Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In New Mexico, pickup trucks (next to Subaru AWDs) are everywhere. Many are 40+ yrs old, belching out nasty smoke.

I would so love to see Tesla come out with a F150 / Tundra equivalent with a 100+ kWh battery and 250mi range and affordable price. Goodbye Detroit when that happens.

I concur, trucks are kind of the top of the mountain when it comes to the North American auto market, Ford alone sells about a million F series every year with an average price of about 50,000. I imagine that will be the next step after the model iii, wonder how/if they would address the aerodynamics?

I concur, trucks are kind of the top of the mountain when it comes to the North American auto market, Ford alone sells about a million F series every year with an average price of about 50,000. I imagine that will be the next step after the model iii, wonder how/if they would address the aerodynamics?

When did a truck designer ever care about aerodynamics? It's the brute blockhead force of its super macho engine that propels the vehicle through solid walls of air that is the attraction, no? I figure trucks aero ratings are at the other end of the scale than cars. Maybe Tesla puts two propellers behind the grille, connects 'em to generators, and improves battery efficiency by 5% every moment you drive...

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind all of us here that lithium ion batteries are considered non-toxic, categorized as non-hazardous waste, and indeed considered safe to landfill. Lead acid batteries, however, which are present in the hundreds on every dealer lot, are incredibly toxic and entirely unsafe to landfill.

So it seems to me that the San Antonio zoning commission has struck down all dealer lot zoning with this action?

Anyway, I get not wanting to put industrial projects on top of aquifers. But Tesla does not offer any increased risk of contamination over any sort of other retail store that might go there. So unless they're refusing zoning of *anything* in that area, then this seems like a strange move to me.

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ("Since Li-ion batteries contain less toxic metals than other types of batteries which may contain lead or cadmium[SUP][53][/SUP] they are generally categorized as non-hazardous waste. Li-ion battery elements including iron, copper, nickel and cobalt are considered safe for incinerators and landfills.")

Health Concerns with Batteries - Battery University ("Lithium-ion is similarly benign – the battery contains little toxic material.")

This implies that the approaches to engineering and business innovation is simply inevitable, and engineers and businessmen were being guided along towards these completely new approaches and developments in transportation, access to space and clean energy. Somehow it was just Elon Musk that ended up in the front of the line. This is simply ridiculous. The sheer force of vision, approach then will to drive relentlessly towards the vision is "arguably" (the strongest argument put forth in the article) unique to Elon, as evidenced by the utter lack of similar approaches in the marketplace.

This is unbelievably important. I always correct people when they refer to Tesla's accomplishments as things that "he" is doing. Tesla is not a he, Tesla is a company. Elon is not accomplishing these things, Tesla is. And Tesla is standing on the shoulders of all of humanity's previous accomplishments.

To think that all of Tesla's accomplishments are down to the efforts of exactly one person is incredibly uninformed.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Marx's Historical Materialism and Hegel's Great Man Theory of History are both wrong.

Individuals can alter the course of history but historical forces set the options great leaders can chose.

George Washington did not alone set America on the course to being the greatest power of the 20th century and George Washington could not have established a Constitutional Federal Republic if he was born in China instead of North America.

Regarding Tesla Energy Storage business, I re read teslas Q1 ER. Per their text below, tesla will go into production of PowerPacks in Q3 (i.e. Now). Therefore, I am now thinking tesla WILL provide some guidance on Tesla Energy on the call tomorrow. I expect flat margins, but some revenue. Sales growth ramp in 2016 could be huge. Nice for Elon to address this in Q&A. Bottom line is that Storage Divsion will be a material revenue line in 2016.

Text from Q1 ER:

We are now preparing our supply chain and production teams to startvolume builds on these new products in Q3. Production will begin at theTesla Factory in Fremont, and in Q1 2016 will expand into theGigafactory and accelerate significantly.
The total addressable market size for Tesla Energy products is enormousand much easier to scale globally than vehicle sales. We are pursuingproduct certification in multiple markets simultaneously and plan to rampdeliveries in the US, EU and Australia in Q4. When combined with lowcost renewable energy, Tesla Energy batteries provide an achievablepathway to a 100% zero carbon energy system.

more photos from reddit following up the night time ones: PICTURES - Model X Testing at Factory : teslamotors

its clearly an X on the test track

VpeGNVS.jpg

This "Doctor" is a total nutt case with an axe to grind (generally speaking). From the university website:

Dr. Francine Romero is the Associate Dean for the College of Public Policy, and an Associate Professor in the Department of Public Administration, at UTSA. She received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from California State University in San Bernardino, and a Master of Arts and Doctorate, both in Political Science, from the University of California, Riverside.Dr. Romero has been with UTSA since 1998. In addition to serving as the Associate Dean of the College of Public Policy, Dr. Romero teaches in the MPA and MSURP programs. Her community service includes serving as Chair of the City of San Antonio’s Conservation Advisory Board, and Vice Chair of the Parks and Recreation Board, as well as several other citizen advisory groups. Professionally, Dr. Romero focuses her research on the institutional determinants of public policy, focusing on civil rights, land use, and Progressive era policy outcomes.
She is the author of two books: Presidents from Theodore Roosevelt through Coolidge, 1901-1929: Debating the Issues in Pro and Con Primary Documents, Greenwood Press, 2002, and Civil Rights Policymaking in the United States: An Institutional Perspective, Praeger, 2002.

Note the degree is an Arts degree in Poly Sci... like seriously... that doesn't even really count as a science degree. It is no wonder that she doesn't realize that Li-ion batteries are non-toxic... She spends her free time it seems mostly on her "pet project" of this Aquifer in that area, so of course anything that would be "new" and built around her "pet project" would be "bad". Seriously google her name and you will find her agenda in this. How much you want to bet that someone went to her, knowing she cared about the aquifer and they said, hey, did you know Tesla is wanting to bring a bunch of "toxic" batteries and put them on top of you aquifer? And she was probably like, "No Way! I can't have this!"

