Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My questions for the Feb 10 earnings:
  • Is it possible that the X ramp challenge is affecting Model S production rate/efficiency? I think 16-17K deliveries for Q1 is a bit high; there was the huge US push last month to meet their end of year goal. Is it likely Tesla has sufficient global Model S backorders and that they're taking care of those early in Q1?
  • At the X delivery rate we're on now, I would be surprised if over 2,000 X's were delivered in Q1. How do you all think Wall St will react if on Feb 10 Tesla can't clearly say they're producing 300-400 X's/week in the quarter? If the X continues to drizzle out into Q2, I wouldn't think analysts will be very impressed. I think this is very important. Hmm.

• Is it possible that the X ramp challenge is affecting Model S production rate/efficiency? I think 16-17K deliveries for Q1 is a bit high; there was the huge US push last month to meet their end of year goal. Is it likely Tesla has sufficient global Model S backorders and that they're taking care of those early in Q1?
  • At the X delivery rate we're on now, I would be surprised if over 2,000 X's were delivered in Q1. How do you all think Wall St will react if on Feb 10 Tesla can't clearly say they're producing 300-400 X's/week in the quarter? If the X continues to drizzle out into Q2, I wouldn't think analysts will be very impressed. I think this is very important. Hmm.
Tesla will fill up the MS pipeline in q1. So in terms of delivery, I see around 11-12k MS and 2-3k MX. The company may produce 15-16k cars.

Taking care of the global Model S backorder in early Q1 is not going to be possible on the delivery side - they pushed out everything from the channel in Q4, even stuff produced at the end of Q3 and probably did as many California production/delivery in late Q4 as they could. However, it would make sense for them to start production of overseas Model S orders in early Q1 so they could still be delivered within the quarter, but that would also decrease early Q1 US deliveries. In short, deliveries may have been fairly low in January overall, but that may be OK.

I think Tesla has now proven, that if they say they can increase deliveries by close to 50% Q on Q (Q3 to Q4), they will actually make it happen. So even if they announce e.g. 80k deliveries for 2016, but not quite evenly split (Q1 being low), they may get away with it. It will be more important to come up with a realistic 2016 delivery target they will not need to revise (down) halfway through the year.
--
So specifically about X, I understand why some worry as Tesla seems to slow down from time to time to do thorough quality checks and fine tune the assembly process, but I think that`s exactly what Elon meant by exponential production curve. They started by producing 6-20 cars for Founders, took their sweet time making them for weeks, then applied the learnings and cranked it up to 240 per week exiting 2015. Now they spent some time dealing with the initial list of quality issues after that jump (think all those Xes at Service Centers) and will apply the learnings before they crank it up to, say, 400. By the end of the quarter we should hit 800/week like that, which is the target I think.

He just needs to clearly explain the plan in the ER or the call and maybe support it by a few tweets along the quarter as they hit those milestones.

Last edited:
Regarding FCF, is it possible that Tesla has already taken payment for a large number of Powerwalls from distributors? So even if we only have a small number of actual deliveries in Q1, the sale is between Tesla and a distributor so would appear on the balance sheet. Since storage prodcuts already started being assembled in Q4 at the GF, a lot of these could appear as revenue but without any COGS.

Agree. Even X in early production has lower GM, their much higher ASP will make the gross profit better on the X than S this quarter (and probably more so for the rest of the year, I anticipate most X delivered this year are 90D with lots of options). Cutting CapEx on GF is not enough for FCF Q1 2016, they must deliver significant amount of X, my estimate is at least 4k, with more than 11k S

What's to say Tesla can't get to FCF+ in Q1 from just delivering a significant amount of Model S like last quarter, and sprinkle in some high ASP X's?

Deepak said on the Q3 call that much of the CapEx required for Tesla Energy will be put in place by the end of 2015 for their needs next year. [28:52 - search 'q3 tesla' on YouTube]

Deepak also said the majority of CapEx for 2016 will be Model 3 and Gigafactory. Don't those two get a little more serious towards year end? The heavy costs of X tooling/sign off/etc were taken care of last year.

