Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, $0.00 EPS excluding the one-time warrant liability reversal, but including the $68M ZEV credits. So without those you are looking at a $68M GAAP loss. They will have to work hard at those margins and deliver more cars (with lower ASP, both because mix and fewer ZEV credits) just to keep around $0.00 EPS in Q4.

Not to say I am unsatisfied by the earnings or the market reaction, just that you posted that $30M number without even questioning what it's worth.

I was so anxious to skewer JP I did not fully examine the numbers. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Ha, not a problem. The high volume went into the $70's. This is just stragglers now - volume is tiny the last hour. This thing is going to open mad tomorrow with margin calls galore. Prepare for a helluva a day. Patience is the best play. Don't be scared of winning big!

How long does one get to cover within a margin call? By the end of the day?

I wish we knew if any major players were a huge chunk of the shorts.

How long does one get to cover within a margin call? By the end of the day?

I wish we knew if any major players were a huge chunk of the shorts.

Depends on the broker and account but generally a couple days. But plan on a lot of buyers tomorrow. Seriously, I believe patience is key. Find a number and stick to it then sell. There are about 38,000,000 shorts right now and damn near 50% of the float. They will all be out to cover. There is no limit right now.

Anyone who has an idea about the high revenue numbers pls post in them in the $562m/WTF thread under investor discussions. After re-reading the letter and stewing for a bit I am starting to think Tesla is sandbagging on its credit revenue by limiting discussion to ZEV credits. No mention of GHG or CAFE, and the description and context they use for the "credits" seems only to apply to the California ZEV program.

If so, then that means $68m in ZEV credits + some additional unknown amount for GHG and CAFE credits. My thesis is that the "unknown" amount is buried in the inflated revenue numbers. But I need alternate explanations for the increased revenue, thus the WTF?? thread.

Depends on the broker and account but generally a couple days. But plan on a lot of buyers tomorrow. Seriously, I believe patience is key. Find a number and stick to it then sell. There are about 38,000,000 shorts right now and damn near 50% of the float. They will all be out to cover. There is no limit right now.

We have two full trading days before the weekend. I think the most likely scenario is a massive short squeeze tomorrow extending into the next few days. There is no way to know what the peak will be.

We have two full trading days before the weekend. I think the most likely scenario is a massive short squeeze tomorrow extending into the next few days. There is no way to know what the peak will be.

That's the thing - what short is going to want to pay interest over the weekend? The time to get out was yesterday and for the millions upon millions that didn't they will be doing anything to get out now.

In fact, shorts were emboldened the last day so there could be more than on paper.

Read stocktwits and other trader networks and everything you hear is this is going to be epic. The twi main threads are those waiting to collect their profits and those that wish they would have gotten in. Expect anything at this point.

Stay long.... 10 years from now you will be shooting yourself for selling at $120. We all know the car is unprecedented amazing...we all know ICE's suck in comparison. Gonna be a while until the rest of the country realizes that too, but the Model S looks to be a Malcolm Gladwell "Tipping Point." Think 50% of all cars on the road being electric. THAT is growth.

Again - maybe I am too bullish - but I think this stock would reach $80 this month without any kind of short squeeze. With this kind of short panic heading into a weekend I would not be surprised to see a 3X rise in price. $240 here I come!

Most people I've spoken with tonight think we're at the very beginning of a historic squeeze up. It's own style of course, but it's a perfect storm. These thing accelerate too. As it rises it will rise faster and faster in a panic you can take advantage of.

Most people I've spoken with tonight think we're at the very beginning of a historic squeeze up. It's own style of course, but it's a perfect storm. These thing accelerate too. As it rises it will rise faster and faster in a panic you can take advantage of.

Agree. I cannot see how there can be a orderly unwinding of all of the short positions. I believe that most shorts will attempt an escape before the weekend to avoid the borrowing charges and the risk of the stock price continuing to rise into the 100s. There are billions at stake. This will be a stampede.

Agree. I cannot see how there can be a orderly unwinding of all of the short positions. I believe that most shorts will attempt an escape before the weekend to avoid the borrowing charges and the risk of the stock price continuing to rise into the 100s. There are billions at stake. This will be a stampede.

+1

The question remains, who is going to sell? Not many who read this forum (I would hope), that's for sure.
Maybe some of the hedgys where smart enough to go long, so they could take advantage of it, but most here are smart enough to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The question remains, who is going to sell? Not many who read this forum (I would hope), that's for sure.
Well, I'll be selling at some price. The squeeze, by definition, is an inflated price and I'll want to get out at some point on that inflated bubble and get back in later.

N00b question on tax consequences. Say I bought at $50, sold it all at $100, then bought all of that back in at $70 again, do I pay taxes on the profit from that first sale or are taxes deferred since it was reinvested? I don't buy/sell stocks at all really. I've got 3 trades in the last several years, all TSLA purchases and had to sell one of those batches when I bought the car. The other 2 batches are now past the 1 year mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.