Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even bother reading clickbait like this anymore. On the one hand, we have the CEO making a public statement about demand and deliveries, a statement made with full access to all the data. On the other hand, we have an amateur analyst claiming that because he can't line up the numbers, the CEO must be lying. Lying in this context would be a criminal offense, so it seems far more likely than not that Elon is telling the truth.

I don't even bother reading clickbait like this anymore. On the one hand, we have the CEO making a public statement about demand and deliveries, a statement made with full access to all the data. On the other hand, we have an amateur analyst claiming that because he can't line up the numbers, the CEO must be lying. Lying in this context would be a criminal offense, so it seems far more likely than not that Elon is telling the truth.

One of the first comments on that article:

Could you please tell me one reason why would they lie about revenue? CEO thinks that price of stock is on the high end, for foreseeable future they don´t need cash so why would they risk court and their reliability by lying about revenue? What impact would have 100mil lower revenue in 3rd quarter 2014 on future of the company, when stock is based on selling 100ks of cars in 2018?There is no logic in your statement.

I couldn't have said it better myself :D

Just want to point out that there has never been a case where the 200day MA wasn't a buying opportunity.

broad_dec1.JPG

I'm considering dipping in soon, but I'm also considering deploying cash to short oil and oil stocks, which I wish I had done last month when I wrote about it.

On a less immediate note: on a day like today in which the market devalues what it perceives to be "alternative energy stocks," take heart: there is no price of oil that can compete with free electricity from the sun. Our solar electric future is not only inevitable, it is coming sooner than OPEC expected, and they are lashing out against it, against Iran, against Russia, and against the world telling them we no longer wish to be slaves to the sludge.

They are beginning to fight us in earnest, because they are scared we will achieve our goals sooner than they expected: eliminating oil's use in transportation and making near-zero incremental cost energy that powers electric transportation a firm global reality.

I'm with you on this. I just rolled the rest of my stock into LEAPS when we dipped under $230 - gulp.

Wow good luck sir. If I did not have to pay taxes on my current shares I would do the same thing. As it is I have unloaded a few underwater options that expire in JAN (ex leaps) and have been picking up SCTY share instead.

Glad to see we are moving back up I hope we have seen the low for the day.

I'm considering dipping in soon, but I'm also considering deploying cash to short oil and oil stocks, which I wish I had done last month when I wrote about it.

On a less immediate note: on a day like today in which the market devalues what it perceives to be "alternative energy stocks," take heart: there is no price of oil that can compete with free electricity from the sun. Our solar electric future is not only inevitable, it is coming sooner than OPEC expected, and they are lashing out against it, against Iran, against Russia, and against the world telling them we no longer wish to be slaves to the sludge.

They are beginning to fight us in earnest, because they are scared we will achieve our goals sooner than they expected: eliminating oil's use in transportation and making near-zero incremental cost energy that powers electric transportation a firm global reality.

Amen. The irony of OPEC lashing out at alternative energy by lowering oil prices is that this serves to hasten the ramp up of production. Lowering oil prices decreases the cost of manufacture and transport of alternative energy products. Most of the cost of alternative energy is front loaded. So whatever is saved on the front end will pay free energy dividends for a long time to come. Think about all the diesel construction crews will burn through building the Gigafactory. They will be more profitable thanks to low oil. As Tesla negotiates additional contracts while the price of oil is expected to remain low, it should get lower bids from competing subcontractors. Thus, the cost of the Gigafactory itself will be lower than it would have been if oil had stayed above $100. Now think of all of Tesla's suppliers who gain a windfall of lower manufacturing, transportation, and construction costs as they ramp up to supply Tesla. The whole supply chain gets cheaper and more profitable just in time for Model 3. Thanks, OPEC, we'll take your cheap energy and build out the means to make you obsolete.

One thing I'm sure: I'm not clicking on an SA article again.
So today is just the full result of the -6% of oil of last thursday/friday I guess. Friday's small dip was just the appetizer. I hope this is the main and the dessert will be a quick rebound!!!
A lot of alternative energy stock are indeed down today...
As for TSLA, amazing how quickly it went down and even broke the 230's! Glad that the 200dma is still kind of supporting, let's say that it went under because of the inertia induced by the freefall ;-)

Now, technically, is there anything that can make it float on the 200dma? Historically as shown in a previous chart (thanks AustinEV), it's been the start of a rally, the last time from 220 to 260, but it needs a spark!
What's next in the pipeline?
-D deliveries or reviews?
-Surprising news out of the blue?
-Detroit auto show?
-Q4 better than forecasted?
-2015 Forecast confirmed way above 55k units?

We should all be thrilled by the reduced international mischief opportunities available to oil-dependent Iran and Russia.

I couldn't care less about faraway countries that are not presenting threats to our shores. The economic ramifications for Americans and their businesses are of interest to me. I'm looking forward to the day that greatly reduced American consumption of petroleum products keeps us from meddling politically and militarily in the affairs of distant nations. By that time Tesla Motors may have become the world's leading automaker.

Pretty easy to refute. He didn't have the right numbers... didn't take out the powertrain sales, didn't estimate Canada properly, didn't account for Hong Kong, UK, or Japan.

One question is whether or not any of the regulatory credits revenue occurs outside U.S., China, or Norway - not the ZEV credits, but the $16.7 million in regulatory credits.

So is the consensus view that this dip is caused by the perceived correlation to oil prices and TSLA?

There should be no relation to Tesla sales and oil prices, I wish the panic sellers realize this. Anyone who can afford a $70K+ car is not really worried about gas prices. If anything this should help Tesla. Low oil prices kill hybrid and low cost EV sales, which means less money spent by automakers to improve them, weakening future competition for Tesla. OTH low gas prices help sell full size trucks and full size suvs. GM and Ford get 70 and 90% of their profits from full size trucks. I can understand if their stock price goes up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ride - 2002 Chevy Colorado
Wife's Ride - 2011 GMC Acadia
My Future Ride - MS 60??

So is the consensus view that this dip is caused by the perceived correlation to oil prices and TSLA?

That's the way it seems some investors have been behaving since Friday, but as usual such knee-jerk reactions appear to have been overdone. By the time Model 3's are pouring off the assembly line, the frackers may be out of business and crude oil back at $100 a barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.