Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed the comment about 50GWH production for the factory being enough for 500k cars on Tesla's blog post, that implies some serious battery for each car, say 5% of the production goes towards grid storage, then it still leaves an average of 95kwh per car, with probably 2/3s of production being Model 3's. Even if the average battery size of the S/X gets to 110kwh at the time they would still have to offer the Model 3 with a battery of around 100kwh to get to an average sized battery for the 3's of 87,5kwh. The 100 kwh battery solution for the 3 would probably imply a range around 375 miles given the smaller size of the car, looking forward to the car, will probably buy.

Noticed the comment about 50GWH production for the factory being enough for 500k cars on Tesla's blog post, that implies some serious battery for each car, say 5% of the production goes towards grid storage, then it still leaves an average of 95kwh per car, with probably 2/3s of production being Model 3's. Even if the average battery size of the S/X gets to 110kwh at the time they would still have to offer the Model 3 with a battery of around 100kwh to get to an average sized battery for the 3's of 87,5kwh. The 100 kwh battery solution for the 3 would probably imply a range around 375 miles given the smaller size of the car, looking forward to the car, will probably buy.

Previously when announced they said the GF would produce 50 GWh of battery packs and 35 GWh of battery cells. Now this new blog post says 50 GWh of battery production. I'm unclear what that means - 1) battery packs and lesser amount of battery cells or 2) battery cells and battery packs. It seems like it's more #2. But I'd love for this to be confirmed somehow.

No I believe this was later in the day after CNBC had stopped broadcasting. (Well, they continue with their junk programming all through the night)

There was a press Q&A directly after the Nevada event and the Governor had left. You know, Elon can't resist those :)

I am sure it'll be shown/recapped by Phil LeBeau tomorrow.

Thx! Is this press Q&A available somewhere to review?

Previously when announced they said the GF would produce 50 GWh of battery packs and 35 GWh of battery cells. Now this new blog post says 50 GWh of battery production. I'm unclear what that means - 1) battery packs and lesser amount of battery cells or 2) battery cells and battery packs. It seems like it's more #2. But I'd love for this to be confirmed somehow.

From my understanding Tesla will produce 35 GWh of battery cells on site which they ofcourse turn into packs too, and then get another 15 GWh of cells from Panasonic they also produce packs from.

Tesla does. I wish they knew how to build a battery factory but they really don't. They have lots of input and can contract out a cool building but they need Panasonic to build batteries.

I meant this just from a money stance and strictly from the anti support argument that Panasonic isn't contributing... Now it doesn't matter if they pitch in their 1Bn or not... We got this :) but I still expect them to pay...

Last edited:
Not that past events portend the future, but I looked back at the last time Elon made a similar comment. It was Oct. 25, 2013 and that day (Friday) the stock closed at 169.66. It opened on Monday Oct 28 at 170 but ended up falling to 162 by close. Closing prices then stayed down between 159-164 the next 4 trading days.

Link to Zacks "Bull of the Day" for September 5, 2014: Bull of the Day: Tesla Motors (TSLA) - September 5, 2014 - Zacks.com

Bottom Line

While Tesla has already had a great run this year, there is plenty of reason to still be optimistic regarding this stock. Great growth opportunities are still out there, while the long term outlook remains bright as well.

Currently, we have Tesla as a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy) and feel as though rising earnings estimates signal that more gains can definitely be had in this security in the near term. So don’t focus too much on the surge in Tesla’s price lately, as TSLA shares could definitely keep up their momentum and push past the $300/share barrier before too long.

Good Morning Early Birds!

GF event was at 1 AM for me, could not stay up that long...
Those 1.3B are a sweet deal!
This morning in Frankfurt Borse, TSLA up by 1.4% as from 09:15.

I find the Tesla PR a bit laconic. Maybe more to come?

At least the AH was not catastrophic and I'm half reassured now that it's not a "buy on the rumor, sell on the news" thing.
5 hours 40' to go before opening...that's too long!

Very small quantity trades in premarket. Bear attack???

Can't be green everyday. News was priced in. What's REALLY interesting to me is the question of how will Tesla be valued now. Bringing up the point about Chevron and oil energy companies really breaks open the potential for huge valuation. I think everyone is surprised its only 1 gigafactory for now, but I have this feeling Tesla Motors is learning the art of releasing information (finally) so it can blow away our normal expectations.

In the end I think there will be multiple car assembly plants to further improve margin on vehicles. I also think there will be at least one other gigafactory in the world for logistical and tax purposes.

Assuming TSLA has an ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan), what are the days that they buy/distribute stock? At two companies that I've worked for, I've noticed a drop of a few percent the first thing in the morning on the next day as people sell that stock at market value. I typically sell in the afternoon on the next day to avoid this drop. If someone was looking to buy, timing it right after an ESPP purchase day may be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.