Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The initial gap down was probably a function of Elon's comments, but the slide over the past 30-45 minutes has a lot more to do with the overall market than anything TSLA-specific. The RUT has gone from in the green to -.60% in the red very quickly, coinciding almost exactly with TSLA's slide.

TSLA has some days where it bucks the market trend, but no stock can do that every day.

Indeed - jobs numbers missed by a large factor, but ironically, market is also starting to see this as fuel for Yellen keeping the "money tap" on at the Fed, which the market likes.

Investors "sometimes get carried away" with the stock price, Musk said. "If you care about the long term, I think the stock is a good price. If you look at the short term, it is less clear."

I think Musk is looking out for the interests of long term investors. He says it is a good price for serious investors, while scaring away the momentum traders.

I think he is also signaling that their will not be another capital raise anytime soon. That is, if Tesla wanted to raise capital, they would exploit an overpriced stock.

So here's the riddle. How can Tesla develop two or three gigafactories without raising more capital? The clues are right in front of us, but the market does not comprehend it. This is definitely the time for long term investors.

276 obviously didn't hold for long. What other levels of support are there and how strong are they?

We were due for some consolidation - hopefully that's all it is an we will resume our run upwards.

Well the big one would be 265, I would think... given that was our last top and we successfully broke it. If it goes south of 265 It could go all the way down to the 200MA which I believe is around 203 right now. Beyond that it looks like there was pretty decent support at the 273~ level which kept us from going farther down than we did.

Oh, yeah, over 20 years the Sparks plant will produce 1000 GWh of battery packs. So the $1.25B tax incentive is only worth $1.25 per kWh. That is a trivial amount of savings compared to other cost reductions. If people want to get their political panties in a wad, let them. It is by no means critical to Tesla's success or profitability.

The cost of capital is going to be high on a large investment with a time lag (could be 6 years before full production), especially given Tesla's stated aim of targeting low prices, so those tax breaks are clearly going to be more valuable than $1.25 per kWh.

First, glad Elon thought of long-term investors in how he responded this time (and I think he meant what he said, which is encouraging re long term). I think he really appreciates those who have believed in the company enough to invest their money based upon the future Tesla is trying to build.

As to his remarks on the short-term, Elon has said in the past that TSLA's big moves are something of a distraction at Tesla. He said something like it's not helpful for the stock's price to drive mood at the company. In the past year he's mentioned Warren Buffet's line about the stock market being a manic depressive a couple of times. I don't think he wants the collective Tesla psyche to be a manic depressive.

What's more, I think perception of TSLA, Tesla Motors, and Tesla's products (and EVs as a whole even) bleed into each other. I think TSLA shooting up increases its vulnerability to being perceived as a "hyped fad" (fairly or not), which bleeds into increased vulnerability of the Model S and Model X (and EVs generally) as being perceived as a "hyped fad." I really think a 40+% nose dive in the stock like we saw last fall hurts perception of the products in and of itself (of course more so if it's over a concern about the product, as the fires were). I think he wants TSLA's appreciation to be steady and sober and as rational as possible, mirroring the steady, grounded rationality of determining that ICE belong in the past, EVs in our present and future.

Last edited:
I think he wants TSLA's appreciation to be steady and sober and as rational as possible, mirroring the steady, grounded rationality of determining that ICE belong in the past, EVs in our present and future.

Thanks for this. Very wise and intelligent words.
And that's how I want to behave now: sober, rational. These spikes like the one we had yesterday are very exciting, are very profitable to some of us but not what we should excpect regularly, and not what our investment should be based on.
Today is a reality check (once again).
I really benefited from the last run, still in there, even added a bit more today at 274,2. Hope it resumes soon, at a steady pace!

Elon was being honest, as usual. For us investors, it's like being forced to take a spoonful of cod liver oil... it might taste bad at the time but it has a long term benefit.

The stock is high... but what concerns investors is what it's going to do next. If it's high but there is a guarantee that it will go higher... investors will be happy to buy it. There are no guarantees of anything, but with TSLA there is a certain force pushing it upwards.

If we compare the "available information" that investors had about Tesla when Elon spoke about the stock in August 2013 with what we have today... we have a lot more information. And it's almost completely positive... way more than is needed to get into the stock.

Elon's honesty may not be enjoyable right now, but it means we really appreciate it when he speaks about the technical outlook for the company and so on - because we know there is no baloney.

Elon was being honest, as usual. For us investors, it's like being forced to take a spoonful of cod liver oil... it might taste bad at the time but it has a long term benefit.

The stock is high... but what concerns investors is what it's going to do next. If it's high but there is a guarantee that it will go higher... investors will be happy to buy it. There are no guarantees of anything, but with TSLA there is a certain force pushing it upwards.

If we compare the "available information" that investors had about Tesla when Elon spoke about the stock in August 2013 with what we have today... we have a lot more information. And it's almost completely positive... way more than is needed to get into the stock.

Elon's honesty may not be enjoyable right now, but it means we really appreciate it when he speaks about the technical outlook for the company and so on - because we know there is no baloney.

Sorry....have to throw this in for some humor, but you are right.

mary-poppins-spoonful-of-sugar.jpg

Why it is awesome that EM says the stock is too high

(ok, maybe he didn't say that exactly)

So I think the first time he did it we chalked it up to a dumb mistake, but clearly that isn't the case when it repeats. And, yes, it causes the market to move down, no point in debating that either. I don't like it when we get a big red candle- no fun.

BUT, if you step back a bit this is remarkable, and awesome. 99.99% of other CEO's would sell a child to make the stock go up a few % one day. They may even consider it a responsibility to try to get the stock up if at all possible, and plan for the long term also, maybe. But get the stock up today because who knows what the future holds?

Then you have Mr. Musk, who now we can say makes a *habit* of taking potshots at the price. Why on earth would he do this?

1) He knows he is in it for the long haul
2) He knows there is enough stuff in the pipeline for a much higher price later. (He says it will be worth a lot more eventually)
3) a price that gets ahead of itself now can be a liability, for some of the reasons discussed on this board.

The price is *for sure* pricing in some future success now. When he takes a shot at the valuation he knows he is just knocking down some of that future valuation. From his point of view the speculative component of the stock price is a distraction. He would prefer it took a straight line between 0 and 1000 and he probably perceives when it goes above some line, then feels ok to take a swipe at it.

It all speaks to the supreme confidence he has in the future valuation, that he feels *negative* obligation to prop up the stock price *now*. That is astonishing!

From CNBC just now: they played the clip with Elon saying that the stock "is kind of high right now", and of course cut out the following 10 secs where he clarified that it's a good value for the long term.

Classy.

Just last night, I was speaking to my Aunt in her mid80s whose come to love Tesla. She's always telling me how she can't believe the negative spin CNBC puts on Tesla, especially a show I think is called Fast Money with a panel on it, all taking shots at Tesla (well, I've clips of the show, most do take shots, at least one guy is more or less bullish). Well, last night she was excited to tell me she called CNBC in the morning, and told someone they were being unreasonably negative about Tesla and everyone can see what a great company it is, and how CNBC looks foolish. She went on to tell me, the next report on Tesla was pretty good and she thought the problem was fixed... only for that "Fast Money" gang to all bash Tesla in the afternoon.

She asked me to call CNBC, and tell everyone I know who knows about Tesla to do so. Well, I sort of did agreed to do the first, but on the second, with this particular one on running the clip with good price for long term investment edited out, hey everyone, maybe we could take my aunt's suggestion and call or tweet CNBC and let them know we think they can do better!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this.

Glad to hear you appreciated it Renaud.

Status
Not open for further replies.