Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so, too. Fitch put just now the US AAA rating on watch negative and with the House spoiling todays efforts its doubtful if the oct 17th deadline will be met. My money is off the table for now (regarding options, that is).

I have "hedged" by selling my Oct19 calls at 180 and 188 without replacing them yet. It is sounding more like a market correction will be needed before the House will be willing to go along with a Senate debt limit deal.

Covered Call Strategy...
(I've seen a few post here on covered calls - but not go thru all 1065 pages of this thread)

Anyone regularly selling covered calls?
I've been doing it for a few months now and am very happy with how it is going..

Highlight of my strategy...
I am in the stock for the long run. (years... do not need the funds for years....)
I am basically selling 30-45 days out (that is when premium decay is the greatest... going furthur out you have very little premium decay added)
Selling Delta 20' ish (Basically market makers are saying you have a 20% chance of expiring ITM, 80% chance of expiring worthless)

So far all have expired OTM

If I do get called on any - I would have made great gains on the stock itself during those 30-45 days...
And would most likely be able to buy those all back on a pullback at a cheaper price.
(Doing this also with Facebook - had sold a 50.00 strike... got called at 50.01 (??? yes really) bought them back at 47.32)

If (Big If) the stock drops enough I will buy them back and re-sell

I am trading in a Sept Ira account - no short term gains issue

Example - Yesterday I sold Nov 16 215 calls for $ 6.95 (Hey if it goes to 215 within the next 4 weeks - I am a very happy camper)

Rinse and repeat.

Any feedback appreciated.....

PS Edit: I like selling when TSLA has a strong pop in price, IV gets jacked up and I get a great price on the call

Last edited:
Example - Yesterday I sold Nov 16 215 calls for $ 6.95 (Hey if it goes to 215 within the next 4 weeks - I am a very happy camper)

Overall your strategy is what I planned to do, but I started with trying to get the shares at a discount by selling puts. Never materialized in the money and I missed out on a lot of the gains before I started buying calls. Plan was also to sell ca 20-30% OOM calls and if they get called away you've already locked in some nice gains. Here the Nov 16th might very well get called away though 215 is maybe slightly stretching it because of the earnings report in early November. That's why there so much premium on the Nov 16th options. Then again your break even without missing out on anything is $221.95 :)

I think what redharel means is that everyone is expecting a deal announcement based on rumors and if that doesn't materialize (i.e. news is that sh*t and fan are mating), then that'll trigger the selloff... I'll see if I'll hedge some of my calls just in case...

IMO the deal is priced in already(except a pick from algo on announcement) after that people is gonna understand that the problems is still here, q3 reports is not a hugh success and now fitch threatening to downgrade US.

though it was known at least some good news for us

http://www.streetinsider.com/Inside...th+Tesla+(TSLA)/8781408.html?si_client=intbro

TSLA Chart 10/16/2013

TSLA 10.16.13.png

IMO: TSLA will need news or Q3 ER as a catalyst to break back into its previous channel. However, given current channel, we should just touch $200 based on current channel trends if we stay on the high side by Q3 ER.

Well considering the uncertainty I hedged 2/3 of my January $190 calls with $200's. The 2/3 are now risk free and I only need Tesla to make it to $193.35 to break even on the whole thing. I'll probably let the 1/3 run as it is through earnings unless we have a decent enough run up to earnings so that I can hedge for a wider bracket risk free. Still have December and March calls to cover any followup running after earnings, but I'm trying to secure shorter term options in case the FUD and confusion in DC continues and we see a serious market drop in the second half of the week (then I can get the hedges back cheap).

Very surprised to see the indexes up higher than TSLA considering our news (upgrade) and their news (debt ceiling deadline). This market is too hard to time.

Upgrades by smaller firms have not done too well for TSLA. Only Goldman and Deutsche upgrades have had lasting effects. The last Deutsche upgrade to $200 came too early (before the car fire and before the last few weeks of govt BS). So at this point either we need a Goldman upgrade or materially significant news from Tesla pre-earnings for a good move up in the next week or so..IMO

I got this alert on Fidelity

DOW JONES & COMPANY,
INC. 10:56 AM ET 10/16/2013

10:56 EDT - From the "Is this allowed?" department, S&P
Capital IQ starts coverage of market darling Tesla (TSLA) at sell and sets a
$150 price target while issuing well-below-consensus profit
guidance for both this year and next. "We believe a premium-to-peer valuation is
warranted given its unique business model and technological leadership." TSLA is
trading at just below 100 times the firm's 2014 EPS view. But S&P Capital IQ
thinks "there is execution risk for Tesla as well as opportunity. We expect
these volatile shares to impacted by news flow and investor-sentiment shifts."
As the broader market bounces, TSLA falls 0.4% to $183.23;
they've more than quintupled this year.

took this dip opportunity to accumulate some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.