Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a distinct possibility that 2016 Q1 deliveries will be fewer than 2015 Q4 deliveries. Here are the factors
- One less production week
- By all indications X ramp quite soft (or is it completely stalled at this point?)
- Major chunk of S pipeline already dumped out (which needs to be refilled, even if slowly)
- Inventories, Loaners etc dumped out (which also need to be refilled)

What are your thoughts on this?

If indeed Q1 deliveries come in at 17K or fewer, what would it mean for FCF goal?

I think everyone seems to have forgotten what production constrained meant. Tesla only produced 14-15k in Q4. Combined with refilling of the pipeline (especially to europe/asia), we're really looking at only 12-13k deliveries of model S in Q1 + whatever model X deliveries.

Since Tesla only recognizes revenue from delivered vehicles, yet reports the costs from all that was produced, Q1 FCF will NOT happen. But that's not as bad of a thing as people fear it to be. I think if Musk explains this out in the conference call, it might temper the "see Tesla lied again about being Q1 FCF positive" reaction.

Sure. I have seen former CPAs grapple with this. I am not a CPA and have no desire to become one but here is my understanding as an investor. I'll do this in outline because nobody is paying me to write a dissertation.

The GAAP treatment of a Model S sale with a RVG (as I understand it to be).

Background: Tesla transfers full title of a vehicle to a customer. Customer arranges full cash to be received by Tesla. Tesla promises a conditional repurchase of nominally 50% of the purchase price between 36-39 months thereafter if the customer, without obligation, wants to sell it, and if the customer wants to sell it to Tesla and not to a third party. At the end of 39 months, the offer to repurchase expires worthless. Tesla retains no right or title to the vehicle at any time including no right to demand that the vehicle be returned to Tesla.

GAAP places an overwhelming priority on the Residual Value Guarantee and treats 50% of the sale as a 36 month lease and 50% of the sale as never having occurred.

Because the customer has paid 100% Tesla sets up a GAAP lease account for 50% which is then recognized on a straight line bases over 36 months. As for the RVG (of nominally 50% of the original purchase price). Tesla sets up a liability to the customer for the other 50% as though the customer had lent Tesla the money for something he as not yet fully agreed to buy.

At 36 months, the straight line revenue recognition eventually adds up to 50% of the purchase price and then the question comes (under GAAP) of whether or not the *customer* will buy the other 50%, completely reversing the sense of the actual transaction in prospect. If the customer does not decide to sell the car to Tesla then GAAP assumes the customer just bought the 50%. The 50% RVG liability is extinguished and recognized as sales revenue. On the other hand if the customer decides to sell the car to Tesla then the 50% liability is extinguished in cash to the customer (with first creditor being his account at his lending institution) and the Operating Lease asset representing the car is transferred to Inventory.

While all of this is going on, at the point of "sale", 100% of the car is effectively bought by Tesla at full retail price (according to GAAP) and not the customer i.e. no wonder it's hard to make a GAAP profit. These phantom purchases end up on the Operating Lease ledger in the Asset column. This is despite the fact that Tesla does not legally own any of these assets, 1.36 $billion of them at last count, the customers legally own these. As for COGS. 50% of the COGS is metered out in a straight line over 36 months alongside the phantom lease payments. The other 50% of COGS relates to the RVG half of the car which according to GAAP Tesla never sold. This is why GAAP Gross Margins are approximately the same as non-GAAP. The big difference is that GAAP pretends that Tesla bought the car at full retail to place in a lease fleet, instead of the customer buying the car (which actually happens, as customers will attest). The fractional difference in GM between non-GAAP and GAAP relates to the treatment of the warranty reserve which is fully recognized for the full sale under non-GAAP and only relates to half the sale under GAAP and that metered out over 36 months.

