Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I like to always keep relative performance in mind. On July 17th the NASDAQ composite closed around 5200 and TSLA $274. Since then TSLA has handily outperformed the index by about 7 percentage points. If one assumes the relative performance would be the same had the NASDAQ stayed at 5200 we would be at $293 right now. Considering speculative stocks generally do worse than the index I think TSLA is doing quite well lately.

View attachment 95770

The relative strength of TSLA vs. the Nasdaq and the relative strength of Tesla vs. the sector are important. Another thing to consider, and a unique opportunity/timing for Tesla is fund managers/institutions that want diversification and to have exposure to many different sectors. Many have likely shied away from Tesla because of the potential risk of having your exposure to the automobile sector be in a start up manufacturer of a single product. With the exhaust issues hanging over German (and possibly other) automakers and the introduction of the Model X, many managers may reassess the difference in risk between TSLA and other auto companies and increase or initiate positions in TSLA.

The relative strength of TSLA vs. the Nasdaq and the relative strength of Tesla vs. the sector are important. Another thing to consider, and a unique opportunity/timing for Tesla is fund managers/institutions that want diversification and to have exposure to many different sectors. Many have likely shied away from Tesla because of the potential risk of having your exposure to the automobile sector be in a start up manufacturer of a single product. With the exhaust issues hanging over German (and possibly other) automakers and the introduction of the Model X, many managers may reassess the difference in risk between TSLA and other auto companies and increase or initiate positions in TSLA.

Yeah, TSLA relative strength has been good. Tesla needs to keep the ball rolling this week with MX reveal and Q3 delivery numbers. If the delivery numbers are better than guidance, TSLA should see a pop.

I made a quick comparison for YTD of TSLA against the main car manuf (VW, Toyota, Ford, GM, Daimler, BMW) and oil (WTI)

Interesting to see how TSLA seems less conected to oil, and also outlier compared to big auto.

Must specially hurt VW shareholders to see that VW was doing quite a bit better than the main Auto as recent as March.

2015_09_29_YTD_TSLA_Auto_WTI.png

Last edited:
First time I heard Elon Musk mention that Tesla Motors is going to start investigation on locations for both a car and a battery factory in Europe.
I guess there will be a similar race for these Tesla factories like we have seen with the GigaFactory in the States.
This will generate a lot of media attention throughout Europe.
And this will remind people of all the jobs Tesla Motors is generating during their global growth.
And again this will indicate that there is still strong demand for Tesla Motors vehicles around the globe.
Just like with opening the new factory in Tilburg last Friday Tesla Motors is able to deliver 4 times as many vehicles compared to the old factory during the next years.
This all bodes very well for the future.
(link)

Very interesting to see how similarly all the big car manufacturers' stocks have developed while Tesla clearly sticks out (even if one didn´t know which curve was which company, Tesla´s line would attract attention). Thanks for posting.

I made a quick comparison for YTD of TSLA against the main car manuf (VW, Toyota, Ford, GM, Daimler, BMW) and oil (WTI)

Interesting to see how TSLA seems less conected to oil, and also outlier compared to big auto.

Must specially hurt VW shareholders to see that VW was doing quite a bit better than the main Auto as recent as March.

View attachment 95774

That movie will teach you a TON about the dumbing-down of America we're going through right now. The only thing it got wrong was the time into the future. It won't take 500 years to get to that point. Heck, we're pretty close right now.

Love it! Sadly true! Movie is prescient in many ways.

Most stories it seems our rehash versions of previous stories however to my knowledge this one is actually an original storyline.

Guys, wondering if the market is not just underestimating the AP impact on tsla
If AP does come out as it starts to be "leaked" (meaning pretty good), that will probably have significant impact on tesla presence in the press and its reputation.

So, I am thinking of buying few calls on tsla but I am not very good at finding those. Do you guys have some you recommend?

Very brutal today and past Friday... I am hoping for a reversal tomorrow. Today is just bleeding red due to overall sentiment about the world market.

Biotechs (IBB) are finally selling off after months of overvaluation, in part because of the tipping point of the AIDS drug hedge fund guy that hiked the drug price 700%. The public has started realizing what's up and is not happy about it, and it is becoming a political campaign issue in the US, Canada and globally. The era of free and easy profit extraction by biotech conglomerates may be showing some cracks. Today and Friday were unwinding of that.

Anyone thinking about picking up weeklies here? Seems like we have continued to have these down days based on macro followed by a reversion the next day.

My general philosophy is that big irrational drops are buying opportunities. Weeklies are too random for me (not to mention pricey this week), but I did pick up an Oct 16 2015 when TSLA was at 247 and might pick up more if it continues dropping. I'm trying to be very cautious and remember the old trader's adage: the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent (or, it can remain irrational past the expiration date of your options).

Status
Not open for further replies.