Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Dan is calculating 3X (our colleagues'?) residential bast case model and no Powerpack commercial sales?

What's more, Dan's colleague's 1GWh estimate for Tesla Energy residential sales were for the U.S. only. On the earnings call, Elon and JB explicitly said the product currently is economically compelling in markets outside the U.S. (Germany and Australia were singled out), while in the U.S., it would be more of a purchase on principle than an economically beneficial decision at this point for consumers (with exceptions like Hawaii).

What's more, Dan's colleague's 1GWh estimate for Tesla Energy residential sales were for the U.S. only. On the earnings call, Elon and JB explicitly said the product currently is economically compelling in markets outside the U.S. (Germany and Australia were singled out), while in the U.S., it would be more of a purchase on principle than an economically beneficial decision at this point for consumers (with exceptions like Hawaii).

Dan also needs to look at the 60 GW of peak power capacity added each year at a installed cost of about $1/W. Tesla Powerpacks can deliver this capacity for $0.5/W in easily deployable modules that can go anywhere. They can also provide frequency regulation along with dispatchable load to create even more value per Watt. Just offsetting the 60 GW of incremental peak fossil capacity creates a 120 to 240 GWh market for Tesla to dominate. It's going to take multiple Gigafactories to capture this market.

So tonight CNBC is going to air a piece called "Is TSLA undriveable?!" at 5pm on Fast Money, ostensibly talking about the Consumer Reports door handle repair non-news. You know, from the guys whose Tesla Grin cannot be wiped off their faces, ever.

As hit jobs go, this one is pretty weak. I like our chances tomorrow as the book hits newsstands.

Has anyone read a pre release of the book or knows anyone that has? That info would be good to know.

Has anyone read a pre release of the book or knows anyone that has? That info would be good to know.

Here is an actually rather large excerpt from the book, if you haven't seen it yet:

Elon Musk’s Space Dream Almost Killed Tesla | Bloomberg Business

To me, this is going to show more of the world the Elon we already know. Mercilessly truthful, brilliant, indefatigable, visionary, workhorse, not motivated by short term greed. Basically, a dream CEO for a world-changing company.

But still a guy who has had some very tough times in his life. You know, human.

If you have an iOS device, you can go to the iBooks app on your device and search for the book on the iBookstore. If you pre-order the book, you'll see a 187-page (well, phone-page) preview of the book. Very interesting, I'm finishing it right now, can't wait for the full book!

Bear/FUD attack times are ahead: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ring-the-fed-liftoff-2015-05-18?siteid=yhoof2

and http://fortune.com/2015/05/18/tesla-texas/?xid=yahoo_fortune

Old ideas/old news for the TMC investor crowd but, IMO, bears starting to churn whatever ammo they have.

The title of the fortune piece, "Tesla Was Just Dealt Another Huge Blow" in relation to the Texas Legislature not changing a law that's been in place as longer than Tesla ever existed is worthy of the FUD hall of fame. In seven words not only do they present a minor event as a "huge blow," they repeat the false narrative of "a string of bad Tesla news everyone knows about" that is at the heart of this kind of negative campaigning.

Today reminded me of how it was in reverse around January / February of this year. Back then the bears were totally in control and any good news was swatted away without consideration. That feels like how the market is treating any bad news at the moment. Ah, Panasonic said Tesla don't have new tech and they just pulled a marketing coup... Nobody cares. CLSA release a negative report... Nobody cares. Barclays release a negative report... Nobody cares.

John Lovallo, Mark Spiegel, Corey Johnson and Paulo Santos walk in to a bar... .

wearing a
TeslaIcon.JPG
shirt and shorts.

The nonsense from USA Today that partly caused the weakness today, was about a video from Consumer Reports that was published last Wednesday. The Consumer Reports video in reality praised how quickly Tesla fixed the problem. Unless I'm missing something, USA Today completely made up the part about the vehicle being towed.

The comment from JP Morgan is barely a coherent thought.

I think they are trying to say something like

(Interest rates might go up soon, therefore it might cost Tesla more to issue bonds, therefore Tesla's stock might fall.)

Very strange.

Last edited:

Tim Urban, whose clearly a huge fan of Elon Musk, read it and thought highly enough of it to name it as a key source in his blogs about Elon (Elon Musk: The Worlds Raddest Man | Wait But Why).

That said, we've already seen bears completely twist around positive events into FUD campaign material. Just last week they took a positive video from Bjorn and twisted it into something that never happened, and got the false fabrication repeated in various media stories. As of now, they have a whole book to scan for something to play make believe with.

- - - Updated - - -

The nonsense from USA Today that partly caused the weakness today, was about a video from Consumer Reports that was published last Wednesday. The Consumer Reports video in reality praised how quickly Tesla fixed the problem. Unless I'm missing something, USA Today completely made up the part about the vehicle being towed.

You missed nothing. Completely made up. Like Bjorn slowing his car because the battery could only take 12 minutes on the Autobahn, when he actually slowed his car because he had entered Denmark, and was complying with its speed limit.

On FUD days I just take a step back and think to myself: All that matters at the end of the day is the stock price. All the info and all the expectations of the market is summed up in that one figure. And when I take another step back I think to myself: The stock price today isn't even all that important, since I'm not selling my stock for years to come still. This thinking makes any irriation go away.

On FUD days I just take a step back and think to myself: All that matters at the end of the day is the stock price. All the info and all the expectations of the market is summed up in that one figure. And when I take another step back I think to myself: The stock price today isn't even all that important, since I'm not selling my stock for years to come still. This thinking makes any irriation go away.

I hear you Johan. It does still concern me that the blatant and voluminous promotion of false information about Tesla and Elon Musk has the potential to include false information that actually affects not merely the stock's short-term action, but actual perception of Tesla, its products, and its CEO. Then again, I'd probably be a happier fellow welcoming flies as part of the picnic rather than letting myself be irritated by wishing they weren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.