So specifically about X, I understand why some worry as Tesla seems to slow down from time to time to do thorough quality checks and fine tune the assembly process, but I think that`s exactly what Elon meant by exponential production curve. They started by producing 6-20 cars for Founders, took their sweet time making them for weeks, then applied the learnings and cranked it up to 240 per week exiting 2015. Now they spent some time dealing with the initial list of quality issues after that jump (think all those Xes at Service Centers) and will apply the learnings before they crank it up to, say, 400. By the end of the quarter we should hit 800/week like that, which is the target I think.

He just needs to clearly explain the plan in the ER or the call and maybe support it by a few tweets along the quarter as they hit those milestones.

You're making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :rolleyes:

800/week, or even close to it and I say we're off to the races in short order.

Last edited:
Let's say it cost 50k for Tesla to build a car
50k will go on their finished goods inventory on the balance sheet
When this car is sold, lets say in q1 2016 the 50k will be moved off of the balance sheet on into COGS expense on the income statement
Revenue will be reported at selling price.

Just FYI, we were discussing Cash Flows, not Revenues.

For cash flows it matters when cash is actually received or paid. This is is really important as it relates to whether the bank balance is going up or down and whether or not external money is necessary to maintain a healthy bank balance while accomplishing goals that require cash to be spent. FCF (Free Cash Flow) from Operations is particularly interesting. What that means is that cash is being generated from sales net of overheads i.e. the business is growing without reliance on external funds.

For Revenues as you allude to, the same money can be labelled with all sorts of different accounting classifications only one of which is Revenues. The timings of revenues need not match up with the actual cash and can be incredibly arbitrary and counter-intuitive - hence the need for non-GAAP revenue recognition in the case of Tesla to make any sense of the business at all.

According to GAAP, as at Q3 Tesla had a $1.36 billion operating lease fleet that Tesla is waiting to be paid for over rolling lease periods of three years. In cash terms and contractually, both the lease fleet and the lease payments are imaginary. The customers own full title to their cars and 100% of the cash is already in Tesla's bank at the point of transferring that title. Neither the lease fleet nor the lease payments exist outside of the world of GAAP revenue Recognition.

Hence the value in looking at cash flows and therefore non-GAAP revenues (and non-GAAP EPS) which more accurately reflect the actual transactions of the business. This by the way is why Musk has talked about it taking until 2020 to show a GAAP profit. Under the current GAAP rules, so long as Tesla keeps issuing Residual Value Guarantees on exponentially increasing YOY sales at a greater rate than old RVGs expire GAAP may never show a net profit regardless of the business doing ridiculously well both in non-GAAP profits and in terms of Free Cash Flow from Operations - because each new RVG is recognized by GAAP as a Liability and each car sold with an RVG is misrepresented as a lease vehicle in some imaginary Operating Lease Fleet that Tesla has yet to receive any lease payments towards. It is not because the business will be unprofitable until 2020, it is because arbitrary profit deductions under GAAP will take a serious amount of profit to overwhelm those deductions.

This is yet another giant bear trap because confirmation bias of the bears cannot seem to penetrate this detail, they just get thrown a loop by negative GAAP headlines and confuse the matter with losing cash. For the rational Long this is information advantage 101.

To add to what Julian said, this accounting phenomenon that results from the RVG (residual value guarantee) is the theoretical downside of having such a guarantee, but it's mostly a purely theoretical accounting issue, not a real life issue/problem/liability. On the other hand the RVG does create peace of mind in future buyers and I hope they continue with it with Model 3.

In my mind the only situation where the RVGs given would be an actual issue for Tesla is if severe issues with the cars sold turn up, that makes everyone want to sell their cars so that the second hand market is flooded with cars that no-one wants. Well, guess what - in such a situation the RVG is going to be the least of Tesla's problems anyway.