"how [does] this affect[] the quarterly income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flows"

Depending on you frame of reference. From a non-GAAP / management accounts frame of reference (the view from the business and the logical Investor's perspective)

A. GAAP treatement of RVGs trashes the quarterly income statement by pretending Tesla is buying its own cars for a lease fleet instead of selling them to customers, which except for a relatively trivial quantity of real leases it isn't doing.
B. GAAP strongly misrepresents the balance sheet by pretending that Tesla has a huge chunk of Operating Lease Vehicles in the Assets column that it absolutely does not own.
C. It has no effect on the statement of cash flows.

From a blind acceptance of GAAP frame of reference (bearish Tesla non-GAAP equals bogus overstatement of performance, Enron blah blah etc):

A. GAAP strongly and misleadingly understates quarterly revenue and profits i.e. the performance of the business luring shorts and competitors to systematic underestimation of the health of the Tesla business.
B. GAAP overestimates Assets relating to non-existent Operating Lease Vehicles which is prone to be conflated with rising inventories, a bearish red flag in the traditional automotive industry sector.
C. It has no effect on cash flows, excepting widespread layman's confusion that GAAP profits and positive cash flows are one and the same thing.

Footnote for the sake of completeness. Tesla's non-GAAP reverses out non-cash stock compensation. This is relatively standard practice for non-GAAP accounts and I personally believe it is appropriate because as a shareholder I have already paid for non-cash stock compensation in the dilution of the shares I hold. I don't hold a diluted position in a company that has also been impaired by an equal amount. It's one or the other. GAAP lease accounting for RVGs is the major concern for the integrity of GAAP in the case of Tesla. This is the thing that can lead people to imagine that Tesla loses more money the more it sells which at 25% GM is obvious nonsense - but in terms of GAAP revenues, it is equally obviously true that the more Tesla sells but is obliged to account for as buying a lease fleet rather than selling cars, then of course on face value GAAP revenues and profits will fall the more it sells.

Excellent and thorough post Julian- I agree with your points and believe them to be accurate from my experience. I have heard many shorts scream about rising inventory on the balance sheet. They are not understanding that these represent leased assets.

Excellent and thorough post Julian- I agree with your points and believe them to be accurate from my experience. I have heard many shorts scream about rising inventory on the balance sheet. They are not understanding that these represent leased assets.

I second this. The inventory measurement is incorrect because of the leased assets, but time and time again the word "inventory" is mentioned as if Tesla were a traditional car maker with tons of cars parked on lots around the world. Auto analysts keep scouting for the "inventory" and "sales", even though Tesla doesn't report a sale until the cars are in their buyers' garages. Most actual inventory are CPO's and demo models that are used by the stores for test-drives. Many of these, by the way, end up in the hands of buyers who do not want a brand new built car and would rather have the discount in price.

Can anyone here actually tell me how to calculate free cash flow? It seems like you would take the GAAP loss before taxes and add D&A to that and then add/subtract the change in working capital and then subtract capital expenditures. So for Q3 I get $679 million in positive FCF which you would obviously then subtract the $750 million equity raise to get an effective -$70 million FCF. It seems like change in working capital is not directly reported and I actually have to calculate that from the 2 balance sheets. Now ZEV credits were $39 million so you basically have to say that for Q3 2015 there was a negative FCF of $110 million. Now, it is interesting that people are talking about reduced CapEx helping us reach positive FCF territory when that is completely removed from the equation but R&D is not so reduced R&D would help

Now an experiment for Q4. Lets assume all other costs are equal and we get 25% gross margin on 5,000 extra cars at $100k ASP. I know there were more cars but keeping the numbers simple that adds $125 million into the equation. But then assume increasing SG&A and R&D similar to the Q2-Q3 increase of about $40 million and we get a negative FCF which leaves us with $25 million negative FCF.

