Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon the ignorance. Does the time of announcement mean anything? It is likely the announcement is not all that big because it's a daytime announcement?

I suppose it depends on your definition of big. The service announcement was at 10:30 am. Apple always announces new products during trading hours. Only financial disclosures (like earnings announcements) have to happen after hours (or they halt trading on the stock during the announcement).

Hmm, doesn't look like that moved the stock after hours at all.

Indeed, it's quiet after hours. Elon will be interviewed at the "All Things D" conference at 7:30 PDT this evening which will be after "after hours". I don't expect him to directly answer questions regarding tomorrow's Supercharger announcement, but I suspect he'll provide enough of a tease to rattle the shorts.

Last edited:
I think it won't be that big (probably just new US locations + EU locations + 120kWh. MAYBE 3rd party licensing.). Otherwise, why raise a $1b at $92 if you could raise it at $150?

I have to agree here. I suspect it's what everyone more or less knows at this point and if anything could cause some depression on the stock since it likely won't won't be amazing news.

they've put it off for weeks, although the dynamic has changed. But I don't suspect it's a massive deal. Then again, the media could swarm around it and gush and come up with a million scenarios that legitimize Tesla even more.

I was sort of hoping the thing would happen in AH's and contain some kind of information like "We're moving the guidance to 24,000 cars this year".

But hey, keeping your name in the news with more positive things is always good. And sticking to the plan and adapting it instead of just trying to rally the market is better in the long term.

However, Tesla knows they are better served if those convertible bonds are exercised without having to pay a coupon on them...

- - - Updated - - -

The announcement regarding improved service was made in a similar fashion on April 26 at 10:30 am PDT: MEDIA ADVISORY | TESLA MOTORS ANNOUNCEMENT (NASDAQ:TSLA)

I believe that announcement was met with a 5%+ drop in stock price...

Then again, they botched that one pretty bad and had to fix it. And they hyped it a lot. Although, it was pretty big even if Wall St. didn't see it right away.

I'm hoping tomorrow's Supercharger announcement does beat people's expectations. Elon Musk did say "big" supercharger announcement a few times on Twitter. However, the press release for the initial financing announcement (which was underimpressive) was "revolutionary" financing. So, who knows?

But I'm guessing at least 20+ new supercharger locations, coast-to-coast charging by summer, 120Kwh charging speed and rollout in Europe. Hopefully that will be enough to sustain current price levels or boost it a bit.

My reasoning being that the financing and service announcements are kind of to be expected (ie., all car companies offer financing and service). However, supercharging is kind of extra and special (if there are a lot of locations announced). It increases the inherent value of each Model S out there and to be produced, thus increasing demand beyond what is normally expected. The 5th announcement (possibly battery swapping) also has the potential for this effect as well. IMO, announcement #5 (after supercharger announcement) has potential/possibility to be game-changing.

Last edited:
I believe that announcement was met with a 5%+ drop in stock price...

Then again, they botched that one pretty bad and had to fix it. And they hyped it a lot. Although, it was pretty big even if Wall St. didn't see it right away.

The share price fell 1.5% on April 26, the day of the service announcement during market hours. The price fell 7.3% on April 3 following the announcement of a financing program on April 2 that I believe was made after hours. That was the announcement that had to be amended on May 3.

My first post! Been following this forum for months. Took delivery of a Red 60KWh three weeks ago and totally loving it. Drove down from Palo Alto to LA two weeks ago and totally enjoyed the drive. Got the stereo upgraded by Reus Systems while I was down there. It's now phenomenal (I had the Sound Package), but that's another post.

-KAB

Hey KAB, Welcome! I like to hear your experience of 60kwh driving from PA to LA. Do you need very careful planning to make it?
Have you considered going to Tahoe and how will your 60kw fare?
I am contemplate on going for 60kw. My 85kw is being built currenlty in the factory currently and I might have a chance to ask them to change, depending on what I hear from the Supercharger announcement.

I'm hoping tomorrow's Supercharger announcement does beat people's expectations. Elon Musk did say "big" supercharger announcement a few times on Twitter. However, the press release for the initial financing announcement (which was underimpressive) was "revolutionary" financing. So, who knows?

Elon also called it "a step change" during the earnings announcement.

Though I guess "step change" can mean either change of pace or change of direction...

Let me echo some of the sentiments I am hearing. Very frustrating (yet very $$$ rewarding) this stock! I am actually day trading so today was a little bit more fun (intraday volatility) but its been way more sell high then buy highER then I like! Doh!

Im glad there was a pullback to below $100 (ALSO GLAD IT WAS BRIEF!!!). It now has passed the $100 test.

Announcement tomorrow will likely not effect the stock although I suspect there will be a lot of volatility again and everyone will blame/credit the announcement. I expect pre market MM to bolster stock back up to about $108. The regular trading session...I HAVE NO IDEA!!!! I bought many of my shares today for $111 before scooping up more at the basement prices (to price average)!!!!

I've paid off about 2/5 of my car with the stock...so I still got a ways to go!!!!

if stock pulls back ending month of May (only 2 days left) down to $90 I think the stock will be heading down down down. If it can stay at about $97/98 or better I think June is going to be PHENOMENAL. Having said that (IF I'm right)....I will be selling my stock after June (hopefully at about $165!!!!)....

good luck fellow teslarsons and investors!

Some of the announcement is out of the bag. 3x the supercharger network

Let me echo some of the sentiments I am hearing. Very frustrating (yet very $$$ rewarding) this stock! I am actually day trading so today was a little bit more fun (intraday volatility) but its been way more sell high then buy highER then I like! Doh!

Im glad there was a pullback to below $100 (ALSO GLAD IT WAS BRIEF!!!). It now has passed the $100 test.

Announcement tomorrow will likely not effect the stock although I suspect there will be a lot of volatility again and everyone will blame/credit the announcement. I expect pre market MM to bolster stock back up to about $108. The regular trading session...I HAVE NO IDEA!!!! I bought many of my shares today for $111 before scooping up more at the basement prices (to price average)!!!!

I've paid off about 2/5 of my car with the stock...so I still got a ways to go!!!!

if stock pulls back ending month of May (only 2 days left) down to $90 I think the stock will be heading down down down. If it can stay at about $97/98 or better I think June is going to be PHENOMENAL. Having said that (IF I'm right)....I will be selling my stock after June (hopefully at about $165!!!!)....

good luck fellow teslarsons and investors!

Anyone heard anything about the Tesla announcement around June 20th that he's mentioning? That's well after the shareholders meeting.

"Audience question: Hyperloop.

Musk: I can’t talk about that quite yet but it’ll be big news. There’s a Tesla announcement around June 20…at some point after that will be a good time to talk about it. For those that aren’t aware, the basic idea is will there be a better way to travel quickly from LA to San Francisco than high-speed rail. The high-speed rail that’s been proposed will be the slowest bullet train in the world and the most expensive, and it’s a little depressing.
Even if I’m wrong about the economic assumptions behind the Hyperloop, it would be a really fun ride. It’s a cross between a Concorde and a rail gun and an air hockey table."

Always cutting it so close... There is just 2.5 hrs of trading left after the announcement 'til MayWk5 calls expire.

And then the "around June 20th" comment, with last trading day for June13 calls being June 21st...

But that makes for fun and exciting times ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.