Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I figured, many news outlets are misinterpreting what Jonas said about the Model 3 pricing:

https://www.inverse.com/article/801...-s-tesla-model-3-might-cost-60-000-not-35-000

This is exactly what I was referring to yesterday. If they don't recognize and address this moving forward it will always be an issue. It's now an issue today (short term) and you can bet if they launch whenever without delivering at least a few $35k versions it will be a problem then. Without a traditional advertising and marketing program they expose themselves as an easy target of misinformation by title shock. Not everyone is following EM tweets, that is not going to cut it.

This is exactly what I was referring to yesterday. If they don't recognize and address this moving forward it will always be an issue. It's now an issue today (short term) and you can bet if they launch whenever without delivering at least a few $35k versions it will be a problem then. Without a traditional advertising and marketing program they expose themselves as an easy target of misinformation by title shock. Not everyone is following EM tweets, that is not going to cut it.

However I don't think Tesla should change their business plan to keep the short term stock price up. If they feel they need to sell only higher priced versions initially to keep cash flow higher then that's what they should do. Letting the bears claim there is no low priced Model 3 for a while longer doesn't really affect the company in the long run. Besides, if Tesla only ships a few $35K Model 3's the bears will just say it's a token offering and not meaningful. Would I like to see some base models shipped early? Sure, but not if it doesn't make good business sense for the company.

You mean the US. The best selling vehicles in the world are Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus and VW Golf.

Assuming global F-150 sales are 700k, the F-150 is also beat by Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Camry, Wuling Hung Guang, Honda CR-V and Cheverolet Cruze.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't halfway to expiring. It's only about a third of the way there. At the end of the year cumulative sales should be somewhere around 60-65k in the US and the incentive expires at 200k. Plus there's a phase out over about a year. There was a discussion about it here: Will the Model 3 be Ludicrously Fast? - Page 9

Yes, you are correct - should have said in the U.S.

The point is, people spend $60-$70k on vehicles all over America. I think people in California think they have a lock on "wealthy".

The point is, people spend $60-$70k on vehicles all over America. I think people in California think they have a lock on "wealthy".
I'm sure people are buying expensive vehicles where you live, and are just more focused on size.

I think that in a few years we'll see Tesla come out with a pickup based on the Model S/X platform. This should be a very good addition to the vehicle mix in the US and asian markets. The Model X might also help entice buyers, it has workable towing and is roomier than the S.

The average selling price of the F150 varies by month, but is typically around $40,000. The average selling price of the MS is assumed to be about $100K. These markets obviously don't cross for many reasons.

You'll either have to come to accept that this type of information twisting is going to happen or you'll give yourself an ulcer. Tesla isn't actually different than every other media topic out there. You don't notice it because you aren't as invested in all the other topics that are reported/written about, but I assure you the media hardly ever gets the facts straight and without some personal bias from the person doing the reporting/writing. That's the way of the world, and the way of people.

I can't offer you any comfort for your, your wife's or your son's investments at this time. All I can tell you is that Elon Musk has proven that he will not give up until the ultimate goal is reached, and I believe there are enough people right now who know the truth about the Model 3 that when the time comes all of this going on right now in the media won't matter. It's too late for this train to be stopped, but they're going to keep on trying.

3 out of 6 refers to managers of all German branch offices (Niederlassung). Not sure how they come up with 6 as there are more service centres, I guess some share a manager?

Later the article mentions that 6 have followed Schröder.

People reported leaving bei Wirtschaftswoche:

Marcel Meub: Store Manager Frankfurt Marcel Meub - Store Manager Tesla Motors - Tesla Motors | XING
Alan Atzberger: Store Manager Hamburg and Berlin
Jonas Rabe: Event Coordinator Germany, Marketing https://de.linkedin.com/in/jonas-rabe-33422246

Here's the original article (it has a negative attitude towards Tesla):

Google Translate

You'll either have to come to accept that this type of information twisting is going to happen or you'll give yourself an ulcer. Tesla isn't actually different than every other media topic out there. You don't notice it because you aren't as invested in all the other topics that are reported/written about, but I assure you the media hardly ever gets the facts straight and without some personal bias from the person doing the reporting/writing. That's the way of the world, and the way of people.

I can't offer you any comfort for your, your wife's or your son's investments at this time. All I can tell you is that Elon Musk has proven that he will not give up until the ultimate goal is reached, and I believe there are enough people right now who know the truth about the Model 3 that when the time comes all of this going on right now in the media won't matter. It's too late for this train to be stopped, but they're going to keep on trying.

This. Every single fact about Tesla is twisted by those with a motive, nothing to see here. I realized long ago that it isn't untintentional, I get a chuckle out of most of it these days because it looks like desperation.

Yay, the Greenville, SC, Supercharger is open! This finally connects Atlanta to Charlotte, NC, and most of the Northeast US. I'm very happy I can vacation again in Asheville.

This station will definitely facilitate Tesla sales in Georgia and North Carolina. Whoot!

People reported leaving bei Wirtschaftswoche:

Marcel Meub: Store Manager Frankfurt Marcel Meub - Store Manager Tesla Motors - Tesla Motors | XING
Alan Atzberger: Store Manager Hamburg and Berlin
Jonas Rabe: Event Coordinator Germany, Marketing https://de.linkedin.com/in/jonas-rabe-33422246

Here's the original article (it has a negative attitude towards Tesla):

Google Translate

Store sales managers left , why is this even relevant news.
German sales are not exactly stellar .
The new head of German sales is now the ex head of Swiss sales .

Thanks, we're fine as we only invested what we were willing to risk. And we haven't lost anything yet! In fact, my taxable income for the year with TSLA investments is $32k. No booked losses just yet.

This will be my last comment on the $60k subject. And as always, is opinion based. The buyer of an automobile rarely takes the time to look past headlines. If they see $60k now or later for the M3 they won't even take the time to understand the difference between a launch edition and a base car. We know that for a fact. Even the headlines today will impact their buying decision 2-4 years later. "Hmm.. I remember a few years back, these are $60k. I better go look at the (insert competitive car that is NOT competitive) and see how much they are."
Now their in the clutches of the stereotypical car dealership who is grinding away to make a deal on the spot.

That is a real risk. Take it from someone who has been around the established car sales environment for 30 years. It will have an impact if they don't address it.

Okay, I'm done with the subject. Feel free to comment or not and please don't be offended when I don't respond. I shouldn't beat this horse anymore.

Thanks for putting up with me!

I think TSLA needs to see some more signs the MX production/deliveries is on track. Maybe a factory production picture from an Elon tweet similar to the MX BodyLine picture in the ER.

I think some people fail to understand that the MX production "ramp" is scheduled to happen late in Q4. Still, evidence from Elon (tweet, etc) will help soothe concerns. It would clearly also help for some sig owners to get updated delivery dates from their DS

bottomline, TSLA needs evidence that MX sig deliveries are coming.

Thanks for putting up with me!
I agree with you on the $60K subject. We want $35K to be the number that the general public associates with the Model 3, not $60K! So, as a TSLA bull, Adam Jonas is sort of working against himself by asserting that the average selling price will be far above $35K. If he was trying to say that the profit margin is going to be excellent on the Model 3, he could have emphasized that a great many buyers will likely add something like $20K in options, without actually naming his anticipated ASP.

Thankfully, the Model 3 unveiling is coming soon enough (in March), and if Tesla is smart, they'll be putting that $35K base price front and center. Even if that $35K stripper has to be a loss leader and they only ship it in very limited numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.