So I'm curious if I'm totally off base, because to be honest a totally 'unexpected' sale of ZEV credits for Q4 could push Tesla into positive FCF territory for Q4. Unless I am missing something which I would love to be enlightened on. Now for Q1 2016 I assume they were hoping for something like 20,000 cars and I really don't see it happening at this point so in my mind that is totally out the window. Of course that would be another reason to use the ZEV credits now. I mean, if everyone is looking for 'FCF positive' why not pull it out when you can. Everyone could get excited about Tesla being FCF positive in Q4 and then willing to overlook negative FCF in Q1. Again, folks, I am an amateur here so please enlighten me if I am missing something. Also I have no idea what goes into R&D and how much it could really decline - I am assuming engineer salaries go into that if they are primarily working on new models.

OK, I really want someone to explain this to me know. I found one site that says that Q3 FCF is ($595 million) which is way off from what I got and then another one saying reduced CapEx will help Tesla reach that goal when CapEx is the first thing removed by every definition I have found. So basically, either I am missing something huge, or the Internet is full of investors who have no idea what FCF is and I have to assume the vast majority of posters here have no idea what it is either.

Oh please no. The RVG experience with the model S/X should have been, in hindsight, just helping the financiers over their reservations about value. By 2017/2018 TM reputation can stand on its own.

This is exactly correct and the main point of the exercise with a side benefit of reassuring customers.

The GAAP view of RVG is an accounting freeze-frame that only has relevance if Tesla actually went bust i.e. it has no relevance to investors other than the nagging misrepresentation of GAAP headline figures in the media as though accrual accounting of GAAP profits were some authorative picture related to making or losing cash which as any (honest) accountant will attest is nothing to do with cash accounting or cash flows at all.

Can anyone here actually tell me how to calculate free cash flow? It seems like you would take the GAAP loss before taxes and add D&A to that and then add/subtract the change in working capital and then subtract capital expenditures. So for Q3 I get $679 million in positive FCF which you would obviously then subtract the $750 million equity raise to get an effective -$70 million FCF. It seems like change in working capital is not directly reported and I actually have to calculate that from the 2 balance sheets. Now ZEV credits were $39 million so you basically have to say that for Q3 2015 there was a negative FCF of $110 million. Now, it is interesting that people are talking about reduced CapEx helping us reach positive FCF territory when that is completely removed from the equation but R&D is not so reduced R&D would help

Now an experiment for Q4. Lets assume all other costs are equal and we get 25% gross margin on 5,000 extra cars at $100k ASP. I know there were more cars but keeping the numbers simple that adds $125 million into the equation. But then assume increasing SG&A and R&D similar to the Q2-Q3 increase of about $40 million and we get a negative FCF which leaves us with $25 million negative FCF.

So I'm curious if I'm totally off base, because to be honest a totally 'unexpected' sale of ZEV credits for Q4 could push Tesla into positive FCF territory for Q4. Unless I am missing something which I would love to be enlightened on. Now for Q1 2016 I assume they were hoping for something like 20,000 cars and I really don't see it happening at this point so in my mind that is totally out the window. Of course that would be another reason to use the ZEV credits now. I mean, if everyone is looking for 'FCF positive' why not pull it out when you can. Everyone could get excited about Tesla being FCF positive in Q4 and then willing to overlook negative FCF in Q1. Again, folks, I am an amateur here so please enlighten me if I am missing something. Also I have no idea what goes into R&D and how much it could really decline - I am assuming engineer salaries go into that if they are primarily working on new models.

Heres a new article on FCF:
Will Tesla Motors, Inc. Become Free Cash Flow Positive in 2016? -- The Motley Fool

reinforces my point that FCF comes down to CapEx.

Thank you - but for the avoidance of all doubt: "leased assets" that don't exist because there is no lease in an RVG sale. The customer owns the car with a lien to the bank, as far as the Customer and Tesla is concerned the car is bought and sold with the paperwork to prove it in front of any judge and jury in the world, end of.

