Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it can be worthwhile reading the doom and gloom articles out there both to see what naysayers are saying (e.g. why do they think TSLA is overvalued, and what do i think about their arguments), as well as to generally keep a sanity check

i found this forbes article to be pretty balanced, and an interesting perspective regarding TSLA's price movement and ways to think about the potential for the "bubble bursting". personally i think there would need to be some material negative news with long term outlook type implications to incite "bubble bursting" stock behavior. for instance, i think the tesla fire had bubble bursting potential (i responded accordingly by closing my shorter term option plays -- until the necessary details were available to judge that this was not a systemic problem that could have macro impacts).

anyways, figured i would post about the forbes article, as i think it is something we all should be cognizant of, even if we disagree that the bubble will be bursting anytime soon ;)

surfside

Thanks for the article. I think it's spot on about drawing a box around your goals knowing that once we see a decline you have the mindset to get out. That saying, we've seen Tesla do great things and 3Q is just around the corner, so I'm holding for the outcome before shedding my shares and anticipate holding much, much longer.

Decided that this pullback is unreasonable and decided to start aggregating more options. Bought a December 190, March 200 and Jan (2015) 190. If there's further downturn, then I'll buy some more :) Closed out of my weekly 185's with about 25% loss, oh well should have been smarter and not tried to catch it. Best part is that if I had just held my pre-market order for $2.37 for all contracts, then that was the daily high and I'd have exited at 0 loss :)

i think it can be worthwhile reading the doom and gloom articles out there both to see what naysayers are saying (e.g. why do they think TSLA is overvalued, and what do i think about their arguments), as well as to generally keep a sanity check

i found this forbes article to be pretty balanced, and an interesting perspective regarding TSLA's price movement and ways to think about the potential for the "bubble bursting". personally i think there would need to be some material negative news with long term outlook type implications to incite "bubble bursting" stock behavior. for instance, i think the tesla fire had bubble bursting potential (i responded accordingly by closing my shorter term option plays -- until the necessary details were available to judge that this was not a systemic problem that could have macro impacts).

anyways, figured i would post about the forbes article, as i think it is something we all should be cognizant of, even if we disagree that the bubble will be bursting anytime soon ;)

surfside

I always read negative articles, if I can't justify their objections then it's time to sell.

In this case I really wouldn't consider the article balanced at all.
The author places a huge scary graph in there which just looks absurd and totally out of touch with reality. Except it isn't. The graph starts in mid-2010, when Tesla was on the brink of failure and producing tens of expensive "prototypes", and goes all the way up to now, when Tesla has convinced most people it's here for the long run and sells tens of thousands units of the best car in its class.

Of course the stock jumped up like that in the span of 1 year, because, until 12 months ago, it was just POTENTIAL, today Tesla is REAL. If you think Tesla will stop at 20.000 units a year of model S then the current price is crazy. If you think in 5 years it will be selling multiple models for hundreds of thousands of units, and that in 10 it will be one of the biggest players in the auto industry, then 180$ is just the beginning of a LOOONG hockey stick chart.

The article is unbalanced, and totally lacks vision. Only a short-sighted person would call Apple a "bubble stock" when it is clearly undervalued right now. I've owned that stock since 2001 and I've heard many of the same short sighted comments made about that company for years.

Of course sometimes those stocks will fall. Cars will burn, batteries will die, factories won't work. But that is normal for a company pushing the envelope through talent and innovation.

End of rant.

i found this forbes article to be pretty balanced, and an interesting perspective regarding TSLA's price movement and ways to think about the potential for the "bubble bursting".

It's not balanced, as it doesn't acknowledge Tesla's technology disruption. The chart is also misleading. The vertical axis shouldn't be linear, it should be logarithmic:

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 12.50.24 PM.png

What you see is that in percentage terms, Tesla is actually slowing down. A $10 move in 2010 was about half its value - today that $10 is just over 5% of is value. Dealing in raw dollars is just wrong. BRK.A's stock was up almost $500 today, which is just a bit over 0.25%.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 12.49.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 12.49.38 PM.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 563
i would definitely agree that the charts in that article are misleading (not the right way to think about tesla). i guess given the article's title i was expecting more tesla bashing, and that definitely wasn't the gist of the article. i think the writer legitimately is trying to drive folks to think about a strategy with regard to holding a high flyer like tesla, which is more than you can say about most tesla articles these days.

surfside

Tesla Motors(TSLA), Inc. announced today that it will post its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2013, after market close onTuesday, November 5, 2013. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory release via Marketwire containing a link to the third quarter 2013 Shareholder Letter, available on the company website. Tesla management will hold a live question & answer webcast at 2:30pm Pacific Standard Time (5:30pm Eastern Standard Time) to discuss the Company's financial and business results and outlook.

What:
Tesla Motors, Inc.(TSLA)Third Quarter 2013 Financial Results Q&A Webcast
When: Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Time: 2:30pm Pacific Standard Time / 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time
Shareholder Letter: Tesla - Investors Overview
Webcast: Tesla - Investors Overview (live and replay)

Tesla Motors(TSLA), Inc. announced today that it will post its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2013, after market close onTuesday, November 5, 2013. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory release via Marketwire containing a link to the third quarter 2013 Shareholder Letter, available on the company website. Tesla management will hold a live question & answer webcast at 2:30pm Pacific Standard Time (5:30pm Eastern Standard Time) to discuss the Company's financial and business results and outlook.

What:
Tesla Motors, Inc.(TSLA)Third Quarter 2013 Financial Results Q&A Webcast
When: Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Time: 2:30pm Pacific Standard Time / 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time
Shareholder Letter: Tesla - Investors Overview
Webcast: Tesla - Investors Overview (live and replay)

Lets see if this news will boost us up like SCTY did!

Last edited:
back on line. quick look and it appears to me that the change is in the supercharger section. higher rate indicated. map of future supercharger locations is gone? question whether this represents change? i thought it one of the best graphics on the site. perhaps they are changing the schedule of installations?? i also do not remember etiquette of the superchargers represented on the site before.

back on line. quick look and it appears to me that the change is in the supercharger section. higher rate indicated. map of future supercharger locations is gone? question whether this represents change? i thought it one of the best graphics on the site. perhaps they are changing the schedule of installations?? i also do not remember etiquette of the superchargers represented on the site before.

Elon Musk is at the Munich Tesla Store Monday evening 19-21 german time (21:00 is about one hour before american markets close). I got an invitation for that event but cant go there. One reason I can think of is that he will announce the placement of the supercharger stations in Germany. Perhaps that is why they change the supercharger section ? And perhaps we will get a little push in the stock price on monday from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.