What's to say Tesla can't get to FCF+ in Q1 from just delivering a significant amount of Model S like last quarter, and sprinkle in some high ASP X's?

Deepak said on the Q3 call that much of the CapEx required for Tesla Energy will be put in place by the end of 2015 for their needs next year. [28:52 - search 'q3 tesla' on YouTube]

Deepak also said the majority of CapEx for 2016 will be Model 3 and Gigafactory. Don't those two get a little more serious towards year end? The heavy costs of X tooling/sign off/etc were taken care of last year.

Looking at Q4 cash flows (as distinct from Revenues).

In the plus column:

An approximately 50% Quarter on Quarter uplift in Model S sales vs Q3.
Net pull-in Model S sales from Q3
Possible sales of excess China inventory
Lots of Loaner & CPO sales
Very few Model X subject to a $40K cash deposit paid years ago and not in Q4 2015.

In the minus column:

Final quarter of one-off exceptional cash outlay for Model X production equipment.
An unknown quantity of Model X signature cancellations requiring the refund of $40K per head in cash.
Final quarter of mass hiring of Model X and Tesla Energy staff with no meaningful Q4 sales of Model X or Tesla Energy to offset that cash outlay

Note: High ASP Model X signature series is probably good for Revenues and Gross Margins but it is not excellent for cash flows because $40K out of the $132-$144K is not received in cash at the point of sale, it is just reclassified from the liability column in the reservation deposit ledger to the sales revenue column and in some instances (cancellations) that $40K is actually paid back to the reservation holder assuming it is not simply transferred to the purchase of a Model S instead.

Looking at Q1 cash flows (as distinct from Revenues).

In the plus column:

Model S sales.
High ASP production Model X (not so much the sig series - interesting then to note that production and sig deliveries seem to be going in parallel).
Tesla Energy. This I think is a real doozie, not very interesting for profits on revenues but in terms of cash flows. I am reasonably confident that Tesla Energy is an outlet for excess "85KWh type" cell inventory reduction.
Comparatively speaking: The LACK of an exceptional cash outlay for Model X production equipment.

In the minus column:

Nothing out of the ordinary for the first time in two years.

This is what Q1 is about IMO.

Note. The Super-big curve ball for the shorts regards FCF from Operations is that the bears cannot seem to get their heads around the idea that hiring staff to produce Model X and to sell Tesla Energy products (in advance of those things going on sale) costs the business in terms of cash from operations. As far as Tesla is concerned they have invested in a work force to capitalize on massive, registered, customer demand for Model X and Tesla Energy. As far as the bears are concerned, Tesla has been losing cash from operations while selling Model S and is therefore unable to make any money doing whatever it is that it does / living off borrowings / the sale of stock / government largess. The bears could not possibly be more abjectly wrong.

Last edited:
Just FYI, we were discussing Cash Flows, not Revenues.

For cash flows it matters when cash is actually received or paid. This is is really important as it relates to whether the bank balance is going up or down and whether or not external money is necessary to maintain a healthy bank balance while accomplishing goals that require cash to be spent. FCF (Free Cash Flow) from Operations is particularly interesting. What that means is that cash is being generated from sales net of overheads i.e. the business is growing without reliance on external funds.

For Revenues as you allude to, the same money can be labelled with all sorts of different accounting classifications only one of which is Revenues. The timings of revenues need not match up with the actual cash and can be incredibly arbitrary and counter-intuitive - hence the need for non-GAAP revenue recognition in the case of Tesla to make any sense of the business at all.

According to GAAP, as at Q3 Tesla had a $1.36 billion operating lease fleet that Tesla is waiting to be paid for over rolling lease periods of three years. In cash terms and contractually, both the lease fleet and the lease payments are imaginary. The customers own full title to their cars and 100% of the cash is already in Tesla's bank at the point of transferring that title. Neither the lease fleet nor the lease payments exist outside of the world of GAAP revenue Recognition.