I think there is a distinct possibility that 2016 Q1 deliveries will be fewer than 2015 Q4 deliveries. Here are the factors
- By all indications X ramp quite soft (or is it completely stalled at this point?)
- Major chunk of S pipeline already dumped out (which needs to be refilled, even if slowly)

If indeed Q1 deliveries come in at 17K or fewer, what would it mean for FCF goal?

Minor nitpick: One should probably calculate two weeks, not one, less production, since the cars made in the second to last week of 2015 probably did not get delivered before New Year and I believe the factory closed one week before and one week after New Year? Or maybe I'm just confused.

Count on it being lower than Q4, probably way lower. Then a week later comes estimate for all of Q1 and that will likely be a major disappointment. I don't share the optimism of those thinking ER will be a positive catalyst, but rather something to survive. fwiw re: the X situation I think we can now see why a former loyalist like Jerome Giullen took his "leave" in July and then didn't come back.

Will Tesla Motors, Inc. Become Free Cash Flow Positive in 2016? -- The Motley Fool

OK on the 10th time reading the definition I now understand that if you were working with positive numbers you would subtract CapEx. Since Tesla cash flow is negative I was subtracting it from the negative number as it it were a positive number. In any event sometimes making myself look like a fool is the easiest way to understand something.

Naturally FCF comes down to CapEx (or the absence of it) in any given quarter when CapEx is huge.

The other piece that is more elusive in the case of perceptions of Tesla is Massive Hiring in advance of Production. This hits Tesla in the SG&A and in turn that hits Tesla in FCF from Operations.

The latter is the real deal that matters to the markets IMO.

CapEx is a straight swap of Cash for Assets. It is neutral in terms of profitability prior to depreciation and if they bought something well (like $6 million for a $50 million stamping machine) then you'd have to be a dunce to imagine that this is a bad thing for the outlook of the business.

If Tesla is FCF negative *from Operations* however, that's really really bad - at least on first impressions, and definitely if it was an ongoing feature of the business. What this means at a glance is that the company is losing cash in the course of doing the stuff that is supposed to make money to pay the bills. Where it is important to be smarter than the bears about this, is to appreciate that hiring a vast number of people to make Model X when there is a $4 billion backlog of Model X cars to make is going to produce a period of FCF negative from Operations during hiring and training (because you need to hire people in advance of making stuff and shipping the stuff to customers, not the other way round), hence investing in a workforce to do that job is a really bullish signal, and not a really bearish one. You know, the opposite of downsizing. Information advantage 1.02.

Count on it being lower than Q4, probably way lower. Then a week later comes estimate for all of Q1 and that will likely be a major disappointment. I don't share the optimism of those thinking ER will be a positive catalyst, but rather something to survive. fwiw re: the X situation I think we can now see why a former loyalist like Jerome Giullen took his "leave" in July and then didn't come back.

I'm kind of with you on surviving the ER. To me the X delivery numbers will be key, if they have delivered >800 Model X by Feb 10th then we are probably OK as it shows that production is ramping, albeit not as fast as hoped.

Naturally FCF comes down to CapEx (or the absence of it) in any given quarter when CapEx is huge.

The other piece that is more elusive in the case of perceptions of Tesla is Massive Hiring in advance of Production. This hits Tesla in the SG&A and in turn that hits Tesla in FCF from Operations.

The latter is the real deal that matters to the markets IMO.

CapEx is a straight swap of Cash for Assets. It is neutral in terms of profitability prior to depreciation and if they bought something well (like $6 million for a $50 million stamping machine) then you'd have to be a dunce to imagine that this is a bad thing for the outlook of the business.

If Tesla is FCF negative *from Operations* however, that's really really bad - at least on first impressions, and definitely if it was an ongoing feature of the business. What this means at a glance is that the company is losing cash in the course of doing the stuff that is supposed to make money to pay the bills. Where it is important to be smarter than the bears about this, is to appreciate that hiring a vast number of people to make Model X when there is a $4 billion backlog of Model X cars to make is going to produce a period of FCF negative from Operations during hiring and training (because you need to hire people in advance of making stuff and shipping the stuff to customers, not the other way round), hence investing in a workforce to do that job is a really bullish signal, and not a really bearish one. You know, the opposite of downsizing. Information advantage 1.02.

