Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap and why is the market not reacting at all?
The market might think that Tesla doesn't really mean it. For instance, see one of the replies under Elon's tweet (from one of the usual suspects):

spiegel.png

When a second one opens, and when a clear expansion plan is announced (like there is for the SC network), the market will react.

I personally love the battery swap idea, even though it's a difficult logistics problem to solve. I got the impression that Elon wasn't very enthusiastic about the concept, but if this pilot station is a success, that might change.

The market might think that Tesla doesn't really mean it. For instance, see one of the replies under Elon's tweet (from one of the usual suspects):

View attachment 66462

When a second one opens, and when a clear expansion plan is announced (like there is for the SC network), the market will react.

I personally love the battery swap idea, even though it's a difficult logistics problem to solve. I got the impression that Elon wasn't very enthusiastic about the concept, but if this pilot station is a success, that might change.

I think it was probably really important that it open this calendar year (for ZEV credit reasons), and hence it is actually something the market should react to, but probably doesn't understand. I like buying opportunities like I believe this one to be. Unfortunately it's hard to know when the penny will drop on this; it might not be until ZEV credits get sold and reported, maybe a year from now.

But the 'tax-credit collection ploy' is of California's own making. :confused:
--

Yeah, which is what makes the Tweet FUD because CARB came up with the new rules themselves knowing full well what Tesla was doing previously and what they planned to do in the future. So if they didn't want Tesla to "tax-credit collection ploy" the system then they should have shut the system down entirely. It isn't like any of this came out of left field... we have been sitting on this for over a year now... and almost 2 years since they talked about making the change in the first place!

This is a cool beta program, but I personally think the Tesla Superchargers blanketing the country/world are now and should continue to be the lifeblood of long-range electric transportation until/unless we have electrified "rails" for cars on major highways in the distant future. Either way, it's cool that it's online.

Today is a Quadruple Witching day in the market, which may be having an effect on TSLA and other actively traded stocks. I suspect this and QQQ movement are the primary drivers of price action today.

This article has a couple of interesting numbers I wasn´t aware of, like 3000-4000 P85Ds this quarter:
Tesla Motors: - Stocks to Watch - Barrons.com

Time to warm up spread sheets for Q4 results?

Summary of Trip Chowdry's comment:
  • Tesla’s Factory in Fremont is currently manufacturing about 1,200 to1,250 cars per week
  • The shift to 85kWh version of Model S is very significant. 85kWh version of Model S is $10K more than 60kWh version of Model S
  • This quarter, probably between between 3,000 to 4,000 P85D’s will be delivered, with an average ASP of $129K
  • We estimate that the above will probably increase the ASP by about 5% to 8%
  • Demand continues to outstrip Supply: Everyday probably between 170 to 200 of Model S are being booked
    • Tesla’s Autopilot, Instant Torque, Safety, Designer Looks and Driving experience, are the primary reasons Tesla’s Demand is outstripping Supply
  • Starting last week of December’2014, some stores may have P85D for test drives, with probably all the stores having P85D available for test drives by March’2015
  • Once TSLA starts giving the Test drives on P85D, the demand for P85D could just continue getting strong
  • Every data point we have indicates that Demand is outstripping Supply

Based on previous history I am cautious about information coming from his reports, but one of the tidbits in this one is that factory is at 1200-1250 cars/week. If true, this is spectacular news, hopefully this is based on information from a factory visit, not a speculation.

But you should ignore that information because he has proven unreliable with previous "facts".

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 66462

CA's ZEV rules changed so that swapping credits are essentially based on proportion of miles traveled using swapping, right? Given that proportion will be extremely low, they won't accrue many credits. If anything, its potential value is to persuade CARB that people don't swap because they don't need to swap, so the "fast refueling" credit requirements are bogus.

I see swapping as useful for (a) high peak travel (b) replacing your battery.

We also don't have details on what the swapping entails. The blog said "With further automation and refinements on the vehicle side, ..." which almost hints that it's partially a Turk and there'll be Tesla employees doing some of the swapping work.

Based on previous history I am cautious about information coming from his reports, but one of the tidbits in this one is that factory is at 1200-1250 cars/week. If true, this is spectacular news, hopefully this is based on information from a factory visit, not a speculation.

What's more even if the 1,200 to 1250 cars/week is accurate, that does not mean it's an ongoing rate just yet. That is, with the complications in getting P85D's produced, Tesla may have fallen off track for their 33K vehicle guidance and turned to overtime to get back on track. Don't get me wrong, great news if this is true and an ongoing rate, but it's not so clear that this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.