Hence the value in looking at cash flows and therefore non-GAAP revenues (and non-GAAP EPS) which more accurately reflect the actual transactions of the business. This by the way is why Musk has talked about it taking until 2020 to show a GAAP profit. Under the current GAAP rules, so long as Tesla keeps issuing Residual Value Guarantees on exponentially increasing YOY sales at a greater rate than old RVGs expire GAAP may never show a net profit regardless of the business doing ridiculously well both in non-GAAP profits and in terms of Free Cash Flow from Operations - because each new RVG is recognized by GAAP as a Liability and each car sold with an RVG is misrepresented as a lease vehicle in some imaginary Operating Lease Fleet that Tesla has yet to receive any lease payments towards. It is not because the business will be unprofitable until 2020, it is because arbitrary profit deductions under GAAP will take a serious amount of profit to overwhelm those deductions.

This is yet another giant bear trap because confirmation bias of the bears cannot seem to penetrate this detail, they just get thrown a loop by negative GAAP headlines and confuse the matter with losing cash. For the rational Long this is information advantage 101.
I like this post Julian. You seem to know a lot about the accounting that Tesla does to handle their leases. Out of curiosity I'm wondering if you can break down for all of us the way Tesla treats a lease on their books-from start to finish. Also, how this affects the quarterly income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flows . This to me is a graduate level accounting problem I would like to see you present.

I think there is a distinct possibility that 2016 Q1 deliveries will be fewer than 2015 Q4 deliveries. Here are the factors
- One less production week
- By all indications X ramp quite soft (or is it completely stalled at this point?)
- Major chunk of S pipeline already dumped out (which needs to be refilled, even if slowly)
- Inventories, Loaners etc dumped out (which also need to be refilled)

What are your thoughts on this?

If indeed Q1 deliveries come in at 17K or fewer, what would it mean for FCF goal?

I think there is a distinct possibility that 2016 Q1 deliveries will be fewer than 2015 Q4 deliveries. Here are the factors
- By all indications X ramp quite soft (or is it completely stalled at this point?)
- Major chunk of S pipeline already dumped out (which needs to be refilled, even if slowly)

If indeed Q1 deliveries come in at 17K or fewer, what would it mean for FCF goal?
Not as sure on FCF, but wouldn't be surprised by slightly < 17,000. I think the baseline for 2016 is 50% more than 2015, or about 76,000 and I think the way top end is 1,800/week x 50 weeks (2 1-week breaks) or 90,000. I think the likely number, and perhaps internal goal, would be just slightly > 80,000. So quarters that looked like 17, 19, 21, 23 would be a possible run. BTW, nice little run to start the day, let's hope yesterday began the run to earnings announcement and a small squeeze.

Positive FCF for q1 was an "aspiration, not a promise" according to last ER. So I don't think it will happen now given the slow ramp of X. I assume it is dependent on volumes of X. They still got two more months to go, though.

Also, I don't think it is that important that they reach it in Q1. Much more important is high production of X at the end of Q1 and that Model 3 is revealed with lots of reservations.

I like this post Julian. You seem to know a lot about the accounting that Tesla does to handle their leases. Out of curiosity I'm wondering if you can break down for all of us the way Tesla treats a lease on their books-from start to finish. Also, how this affects the quarterly income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flows . This to me is a graduate level accounting problem I would like to see you present.

Sure. I have seen former CPAs grapple with this. I am not a CPA and have no desire to become one but here is my understanding as an investor. I'll do this in outline because nobody is paying me to write a dissertation.

The GAAP treatment of a Model S sale with a RVG (as I understand it to be).

Background: Tesla transfers full title of a vehicle to a customer. Customer arranges full cash to be received by Tesla. Tesla promises a conditional repurchase of nominally 50% of the purchase price between 36-39 months thereafter if the customer, without obligation, wants to sell it, and if the customer wants to sell it to Tesla and not to a third party. At the end of 39 months, the offer to repurchase expires worthless. Tesla retains no right or title to the vehicle at any time including no right to demand that the vehicle be returned to Tesla.

