Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully we can all laugh about this in a few weeks/month after we recover:smile:

Much depends upon whether the market takes a rational view of the Chinese and Greek problems or over-reacts and in so doing creates a bigger problem. Hoping the market calms down in the next few days and people realize that Tesla is production-constrained and has limited China exposure. Then give us a Model X dashboard and reveal so that TSLA can recover. Electracity, I understand your position and agree with it. I was hoping the markets settle in days rather than in weeks.

Elon Musks Sun Valley Talk Leaves Media Moguls a Bit Confused - Bloomberg Business

A number of media moguls milling about the resort expressed a mixture of awe and confusion after co-founder of Tesla Motors Inc. talked at a panel on Wednesday. Some said they had no idea what Musk was talking about, while CBS Corp. Chief Executive Officer Les Moonves dubbed him a “genius.”
“He gave his view of the future,” Moonves remarked while walking from the panel to the lodge.

I think my car is out of engine oil and gasoline because I can't find any! Should I be mad?

Ot but it's funny how hard it is for people to grasp that our motors run backwards when we put the car in reverse. They just don't get it and after 3-5 minutes they still have that confused look on their face.

On the short term side. I tried a weekly this morning. Sold it for a loss a few hours later. Picking up September calls though.

I might be selling those shares I bought last week and putting them into jan 16's if tomorrow looks like the bottom of this mess.

I might be selling those shares I bought last week and putting them into jan 16's if tomorrow looks like the bottom of this mess.

Not that you mind this, but just for others who jump back and forth between shares and options, a friendly reminder that if you sell shares and immediately buy options with those proceeds you still must hold those options for 3 days to clear the stock sale (as opposed to the 1 day option clearing time). If purchased tomorrow, this would mean you couldn't sell those options until, Monday/Tues (depending on how they calculate the days). LEAPS you might not mind, unless you pick a false bottom, and we plung another 10$ on Friday (or gasp! Monday!), then you are stuck with higher leverage (meaning harder losses) and you can't sell them off yet.

The only way around this would be if you have the margin to cover the sale/purchase/sale cycle till the funds truly clear.

Especially going into Tesla connect, and the Model X reveal, I'm adding significantly. The good thing about gaps is they tend to get filled both ways, especially when the decline is being caused by margin calls, probably unrelated to the stock.

No-one has commented on the statements about the Gigafactory being 3X the expected size, or the comments about demand for the Model X. Elon will comment about Space X by the end of the week. Instead, analysts have initiated arbitrary downgraded, while at the same time upgrading their price targets? Additionally, none of these supposed expert analysts have commented the the status of Tesla's partnership with Panasonic. Very convenient.

Last edited:
Especially going into Tesla connect, and the Model X reveal, I'm adding significantly. The good thing about gaps is they tend to get filled both ways, especially when the decline is being caused by margin calls, probably unrelated to the stock.

No-one has commented on the statements about the Gigafactory being 3X the expected size, or the comments about demand for the Model X. Elon will comment about Space X by the end of the week. Instead, analysts have initiated arbitrary downgraded, while at the same time upgrading their price targets? Very convenient.

First of all: the bolded part - so true.

Second: yes this is just the general markets having a pull back and selling out of growth stocks proportionally more than other investments since these kinds of stocks, with which TSLA is lumped, are the ones most sensitive to slowing of the economical growth due to recession. In a continued recession this divestment out of growth tech type companies causing them to not thrive is just another example of how a recession can keep making itself worse and worse if it goes beyond a certain threshold. Which in turn is of course why we keep seeing national banks and governments doing just about everything in their power to keep from going in to recession (negative interest, constant "artificial" injections of capital in to the markets by different stimuli and economical constructs etc.).

Hi,

Do you (anyone) think this situation in China is partly responsible for Tesla's decline? If so maybe it would be better to be cautious about going long until it is clear we have reached the bottom?
China 1929 Crash Worsens; Contagion Spreads To HK: Rest-of-World Next?

1. At last the world appears to be waking up to the fact that China's stock market crash is a much bigger deal than Greece.