SAWS recommended allowing the showroom under the condition no more than 10 batteries be allowed on the premises at any time.
A Tesla battery is made of 7104 lithium-ion cells. If you have two cars in the showroom, then you've got two batteries. Four, if they are complete cars with the auxiliary battery (and those contain six cells each, by the way).
So, fight stupid with stupid? :rolleyes:

In New Mexico, pickup trucks (next to Subaru AWDs) are everywhere. Many are 40+ yrs old, belching out nasty smoke.

I would so love to see Tesla come out with a F150 / Tundra equivalent with a 100+ kWh battery and 250mi range and affordable price. Goodbye Detroit when that happens.

Imagine how much easier it would have been to design a 1/2 ton pickup than the Model X! And to take a chunk out of the F150 market would be a huge amount of EV trucks! Every last electric utility, plumbing service, etc, etc, would be buying fleets of these!

Elon used to run around in an F150. Developing a light truck has to be on the timeline after Model 3, no? Of course by then he might be Chairman and out of Operations oversight.

ETA: forgot he mentioned it in an interview two years ago...and hinted Texas would be a candidate for the Tesla truck factory...

“I have this idea for a really advanced electric truck that has the performance of a sports car but actually more towing power and more carrying capacity than a gasoline or diesel truck of comparable size. That could be really cool, and I think that would probably make sense to do that at a new plant.”

Tesla Model X Next...Then Mass Market Third Gen...Then It's Truck Time.

OK, OK....I want to see some predictions on SP movement tomorrow!!!!!

Hear, Hear. I think tomorrow is flat, but the real question is what happens Thursday after ER.

I have a very ominous feeling going into this ER, much more than any in the recent past. My biggest fear: Elon hedges on the 55K guidance for 2015 deliveries, and this tanks the stock. I put this possibility as better than 50%. Elon has pulled multiple demand levers for Model S (90kwh, ludicrous, referral program etc) and he would not keep pulling them unless he was worried about 55K guidance. We need ~34k deliveries for the 2nd half and this just seems a very tall order given the demand levers Elon keeps pulling. Model X could pick up the slack, but this would require a rapid and perfect ramp, which is also a very tall order. Then there is the multiple talking heads on CNBC predicting TSLA is going to $220-240. Coupled with other tech stocks getting hammered after diminished guidance (re: Apple), I am left with a sick feeling in my stomach. While I don't think any of this changes the long term story, I have deep fears that short term we are going to re-test ~200.

Someone please talk me out of this doom and gloom scenario:scared:

Hear, Hear. I think tomorrow is flat, but the real question is what happens Thursday after ER.

I have a very ominous feeling going into this ER, much more than any in the recent past. My biggest fear: Elon hedges on the 55K guidance for 2015 deliveries, and this tanks the stock. I put this possibility as better than 50%. Elon has pulled multiple demand levers for Model S (90kwh, ludicrous, referral program etc) and he would not keep pulling them unless he was worried about 55K guidance. We need ~34k deliveries for the 2nd half and this just seems a very tall order given the demand levers Elon keeps pulling. Model X could pick up the slack, but this would require a rapid and perfect ramp, which is also a very tall order. Then there is the multiple talking heads on CNBC predicting TSLA is going to $220-240. Coupled with other tech stocks getting hammered after diminished guidance (re: Apple), I am left with a sick feeling in my stomach. While I don't think any of this changes the long term story, I have deep fears that short term we are going to re-test ~200.

Someone please talk me out of this doom and gloom scenario:scared:

I would be shocked if Elon lowers 55k deliveries. I'd also be shocked if he said demand was a problem/constraint

So I think they probably closed another larger credit line in q2, I'm thinking if it's big enough it would be an up catalyst since the cost of capital is so cheap right now? Wouldn't that assuage worries over "eye-watering" capex? Or maybe nobody is worried about capex because cost of capital is so cheap? Or maybe everybody just wants to know about mx and sales figures?

Of course that's not what everman was saying. The fact is that all previous accomplishments are available for all companies to "stand on", but Musk is clearly a driving force for change, unlike any of the other automotive CEO's.

Thanks JRP3!

Yes, I concede that since we have roads, computers and industrial agriculture, Elon is able to spend his time laying out products and paths to revolutionize transportation on land and in space. I do not concede that these things were inevitable, and 'any old CEO' could have and would have laid out this vision, then driven so relentlessly towards it.

The CEO of a company can unify and lead an otherwise disparate group of brilliant engineers, designers and coders to band together to work towards a seemingly impossible goal. This is Elon's great success. Willing the company's survival through incredible challenges, and crafting a detailed path to success.

The invariably hard working and brilliant engineers, designers and coders at Tesla would not have randomly self assembled, simply because Lion cells, large touch screens and AC motors had already been invented.

To not see that the clear distinguishing factor between Tesla and its staff versus (Big Auto) and their staff is not the number of talented engineers, designers and coders.

I will definitely concede that Tesla's success is not solely due to Elon. Of course Tesla employs thousands of critical path talent. It is absolutely imperative that Tesla continue to attract and retain top talent in the field. But to say Tesla's accomplishments are not primarily due to Elon is to simply not understand the importance of excellent technological strategy, risk and leadership.

As as far as tomorrow's information coming out of the conference call, I am most concerned about the guided effectiveness of the demand levers that are being pulled. Launch of MX and sustained or growing demand for MS are all that is really needed to push shares up. Details on '16 revenue expected from storage is going to be the surprise!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.