GAAP places an overwhelming priority on the Residual Value Guarantee and treats 50% of the sale as a 36 month lease and 50% of the sale as never having occurred because there remains an ambiguity whether the customer will keep the car or exercise the right to give it back. Tesla's Non-GAAP far more sensibly deals with this as a Sale in the quarter it occurs, then if a customer does want to sell the car to Tesla three years later it just accounts for it as a purchase of a car like purchasing any other CPO - and just accounts for that in the quarter it actually occurs too.

In fact GAAP misrepresents the sale as though it was literally like a real lease (the exact opposite of the Tesla RVG sale). With a real lease, the vendor owns the asset, the customer rents it for a fixed term and is liable for successive lease payments as time passes and not before - and at the end of the term the customer has an option to buy the asset. Obviously in a real car lease it would be nonsense to try to claim revenue for a month that hasn't passed yet or to assume the customer will exercise the option to buy the asset at the end of the lease. With the Tesla RVG sale, the customer owns the asset outright, there is no lease paperwork between the customer and Tesla and at the end of the 'lease' the customer already owns the asset. The only ambiguity is whether he will sell it.

Whenever a car is sold with an RVG and because the customer has paid 100%, Tesla sets up a GAAP lease account for 50% which is then recognized on a straight line basis, metered out over 36 months as the customer enjoys access to the car month by month. As for the RVG (of nominally 50% of the original purchase price). Tesla sets up a liability to the customer for the other 50% as though the customer had simply lent Tesla the money for something he as not yet fully agreed to buy.

At 36 months, the straight line revenue recognition eventually adds up to 50% of the purchase price and then the question comes (under GAAP) of whether or not the *customer* will buy the other 50%, completely reversing the sense of the actual transaction in prospect. If the customer does not decide to sell the car to Tesla then GAAP assumes the customer just bought the 50%. The 50% RVG liability is extinguished and recognized as sales revenue. On the other hand if the customer decides to sell the car to Tesla then the 50% liability is extinguished in cash to the customer (with first creditor being his account at his lending institution) and the Operating Lease asset representing the car is transferred to Inventory.

While all of this is going on, at the point of "sale", 100% of the car is effectively bought by Tesla at full retail price (according to GAAP) and not the customer i.e. no wonder it's hard to make a GAAP profit. These phantom purchases end up on the Operating Lease ledger in the Asset column. This is despite the fact that Tesla does not legally own any of these assets, 1.36 $billion of them at last count, the customers legally own these. As for COGS. 50% of the COGS is metered out in a straight line over 36 months alongside the phantom lease payments. The other 50% of COGS relates to the RVG half of the car which according to GAAP Tesla never sold. This is why GAAP Gross Margins are approximately the same as non-GAAP. The big difference is that GAAP pretends that Tesla bought the car at full retail to place in a lease fleet, instead of the customer buying the car (which actually happens, as customers will attest). The fractional difference in GM between non-GAAP and GAAP relates to the treatment of the warranty reserve which is fully recognized for the full sale under non-GAAP and only relates to half the sale under GAAP and that metered out over 36 months.

"how [does] this affect[] the quarterly income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flows"

Depending on you frame of reference. From a non-GAAP / management accounts frame of reference (the view from the business and the logical Investor's perspective)

A. GAAP treatement of RVGs trashes the quarterly income statement by pretending Tesla is buying its own cars for a lease fleet instead of selling them to customers, which except for a relatively trivial quantity of real leases it isn't doing.
B. GAAP strongly misrepresents the balance sheet by pretending that Tesla has a huge chunk of Operating Lease Vehicles in the Assets column that it absolutely does not own.
C. It has no effect on the statement of cash flows.