2. Nearly $3.5 trillion has already been wiped off the China stock market in the last few weeks. This crash is taking place in the world's second-largest stock market after the United States.

3. The panic in China's mainland markets is showing signs of contagion as it ripples across the border, knocking the Hong Kong market down more than 4 percent in a single day. Overseas-listed Chinese companies are also slumping.

4. Almost all the experts are agreed that the China stock market is going down too fast and this is wealth destruction on an unprecedented scale in recent years.

5. The epic collapse in Chinese equities, which is still unfolding, has been one of the most significant market routs since the financial crisis of 2007-2008.

6. The total losses are more than 14 times the GDP of Greece; just a shade under the GDP of Germany; or more than one and a half times India's GDP.

7. China’s stocks have collectively plummeted by more than 30 percent since their mid-June highs, and a series of measures by the country’s securities regulator have failed to slow the decline.

8. The Shenzhen Composite Index has led the market crash with a 39 percent plunge since its June 12 peak, as margin traders continue to unwind bullish bets.

9. The crash comes after the Shanghai Composite soared nearly 60 percent since the start of 2015, while the Shenzhen Composite jumped by 120 percent since the start of this year, easily making them the world’s best performing stock markets.

10. As a result of this year’s rally, the Shanghai Stock Exchange briefly became the world’s third-biggest by market cap at US$5.9 trillion. Only the New York Stock Exchange, with a market cap of circa $20 trillion, and the Nasdaq, at circa $7 trillion, were bigger at the time.

11. Much of the rise in the domestic stock markets has been fueled by Chinese state media that promoted the benefits of stock investing to regular Chinese people.

12. Like many of history’s great bubbles, this one was built on borrowed money. Total margin lending -- borrowing money to buy stocks -- is estimated by analysts to add up to $645 billion, which accounts for a significant portion of China’s $7 trillion stock market when leveraged up.

13. The investing frenzy became so feverish that many ordinary citizens engaged in high risk investing, such as buying on margin.

14. Chinese companies immediate solution to avoid further losses at the stock market is to suspend trading.

15. Around 1,544 Chinese companies have so far decided to suspend trading of their stocks, which equates to more than 54% percent of all listed companies on Chinese markets.

16. These corporate suspensions have locked up $2.6 trillion of shares, or more than 40 percent of China’s market capitalisation, and have become increasingly popular as stock prices continue to tumble.

17. For some, the China market appears to have failed. They say that the market has become significantly illiquid, less transparent, less efficient and less fair.

18. The China stock market crash entered bear territory at the end of June this year.

19. The crash in the Chinese stock market bears a striking resemblance to the market crash in the US in 1929.

20. The panicked Chinese authorities in Beijing have ramped up their efforts to curb further market losses by:

A. Cutting interest rates to a record low;

B. Relaxing margin lending rules;

C. Pumping liquidity into the banking system;

D. Suspending initial public offerings (IPOs) indefinitely;

E. Making stock purchases by state-directed funds;

F. Setting up a market-stabilisation fund; and

G. Having the top 25 mutual fund houses speed up the application and issuance of equity funds.

21. China’s top 21 securities brokerages have also vowed not to sell shares and even buy to help stabilise the market. Over the weekend, the brokerages announced they would collectively pump 15 per cent of their net assets around $19 billion into stock markets to help support prices.

22. Unfortunately, none of China's measures appear to have worked. Everything but the kitchen sink approach continues to fail to work as losses have deepened in Chinese stock markets' daily volatile trading.

23. All of this has raised fears that China’s economy could be in serious trouble. Growth had already been slowing for the past few years, and numerous economists have raised the alarm about a possible hard landing in the country.

24. A stock market crash in China is likely to further complicate global financial market dynamics, given that those are already spooked by the Eurozone-Greece crisis.

25. Domestic fiscal and monetary policies that aim to guide the Chinese economy into slower growth may also receive a large and unprecedented setback as a result of the out-of-control events now unfolding in the China stock market.

26. When do we recognise fully that Greece is a relative side-show in comparison to China given that the losses in China's stock market now exceed 14 times Greece's GDP?

