Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
correct, but yet you can see the trend today, which is to sell on every rise, that's not a weak longs tactics(semantic or not)

What I see in the trend of today is that this morning people wanting to get into TSLA went to their desks saw it take off and clicked buy. When the market tanked a lot of stop losses who had accumulated between yesterday and today went off and killed the action. Right now the stock is just not moving....everyone has made their plays and is just waiting....we will probably see some intense movement at the end of the day (last hour or even less) as the late comers do their plays but until then I predict that the stock is done (barring any major market movement).

Anybody see any news on this $2-$3 jump? I was hoping to buy options on the low, but this jump is a whoa. Possibly shorts covering?

Might be the approaching end of trading day that some bigger players are initiating positions for earnings. Then again, the bears seem to be out in force too as now it's turning back and it's still quite some volume.

I saw a +$6 move in the morning and was worried about the stock being too high flying going into earnings, but now that it came back down, I'm much more comfortable... I want to see a close around $174ish. Thats a good base to break out to the upside and hit $200 on a good report.

Higher prices = Higher expectations... Going into earnings at $180 or $185 vs. $175 makes it harder to beat expectations and have a 10%-15% pop.

This is exactly the sentiment I posted about last week regarding today's price action. I'm definitely a lot more comfortable that TSLA has been relatively flat all day despite the spike and selloff early in the day. If we were deep in the 180s, I can see myself selling at the end of the day just to get out of the way if expectations aren't met.

I felt better about this too, I don't like to see rampant speculation before any numbers are actually released. I much prefer subdued waiting. Have a look at the last trading days from the Q1 and Q2 ER.

View attachment 34738
View attachment 34739

Both of these screenshots were post-CC. Q1 was pretty even keeled, and Q2 was actually something of a bad day. For the sake of my heartbeat, I hope we see a totally flat day.

I'm hoping to add a third to my picture sequence so I can frame them or something someday.

I'm with you as well. I think finishing today near or even under yesterday's closing price is the best thing for us going into earnings, a huge pop deep into the 180s might be perceived as having the earnings report baked in and we can see a selloff aftermarket/tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Has any news come out? TSLA has been seeing a bump in the last hour and just went green. Honestly, I hope we see some selling in the last half hour going into earnings.

And yes, I am holding a long position. I just don't want expectations baked into the stock price going into earnings.

sorry can't understand you guys, you have long position and you want the stock to go down? that's nonsense
who cares what happen in Q1 and Q2 results before or after, just explode up.
before, after during just go up, who cares why and when!
is it some sort of superstition?

Pretty sure that was at least halfway priced in yesterday, (and we saw it earlier) but will be very interesting to see Elon discuss this on the call, as well as their plans for global markets in general. IMO, this China open is a HUGE roadblock cleared, because as little as a few months ago we were still talking about silly Chinese trademark trolls blocking Tesla's entry into that market. Clearly this did not turn out to be the roadblock it could have. A definitive entry into selling cars in a booming China is just wonderful for so many reasons. I am confident the stock has room to go higher on this reveal as Elon goes into more detail. Though we may be production-obsessed here, we are still thinking years ahead of much of the market, who is still obsessed with demand (rightly or wrongly). From a demand perspective, this is huge.

sorry can't understand you guys, you have long position and you want the stock to go down? that's nonsense

I agree with you I will take what I can get when we can get it. Whether it increases by $5-10 before the report and so goes up $5-10 less after the report doesn't matter to me. But I think if the lower price prior to the report is because a bunch if shorts jumped in to be squeezed later, that would be great, too.

If everybody is trying to buy right before earnings, that means that they expect earnings to be good, which generally means they have high expectations, and high expectations are tougher to meet. I agree it's all very silly. If we do have a truly good earnings, in the end it should go up anyways, so it shouldn't matter if the stock is up or down or sideways to begin with.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements

Look what my stock app just quoted for Tesla... Does it know something??
uqegyqar.jpg

I think it matters for people with option calls. The bigger the pop tomorrow morning, the higher premium for the options.

If everybody is trying to buy right before earnings, that means that they expect earnings to be good, which generally means they have high expectations, and high expectations are tougher to meet. I agree it's all very silly. If we do have a truly good earnings, in the end it should go up anyways, so it shouldn't matter if the stock is up or down or sideways to begin with.

expectation is already in place no matter the price we close today.

Status
Not open for further replies.