From a blind acceptance of GAAP frame of reference (bearish Tesla non-GAAP equals bogus overstatement of performance, Enron blah blah etc):

A. GAAP strongly and misleadingly understates quarterly revenue and profits i.e. the performance of the business luring shorts and competitors to systematic underestimation of the health of the Tesla business.
B. GAAP overestimates Assets relating to non-existent Operating Lease Vehicles which is prone to be conflated with rising inventories, a bearish red flag in the traditional automotive industry sector.
C. It has no effect on cash flows, excepting widespread layman's confusion that GAAP profits and positive cash flows are one and the same thing.

Footnote for the sake of completeness. Tesla's non-GAAP reverses out non-cash stock compensation. This is relatively standard practice for non-GAAP accounts and I personally believe it is appropriate because as a shareholder I have already paid for non-cash stock compensation in the dilution of the shares I hold. I don't hold a diluted position in a company that has also been impaired by an equal amount. It's one or the other. GAAP lease accounting for RVGs is the major concern for the integrity of GAAP in the case of Tesla. This is the thing that can lead people to imagine that Tesla loses more money the more it sells which at 25% GM is obvious nonsense - but in terms of GAAP revenues, it is equally obviously true that the more Tesla sells but is obliged to account for as buying a lease fleet rather than selling cars, then of course on face value GAAP revenues and profits will fall the more it sells.

Last edited:
Can anyone here actually tell me how to calculate free cash flow? It seems like you would take the GAAP loss before taxes and add D&A to that and then add/subtract the change in working capital and then subtract capital expenditures. So for Q3 I get $679 million in positive FCF which you would obviously then subtract the $750 million equity raise to get an effective -$70 million FCF. It seems like change in working capital is not directly reported and I actually have to calculate that from the 2 balance sheets. Now ZEV credits were $39 million so you basically have to say that for Q3 2015 there was a negative FCF of $110 million. Now, it is interesting that people are talking about reduced CapEx helping us reach positive FCF territory when that is completely removed from the equation but R&D is not so reduced R&D would help

Now an experiment for Q4. Lets assume all other costs are equal and we get 25% gross margin on 5,000 extra cars at $100k ASP. I know there were more cars but keeping the numbers simple that adds $125 million into the equation. But then assume increasing SG&A and R&D similar to the Q2-Q3 increase of about $40 million and we get a negative FCF which leaves us with $25 million negative FCF.

So I'm curious if I'm totally off base, because to be honest a totally 'unexpected' sale of ZEV credits for Q4 could push Tesla into positive FCF territory for Q4. Unless I am missing something which I would love to be enlightened on. Now for Q1 2016 I assume they were hoping for something like 20,000 cars and I really don't see it happening at this point so in my mind that is totally out the window. Of course that would be another reason to use the ZEV credits now. I mean, if everyone is looking for 'FCF positive' why not pull it out when you can. Everyone could get excited about Tesla being FCF positive in Q4 and then willing to overlook negative FCF in Q1. Again, folks, I am an amateur here so please enlighten me if I am missing something. Also I have no idea what goes into R&D and how much it could really decline - I am assuming engineer salaries go into that if they are primarily working on new models.

To add to what Julian said, this accounting phenomenon that results from the RVG (residual value guarantee) is the theoretical downside of having such a guarantee, but it's mostly a purely theoretical accounting issue, not a real life issue/problem/liability. On the other hand the RVG does create peace of mind in future buyers and I hope they continue with it with Model 3.

In my mind the only situation where the RVGs given would be an actual issue for Tesla is if severe issues with the cars sold turn up, that makes everyone want to sell their cars so that the second hand market is flooded with cars that no-one wants. Well, guess what - in such a situation the RVG is going to be the least of Tesla's problems anyway.

Oh please no. The RVG experience with the model S/X should have been, in hindsight, just helping the financiers over their reservations about value. By 2017/2018 TM reputation can stand on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.