Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla pulled a Subaru and be almost exclusively AWD (except for a BRZ/S85). Sweet.... now to market those Dogs.

I was just coming here to make this point. I think we are seeing a hint that Tesla is moving to make AWD part of their brand. I think the 85 is going to get the axe next, and we already know that Model X is coming in AWD only. This tells me that the D option has been hugely popular, to the point that they might as well build nothing but Ds to simplify their manufacturing process.

My 2012 S85 is looking more obsolete every day. And that's a good thing for Tesla and TSLA, even if it makes me a little sad personally.

I'm still so happy with my S60. This announcement doesn't change a thing about how I feel about my car, I enjoy the ride every day and have so for the last 2+ years. :smile:

I believe the incremental improvements Tesla is bringing to the Model S line-up are excellent. But as an owner, I will skip one or two of these upgrades and then take a big leap forward with the Model X. I do the same with iPhone, still on iPhone 5 and will wait at least for iPhone 6S to trade it in.

fwiw, the order page no longer has an "*" next to the 155 mph top speed, nor the paragraph at the bottom of the page explaining the asterisk as an impending improvement.

I've emailed someone at Consumer Reports re the improvement to 85D 0-60. I'd love to see them contact Tesla and find out how this was done, which I suggested they do. Even if a large chunk of this is the result of having low-balled the number in the past, and so not so stunning here on TMC, it's news to most people, and I think at some point quite soon will get covered in the media. I don't think this is a small thing at all, and coverage of this 0.8 improvement is likely to impact TSLA short term price.

I was just coming here to make this point. I think we are seeing a hint that Tesla is moving to make AWD part of their brand. I think the 85 is going to get the axe next, and we already know that Model X is coming in AWD only. This tells me that the D option has been hugely popular, to the point that they might as well build nothing but Ds to simplify their manufacturing process.

Tesla is raising the bar not only for EVs but for cars in general (lowest acceptable range on a base level car is +200 miles) but also moving towards AWD being the default configuration.

Everyone says it's hard to be the market leader and not have others catch up to you. Well this is how it's done. Not only by reckless growth but also by a recklessly high pace of improving the lineup.

They're going after the Audi customers now.

The pricing showing mid $50s certainly puts them in line with the 5 series, E class, and A5 (I may have Audi model wrong). Tesla may well get flack re showing price on order page net of rebate and gas savings, but they may have done this intentionally. Perhaps a bit of a jujitsu move... if the WSJ, MarketWatch, Business Insider, Cory Johnson at Bloomberg, etc start firing away FUD that Tesla is doing this, all it will do is get word out there all the more that you can get a 240 mile range AWD Model S for the effective price of the very popular 5 series, E class, etc.

Didn't they used to show pricing "after rebates and gas savings" in the past? Just doing it again, I guess.

on the leasing page, they showed a lower monthly rate for these and even $ savings for not having to waste time buying gas (the last of which even most bulls found pretty lame) and they got a good deal of criticism for this. that was quickly changed. I don't believe the most prominent display of the outright cost of the car on the order page has ever assumed gas and rebate savings before.

Anybody else think stocks like Apple have topped out (I don't need or want the watch) and that the hot money will flow into other Nasdaq 100 winners such as Tesla? That is my prediction. Everytime I check lately Apple is down and Tesla is up. That is a good sign.

EDIT: Just heard APPLE had a rare downgrade today. Many to follow imho.

Last edited:
Ditto:
Our S60 which in early 2013 was starting at $59k is looking like a bargain now. I paid $1500 for Smart sir (now $3000), $1500 for rear facing seats (now $3000) and tech package had a lot of the lighting etc standard.

I do wonder if the resale value of our 60s will take a hit or will they become true collector's items?

I'm still so happy with my S60. This announcement doesn't change a thing about how I feel about my car, I enjoy the ride every day and have so for the last 2+ years. :smile:

I believe the incremental improvements Tesla is bringing to the Model S line-up are excellent. But as an owner, I will skip one or two of these upgrades and then take a big leap forward with the Model X. I do the same with iPhone, still on iPhone 5 and will wait at least for iPhone 6S to trade it in.

This. This is the reason for digitizing the car. How much engineering is required to do this for ICE cars? Drop configurations if it's not selling. Upping specs to up sell @ higher margins while satisfying the market.

Manufacturers would be blind to not pick up what TM is putting down.

Going from 60 to 85 used to cost $10K. That's $400/kwh.

At that rate, going to 70D should cost $4K. But you get AWD and some tech features for $1K. Its a nice deal.

Going from 70D to 85D is 10K. That's $666/kwh. What you get is a bit more range and about 1 sec quicker 0-60. Not bad for those wanting a faster car.

Status
Not open for further replies.