Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, most of the last two pages of post probably should go in the long-term thread. Any Q4 predictions or "facts" that don't affect the current short-term should be there. Speaking of which, what is happening today with the minus 2% close from yesterday? We had a good rally up earlier this week. Profit taking?

IMO, most of the last two pages of post probably should go in the long-term thread. Any Q4 predictions or "facts" that don't affect the current short-term should be there. Speaking of which, what is happening today with the minus 2% close from yesterday? We had a good rally up earlier this week. Profit taking?

Noble Ninja,
The low volume is certainly important in looking at implications of the slow price decline today, but here's something else to consider. Some positive unemployment news came out which led to a rally of the greater markets. Some of the money in TSLA is short-term speculative funds, and I suspect that a certain portion of that money was moved to stocks by short-term traders who wished to ride the overall market trend up with stocks that tend to be influenced significantly by the market. TSLA, on the other hand, is a stock that does not have a strong correlation in its performance to what the overall market is doing. Thus, you may see some money move out of TSLA when there's nothing happening with TSLA but the overall market is going up, and you may see money move back into TSLA when the overall market is going down, provided it's not such a big decline that the investor wishes to hold onto cash instead.

Noble Ninja,
The low volume is certainly important in looking at implications of the slow price decline today, but here's something else to consider. Some positive unemployment news came out which led to a rally of the greater markets. Some of the money in TSLA is short-term speculative funds, and I suspect that a certain portion of that money was moved to stocks by short-term traders who wished to ride the overall market trend up with stocks that tend to be influenced significantly by the market. TSLA, on the other hand, is a stock that does not have a strong correlation in its performance to what the overall market is doing. Thus, you may see some money move out of TSLA when there's nothing happening with TSLA but the overall market is going up, and you may see money move back into TSLA when the overall market is going down, provided it's not such a big decline that the investor wishes to hold onto cash instead.

Nice read Papfox. That's exactly what happened, it was an across the board profit taking of growth stocks- all mine were down, including Apple and Solar. There was nothing specific to TSLA in today's action, just caught in a general move of monies

Noble Ninja,

So this is what I did this morning after I sold all my solar to get some gains back from the heavy weights of the market. Also on a separate note - from the Barclay's report about Tesla saying they are not sure how the 3rd fire has impacted future sales, I am not sure how to read that. How does a company not know whether their orders are getting cancelled or not? Perhaps they just did not want to comment. I am still being cautiously optimistic about TSLA.

from the Barclay's report about Tesla saying they are not sure how the 3rd fire has impacted future sales

I saw an interview in which Elon said the rate of new orders slowed for a short while then picked up again stronger than before the fires once an explanation on how and why the fires erupted was widely disseminated.

Tesla does not know exactly what the trajectory of new orders would be had there been no fires at all.

I saw an interview in which Elon said the rate of new orders slowed for a short while then picked up again stronger than before the fires once an explanation on how and why the fires erupted was widely disseminated.

Tesla does not know exactly what the trajectory of new orders would be had there been no fires at all.

Elon mentioned this in a video in Munich. BUT REMEMBER, he said so after the first fire. NOT after the 3rd fire.

Elon mentioned this in a video in Munich. BUT REMEMBER, he said so after the first fire. NOT after the 3rd fire.

Didn't Elon say just recently that sales so far in Q4 were a lot higher then he expected? I was excited because that basically dismissed the fires having an impact on sales. Can anyone else confirm this or am I just going crazy? lol
I feel like for every person who got spooked by the fires and decided not to buy an MS, there's three more who realized how safe it really is and now want one. All the media attention sucked at first, but as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

He said that at the LA World Council Forum on Nov 18,2013.

12 days after third fire.

Did you see that talk in person? There is a video on Youtube, but for some reason part of it seems to be edited out just after 2:10 while Elon is talking about the fire. I guess he made the comment then about the increased sales, as you mentioned. I wonder why they edited it out? Perhaps he shouldn't have said it there for regulatory reasons or maybe he was only referring to increased sales after the first fire and didn't make it sufficiently clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODpuYSG4eQc

Did you see that talk in person? There is a video on Youtube, but for some reason part of it seems to be edited out just after 2:10 while Elon is talking about the fire. I guess he made the comment then about the increased sales, as you mentioned. I wonder why they edited it out? Perhaps he shouldn't have said it there for regulatory reasons or maybe he was only referring to increased sales after the first fire and didn't make it sufficiently clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODpuYSG4eQc
Here is a poor quality video from someone in the audience. It appears the fade in the youtube video at about 2:10 is just a fade to a different camera angle and nothing was cut out from the Youtube video you have.
https://yougen.tv/video/5344b10f-0933-4154-9ca1-dfba15461532/

Here is a poor quality video from someone in the audience. It appears the fade in the youtube video at about 2:10 is just a fade to a different camera angle and nothing was cut out from the Youtube video you have.
https://yougen.tv/video/5344b10f-0933-4154-9ca1-dfba15461532/

Yes, you're right. Thanks.

In that case, I didn't notice anything in there about sales since the fires; RobStark, could you have confused it with one of the German interviews? If not, do you remember roughly where in this video it should be so that I can look again and listen more carefully?

over the weekend i visited the london tesla store, the store was packed. the tesla guys told me that the car is receiving a lot of interest from the locals, they could not disclose the numebr of reservation to date, but to give me an idea of how much interest there is for the car they told me that test drives are booked for the next 3 weeks. since they let people test drive all day long, i have the impression that in the london area there are a lot of perspective buyers.
i think the stock price, among other things, has been suffering from lack of hard data regarding the european expansion (norway excluded).
what i have been told and what i have seen at the london tesla store and a basic analysis of google trends make me believe tesla will have the same success here in europe as in the us.

over the weekend i visited the london tesla store, the store was packed. the tesla guys told me that the car is receiving a lot of interest from the locals, they could not disclose the numebr of reservation to date, but to give me an idea of how much interest there is for the car they told me that test drives are booked for the next 3 weeks. since they let people test drive all day long, i have the impression that in the london area there are a lot of perspective buyers.
i think the stock price, among other things, has been suffering from lack of hard data regarding the european expansion (norway excluded).
what i have been told and what i have seen at the london tesla store and a basic analysis of google trends make me believe tesla will have the same success here in europe as in the us.

Are they doing test drives in the UK already? That must be odd to test drive a car with the driver seat on the wrong side (for them that is...). When do deliveries to UK start?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.