Analyst estimates have Tesla with positive EPS in Q4 and all the quarters in 2016.
So, tesla will have positive "Operating" cash flow. Right?

I agree hiring is good. It's investment.

And from the Q3'15 ER outlook:

During the next several quarters, operating leverage should improve with revenue and gross profit both growing faster than operating expenses.

I was assuming they only spend 100m on capex on Q1, half their RND cost compared to Q3 2015, and maintain their sales, administration, and general cost (which is very unlikely, given the 50% increase in deliveries). Even under this kind of extreme saving on cost, they still need a lot of X in Q1, unless they are aiming for 20k S, which is more impossible.

What's to say Tesla can't get to FCF+ in Q1 from just delivering a significant amount of Model S like last quarter, and sprinkle in some high ASP X's?

Deepak said on the Q3 call that much of the CapEx required for Tesla Energy will be put in place by the end of 2015 for their needs next year. [28:52 - search 'q3 tesla' on YouTube]

Deepak also said the majority of CapEx for 2016 will be Model 3 and Gigafactory. Don't those two get a little more serious towards year end? The heavy costs of X tooling/sign off/etc were taken care of last year.

You're making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :rolleyes:

800/week, or even close to it and I say we're off to the races in short order.

Analyst estimates have Tesla with positive EPS in Q4 and all the quarters in 2016.

During the next several quarters, operating leverage should improve with revenue and gross profit both growing faster than operating expenses.

If you look at Yahoo Finance the estimates there are usually non GAAP, which is up to the company to define.

Analyst estimates are almost always positive one or two years out. Don't know why that is the case but I guess it has to be for their models. Amazon for example had positive and growing estimates 1-2 year out but they always delivered around 0.

We can debate whether non-GAAP or GAAP revenue should be used in calculating FCF all day, but TSLA themselves are using GAAP revenue in their past FCF calculations consistently. No reason for them to suddenly change how they calculate it unless they want to throw themselves to a pyre.

Just FYI, we were discussing Cash Flows, not Revenues.

For cash flows it matters when cash is actually received or paid. This is is really important as it relates to whether the bank balance is going up or down and whether or not external money is necessary to maintain a healthy bank balance while accomplishing goals that require cash to be spent. FCF (Free Cash Flow) from Operations is particularly interesting. What that means is that cash is being generated from sales net of overheads i.e. the business is growing without reliance on external funds.

For Revenues as you allude to, the same money can be labelled with all sorts of different accounting classifications only one of which is Revenues. The timings of revenues need not match up with the actual cash and can be incredibly arbitrary and counter-intuitive - hence the need for non-GAAP revenue recognition in the case of Tesla to make any sense of the business at all.

According to GAAP, as at Q3 Tesla had a $1.36 billion operating lease fleet that Tesla is waiting to be paid for over rolling lease periods of three years. In cash terms and contractually, both the lease fleet and the lease payments are imaginary. The customers own full title to their cars and 100% of the cash is already in Tesla's bank at the point of transferring that title. Neither the lease fleet nor the lease payments exist outside of the world of GAAP revenue Recognition.

Hence the value in looking at cash flows and therefore non-GAAP revenues (and non-GAAP EPS) which more accurately reflect the actual transactions of the business. This by the way is why Musk has talked about it taking until 2020 to show a GAAP profit. Under the current GAAP rules, so long as Tesla keeps issuing Residual Value Guarantees on exponentially increasing YOY sales at a greater rate than old RVGs expire GAAP may never show a net profit regardless of the business doing ridiculously well both in non-GAAP profits and in terms of Free Cash Flow from Operations - because each new RVG is recognized by GAAP as a Liability and each car sold with an RVG is misrepresented as a lease vehicle in some imaginary Operating Lease Fleet that Tesla has yet to receive any lease payments towards. It is not because the business will be unprofitable until 2020, it is because arbitrary profit deductions under GAAP will take a serious amount of profit to overwhelm those deductions.

