Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, with "perfect timing" as usual, I sold my shares yesterday as it seemed we were falling off a cliff... I didn`t expecte it to come back so quick. I was going to buy my shares back today after the dust settles, but now the good news from the Pana deal might make this little misstep even mor painful.

Normally, the stock starts bullish for the first 30-40 minutes, then takes a dive before coming back - at tleast that`s the trend i obeserved. Do you guys think we will still see the same thing today, or, beacuse of the battery deal, I might be better off buying shares as soon as the market opens, as we will only go up today?

Any thoughts?

Oh, and yes, I do know I was stupid and overreacted yesterday, hence the "junior member" status. :)

So, with "perfect timing" as usual, I sold my shares yesterday as it seemed we were falling off a cliff... I didn`t expecte it to come back so quick. I was going to buy my shares back today after the dust settles, but now the good news from the Pana deal might make this little misstep even mor painful.

Normally, the stock starts bullish for the first 30-40 minutes, then takes a dive before coming back - at tleast that`s the trend i obeserved. Do you guys think we will still see the same thing today, or, beacuse of the battery deal, I might be better off buying shares as soon as the market opens, as we will only go up today?

Any thoughts?

Oh, and yes, I do know I was stupid and overreacted yesterday, hence the "junior member" status. :)

The past days have shown the first few minutes highly volatile with which ever direction it takes reversing within minutes. Then again yesterday it dropped like a tank, then dropped slower until it hit the bottom and then recovered slowly. Today with the general positive sentiment and battery deal I wouldn't bet on a specific pattern. It might gap up hard and come down for a moment before continuing up, but it might do other things as well ;)

For the future, if you hold shares and think it'll tank buy puts that cover your shares and lock in the profit. First off you avoid capital gains tax and if it doesn't tank but runs up fast, then you lose less (you might get something from the puts still or worst case the put is your loss). Trying to catch the knife by selling shares yesterday planning to buy them back today is not a good idea. That's what options are for if you feel you want to take advantage of day trading.

Any thoughts?

Well market open may let you back in in better shape than you thought. I think the Pano/TM battery announcement was certainly good but I wonder if the market already has factored that and o\production numbers into the price already. It will really be guidance from ER that will cause any big moves it appears to me.

Of course as soon as I finished typing the above it is 'off to the races' Go TSLA!

It's good to see TSLA stabilizing after yesterday's sell-off.

I think that Tesla will trade in a tight range leading up to earnings announcement next Tuesday. Do you guys think that there will be another sell-off next Monday and Tuesday? I think that everyone who wanted to take profits before ER has already done so.

It's good to see TSLA stabilizing after yesterday's sell-off.

I think that Tesla will trade in a tight range leading up to earnings announcement next Tuesday. Do you guys think that there will be another sell-off next Monday and Tuesday? I think that everyone who wanted to take profits before ER has already done so.

I think it's too early to say stability considering the drop in the last half hour from 167-160. I do agree however that TSLA will trade in a tighter range compared to yesterday.

As for a sell-off Monday and Tuesday. Honestly, if there isn't a sell-off/profit taking before earnings on Tuesday and TSLA is rallying and well into the 180s near the close, take it as a sign of caution.

Something is wrong with the quotes for $TSLA options. The ones I'm looking at all have higher bids than asks.

Getting this message on Optionsxpress.com:
"!ATTENTION
The ISE is currently disseminating potentially stale quotes to the marketplace. Please be advised that market orders may fill at substantially different prices than those being displayed."

I don't get this stock anymore. It is just behaving so strangely.

Same here. Then again, was there ever a "moment of clarity" since TSLA IPO'd?

- - - Updated - - -

Something is wrong with the quotes for $TSLA options. The ones I'm looking at all have higher bids than asks.

Getting this message on Optionsxpress.com:
"! ATTENTION
The ISE is currently disseminating potentially stale quotes to the marketplace. Please be advised that market orders may fill at substantially different prices than those being displayed. "

Could this explain TSLA's price movement in the past hour?

There is just too many things going on with TSLA right now, I don't think anyone wants to make any big moves before ER. Those who wanted to get out of the stock have done so in the past few days. Those that wanted to buy it have been taking advantage of these dips.

We are in wait and see until next week imo, but I am sure that as soon as I type this something will change.

If they know what they are doing, tentpole news items like this will be spaced apart from each other, in order to maximise the visibility of the company. They will not release multiple news items in clumps, which would cause them to be merged together when reported by the media.

They might even make some of those sorts of announcements during the conference call.

I give up. If the stock isn't even going to go green on news that TSLA has secured battery supply to quintuple production in 4 years time...then how the hell am I supposed to trade this? Going to just sit on my hands until after earnings.

Agreed... How is there this much positive news, market green (barely) and yet we are still 1% in the red.....

Good news coming in again this week. Now if they announce a battery contract with Samsung as well that would really bump up production. When is that news coming? hmmm. They are probably still negotiating with Samsung.

i dont think anything is coming. Samsung and LG were if Panasonic couldnt and/or use that as leverage to get a better deal out of the Panasonic negotiations. I dont thin we will hear anything on any new battery deals until Gen3 is running and the demand is up there for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.