Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Texas known for special interest and corruption stemming from the high concentration and tradition of rich and powerful oil men? Also for embracing the death penalty, believing they're bigger and better than everyone else and being very religious? At least that's how we see it from the outside (in Europe).

California in general is though of as free thinking, progressive and environmental. But also a bit decadent and shallow (plastic surgery, celebrities, show biz).

Elon just met Beijing mayor. This could be pretty big. Beijing has a lottery license plate system which Tesla has not qualified as being exempt so far.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/local/2015-05/30/c_127858321.htm

Fortune listed Beijing as the final holdout among China's mega cities that has not included the Model S in new energy vehicle subsidies list. Looks like that it may very well change this policy. Tesla Motors set to turnaround sales in China - Fortune

Also Beijing has the No 4 car company in China, maybe a JV is coming ? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Automotive_Group)

Google Translate:

May 30, 2015 02:51:24 Source: Beijing Daily

(Reporter Xu Feipeng) yesterday afternoon, the mayor met with the CEO of Tesla Wang Anshun Mr. Andy Herron · Musker and his party.

Wang Anshun warm welcome to the guests. He said that Beijing attaches great importance to the new energy automotive industry, will serve as a long-term strategic emerging industries to develop it. The development of new energy vehicles, but also help promote the adjustment of energy structure, improve air quality. Beijing's new energy vehicles have a strong demand, a huge market. Your company is the world's leading high-tech electric car company, I hope you in China, in Beijing to achieve better development, and Beijing to jointly promote the development of new energy automotive industry.

Andy Herron · Musk said that Beijing promote the new energy automotive industry development initiatives in the world is advanced. The Chinese market is a very important market, we are willing to achieve greater development in China.

Last edited:
Isn't Texas known for special interest and corruption stemming from the high concentration and tradition of rich and powerful oil men? Also for embracing the death penalty, believing they're bigger and better than everyone else and being very religious? At least that's how we see it from the outside (in Europe).

California in general is though of as free thinking, progressive and environmental. But also a bit decadent and shallow (plastic surgery, celebrities, show biz).

You pretty much nailed it. California like Texas is a big state and Northern California is quite a bit different from Southern California where all the fake people live. I'm in a rural area of Norcal (I can ride my bike to Yosemite Valley) and i'm pretty much surrounded by Hillbilly's, bibles and guns. I picked up a BMW i3 a few weeks ago to tide us over until the Model 3 comes out and I think there are only 3 electric cars in the entire county (1 Leaf, 1 Model S and My i3). I may have a hard time denying myself the Model X and I may have to jump in line on that one later this year.

It is not at all clear to me that Oncor is prohibited from having batteries because they are considered as generation. Surely that is litigatable. The more obvious interpretation would seem to be that they are just storing previously generated electricity like a bank account stores previously generated wealth.

It is not at all clear to me that Oncor is prohibited from having batteries because they are considered as generation. Surely that is litigatable. The more obvious interpretation would seem to be that they are just storing previously generated electricity like a bank account stores previously generated wealth.

Sure, there are multiple ways to change the law. Litigating is one way. I suspect anyone that has the cash to drop $2 billion on an energy storage project has ways to influence the right lawmakers. If that doesn't go their way, they can litigate. Or both simultaneously. Likely getting the law changed is a preferred first approach if they think the lawmakers can be influenced.

In any case, I think the $2 billion number is the most fascinating part of this story. It is a part of why I laugh every time some financial "analyst" uses Ford or GM's P/E in comparison to Tesla's P/E and declares that obviously, Tesla is overvalued.

Sure, there are multiple ways to change the law. Litigating is one way. I suspect anyone that has the cash to drop $2 billion on an energy storage project has ways to influence the right lawmakers. If that doesn't go their way, they can litigate. Or both simultaneously. Likely getting the law changed is a preferred first approach if they think the lawmakers can be influenced.

In any case, I think the $2 billion number is the most fascinating part of this story. It is a part of why I laugh every time some financial "analyst" uses Ford or GM's P/E in comparison to Tesla's P/E and declares that obviously, Tesla is overvalued.

Judges are elected in Texas. Basically little difference from politicians unless tesla can open suit in federal court.

Is there such a principle in the US judicial system as "common sense"? As in a battery stores energy that has been generated by some other means, it does not per se generate energy. This is not a judgement call- this is a fact of nature.

In other words, if Oncor went ahead and built their facility and then got some kind of "cease and desist" letter they could just reply that "but the batteries do not generate electricity, they just store electricity" and be done with it?

I live in California and feel the same way!
However, the "free thinking, progressive and environmental" part is Northern California and the "bit decadent and shallow" part is Southern California. At least, that's how I feel.
Oddly enough, Tesla Motors HQ is in Northern California. SpaceX HQ and Elon Musk's home are in Southern California. Elon probably had a lot of time to think about the Hyperloop during his trips back and forth using the 405.

interesting set of stereotypes there, now what do people say about Europeans and Norwegians?

interesting set of stereotypes there, now what do people say about Europeans and Norwegians?

My guess is, different things for different people and by different people. Europe is even bigger than both CAL and TEX (remember that gasoline brand?) and IIRC Norway is longer than Cal along one axis.

What would be YOUR Eur / NO stereotype in this caltext? Come on now, don't be coy! :smile:

Squareheads so introverted that that Norwegian who loved his wife SOOOOO much...he almost told her.

Yeah pretty much. :)

I'm Swedish. After you've been my neighbor for three years I might say Hi to you. We haven't been in a war since the 18th century - we'd rather let the nazis use our railways to ship their troops back and forth between our occupied neighboring countries than get involved. We think we know pretty much how everyone else is based or their ethnicity and nationality (my post above is point in case).

Norwegians on the other hand: think they are were smart, deserving and entitled for finding huge reserves of oil off their cost (but NOT plain lucky). Think their newly acquired fortune (from said oil) makes them cultured (no), skilled (no), distinguished (no), important (no), better than anyone else (no, no more than Texans). Also they think they work hard (they don't) and are as a people very open minded and tolerant (they're not).

Did I mention I myself am very humble, in fact one of the most humble people I've ever met? ;)

Here's something that could possibly influence TSLA short term price. The Solar Impulse 2 is finally airborne from Nanjing, China, and en route to Hawaii. If all goes well the non-stop flight will take about 6 days www.solarimpulse.com . The team's mission is to promote clean energy, and best of all IT IS AN ELECTRIC AIRPLANE FLYING AROUND THE WORLD. The flight hasn't been publicized too much so far by U.S. media because it hasn't made its way to U.S. soil yet, but all of that is going to change in about 6 days if the flight is successful.

So, do you know why so many airlines began service around 1929? A fellow named Charles Lindbergh flew from New York to Paris in 1927 and ignited the public's imagination about the potential of aviation. After that flight, money flowed into aviation in a big way. I don't expect this record flight to be received with the same level of interest as Lindbergh's flight (nothing short of flying to the moon has done so up to this point), but you can expect to see substantial interest in clean energy, batteries, and electric modes of transportation starting in about a week. The flight continues on to Arizona from Hawaii on its eastbound journey to Abu Dhabi, where it began the trip. I'm wishing the team success.

Status
Not open for further replies.