Mitch, nobody knows how many more days Tesla will decline before it turns around, and so of course caution is reasonable. On the other hand, traders following Tesla know that a Model X reveal could occur very soon and these are attractive prices now at which to buy in and ride TSLA back up. Most potential buyers are sitting on the sidelines, waiting for the stock to bottom out. When TSLA does start rising again, it may rise extremely quickly, as buyers try to keep from missing the boat. Thus, you do see brave investors buying now because once we start up again, these prices may disappear in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
Like many others here, I am down some serious money...but still way up since $180 days. I am continuing to miss the falling knives and buying shares and Sept calls. I, like many here, was shocked at the intensity of this 2 day sell off. I bet another forum member that we would NOT see $275 this year and lost that bet a couple days ago. A bad week all around.

Definitely good to get the $180 perspective. Even with the steep drop over the past 2 days, TSLA is still well above $250.

I'm not surprised at the wild swings, because I think most people still don't grasp Tesla's potential, some investors are spooked by the Greece and China situations, and others are looking to cash in on the ride to $280.

My belief is that TSLA will continue to be as unpredictable in the short term as subatomic particles until the Gigafactory is up to speed and Model 3 sales are undeniably stealing market share from everything from Honda Accord to BMW 3. TSLA may still go lower in the next few days… which I think is a sale for buyers.

Here's that promised 2-minute interview of Elon by CNBC's Julia Boorstin. The first half is about SpaceX then Tesla: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000395002

Anyone notice that at the end of this brief interview he said they'd "start shipping Model X at end of summer"?

to me this means a nice surprise as many of us and The Street have been expecting last week or Sept or beginning of Oct...(first 10 deliveries end of 3rd quarter for example)... It would be great to have the first deliveries done at end of August or beginning of Sept....would mean we're much more likely to get more out of the ramp up in Q4... I project the stock could be volatile short term but will reach new ATH during the 4th quarter if not before.

in some personal news, I was on the X wait list for signature version and got a call to upgrade two weeks ago which I did...I was told configuration for my X was imminent and in July (would be great if revealed at TMC Connect this weekend where ch I won't be at be t hope to go to future ones)...I am also moving to Northern California in 2-3 weeks so I will be local and prioritized (they like to deliver their new products to local buyers first incase something goes wrong) and be able to pick up at the factory and will likely get my X very early...will be sure to share my thoughts on it and if it lives up to our high expectations (the Model S surpassed my very high expectations so I think the X could too)

Anyone notice that at the end of this brief interview he said they'd "start shipping Model X at end of summer"?

to me this means a nice surprise as many of us and The Street have been expecting last week or Sept or beginning of Oct...(first 10 deliveries end of 3rd quarter for example)...

Technically, the end of summer is September 22nd, so it could mean the very first Model X's ship around then.

to me this means a nice surprise as many of us and The Street have been expecting last week or Sept or beginning of Oct...(first 10 deliveries end of 3rd quarter for example)... It would be great to have the first deliveries done at end of August or beginning of Sept....would mean we're much more likely to get more out of the ramp up in Q4

I don't think there's anything to read into this. The last day of summer is September 22nd, which is just about a week before the end of the 3rd quarter...consistent with what we've been hearing for months.

to me this means a nice surprise as many of us and The Street have been expecting last week or Sept
or beginning of Oct...(first 10 deliveries end of 3rd quarter for example)... It would be great to have the first deliveries done at end of August or beginning of Sept....would mean we're much more likely to get more out of the ramp up in Q4... I project the stock could be volatile short term but will reach new ATH during the 4th quarter if not before.

in some personal news, I was on the X wait list for signature version and got a call to upgrade two weeks ago which I did...I was told configuration for my X was imminent and in July (would be great if revealed at TMC Connect this weekend where ch I won't be at be t hope to go to future ones)...I am also moving to Northern California in 2-3 weeks so I will be local and prioritized (they like to deliver their new products to local buyers first incase something goes wrong) and be able to pick up at the factory and will likely get my X very early...will be sure to share my thoughts on it and if it lives up to our high expectations (the Model S surpassed my very high expectations so I think the X could too)

Autumn begins September 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.