loves to hear about China.

If Elon gives this kind of guidance and say, raises next year production expectations to 50k units, that'll be much more important than whether they delivered 6k or 6.5k units in Q3.

Also, don't get caught up focusing on by how much Tesla beats the street this quarter. Stock price is a reflection of future earnings, not past. The anticipation of a beat will drive the stock up between now and earnings, but a pop after earnings will be all about guidance. There needs to be surprisingly good guidance (just ask SCTY investors). I think our ace in the hole here is going to be China.

Elon mentioned during the last conference call that it was too early to talk about China and that he would do that on the next call. Our own Sleepyhead has indicated that demand in China is phenomenal and that Tesla is looking to do something like 15,000 cars there next year (if I recall correctly). Wall Street loves to hear about China.

If Elon gives this kind of guidance and say, raises next year production expectations to 50k units, that'll be much more important than whether they delivered 6k or 6.5k units in Q3.

Nice insight, CT. It appears the potential of China has significant impact on the stock price, we need to re-examine sleepy's China piece.

Originally my view on that is questionable methodology, for that I have post my detailed rationals. I did not question the number.

Now the number appears to be shaky, at least an order of magnitude discrepancy. Sleepy, I think it is worthwhile to get the ballpark number correct.

Citizen T - I fully agree on futures being the driver of a pop or drop after earnings (look at AMD, in the black finally again and got hammered) But i also think getting a few of the valuation monkey's off our back would help as well. Dont get me wrong i agree majority is future look of the company has, but also say we sell enough cars, with a high enough GM and no more ZEV credits. If it puts us into GAAP positive i think that would also have a good impact on the ER. It would completely kill the naysayers' arguments of the company is not profitable without the government's help and blah blah. i would say being GAAP profitable would have a 10-25% impact on an ER pop (pending amount of GAAP profit), but i fully agree large majority is future outlook.

Nice insight, CT. It appears the potential of China has significant impact on the stock price, we need to re-examine sleepy's China piece.

Originally my view on that is questionable methodology, for that I have post my detailed rationals. I did not question the number.

Now the number appears to be shaky, at least an order of magnitude discrepancy. Sleepy, I think it is worthwhile to get the ballpark number correct.

If there is some discrepancy over the numbers then I think that is worth hashing out. That is what we do best here when we are at our best, we get down to the truth. Personally, I have a lot of respect for Sleepy's rigor and so if he believes those numbers then I will too until I see better information. I'll have to read up on the latest from that thread.

Well if my trendlines are of any indication, then we are in a parallel channel to that we occupied since ca June-July. The old channel is probably going to be a resistance point, but that's around $193 region right now so that can't be it, we look to be somewhere in the middle of the channel. Also, we're daily bouncing off the 20-day SMA and the region overall resembles to me a lot the consolidation around $165 region. So I wouldn't be surprised if we do consolidate here between $182-$185 for the next week or so and that is actually good as we can benefit from the IV drop before it spikes going into earnings. Could bring nice buying opportunities and if there's a GS "upgrade" it's even better :)

seems like we've lost momentum, any chance to move forward the q3 result?
the market had a cracking week while tesla fall a sleep.
assuming market PT will come the next few days i hope we won't get to that mode too!

+1 Sick if watching the rest of the market rally without TSLA. Seems like fund managers are not picking up TSLA. Also it seems institutional ownership have gone down again over the past week or two, from my Scottrade account info.

Status
Not open for further replies.