This is yet another giant bear trap because confirmation bias of the bears cannot seem to penetrate this detail, they just get thrown a loop by negative GAAP headlines and confuse the matter with losing cash. For the rational Long this is information advantage 101.

- - - Updated - - -

Analysts use non-GAAP revenue to calculate EPS. And yes, TSLA has been positive operating cash flow for the past at least one quarter if not two on a non-GAAP basis.

The only thing that I feel I know about Q4 is that the bears expect it to be a disaster and that they are wrong. Which side of the EPS or FCF lines they are on I don't know. Positive cash flow from operations is almost certain however keep in mind that Q4 was the maximum head count of Model X workers in return for the minimum Model X deliveries that will ever occur. My guess is that they have done enough to line up a surprise beat into positive territory on both counts, or to come so close that it lends credibility to great guidance from Q1 onwards. If anything a positive consensus of EPS estimates is the biggest short term risk factor.

As for the flap about Model X ramp, I don't buy it. Last guidance stated exponential ramp with no significant obstacles. That I expect is entirely true and I there is a Model X event tonight at Fremont which is unlikely to pass with no word of reassurance on that score.

We can debate whether non-GAAP or GAAP revenue should be used in calculating FCF all day, but TSLA themselves are using GAAP revenue in their past FCF calculations consistently. No reason for them to suddenly change how they calculate it unless they want to throw themselves to a pyre.

GAAP and non-GAAP cash flows are the same. The weirdness with GAAP trying to bend an RVG sale into a lease shape severely misrepresents the timing of revenue and profit recognition, not cash.

Interesting discussion on RVG.

Just a little bit to add regarding GAAP revenue recognition, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I'm certainly not an accountant). I think we should start to see some tailwind from the first RVG sales in Q3 2016. (I think that means this belongs in short-term trading, right?)

The first RVG sales should be hitting the 36 month mark in April or May. At that point, there are only 2 possible outcomes: (1) customer lets option lapse and Tesla recognizes the remaining 50% of the sale or (2) customer exercises option, Tesla repurchases the MS and then re-sells it as a CPO -- recognizing ~50% (or more?) of the original purchase price. Either way, Tesla recognizes the revenue.

Obviously (as was the case with AAPL when they had a similar deferred revenue recognition issue with older iPhone sales), as long as unit sales are increasing, it's not a 1-for-1 swap of new RVG sale for old RVG recognition. However, it may have a bigger impact than anticipated (if it's anticipated at all).

Just took a gander at old 10-Qs, and here's the rough schedule of RVG reserves that should be released (you have to back out the prior reserves from the total to figure out what will be released):

Q3: $75.2 million
Q4: $84.8 million

And here are some later periods
FY 17: up to $327 million
Q1-Q3 18: up to $585 million

Another way to see this number (I think), is to look at the Current liabilities section of the most recent balance sheet. Effectively, the Resale value guarantees line item there should match those RVG sales that will be released (either by lapse or exercise/CPO sale) in the coming 12 months. As of 9/30, that current liability RVG was $85 million. (I think the discrepancy has to do with the precise timing of sales within a given quarter).

Finally, I think this has a direct impact on earnings as well. While associated automotive expense will also coincide with deferred RVG recognition, it's just gross profit that's impacted. Gross automotive profit has long been positive for Tesla. Stated another way, if automotive gross profit was 25% on those $85 million in sales, Tesla should have a positive boost to Q3 earnings of ~$21.25 million.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not enough yet to move the needle to positive GAAP net earnings, but it does help.

To put things into perspective, through Sep 30, there were $1.03 billion of RVG sales waiting to be recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.