Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe that those are just as plausible. And the reason is that Elon continues to play the long game, and the most important thing currently to succeeding in the long game is the Model 3 ramp. So if Tesla needed additional capital in Q4 to stay on the accelerated ramp for the Model 3, Elon would raise it at $200 or $190 and take the extra dilution vs. a $230 price. Elon does not optimize for the short term, and he has proven that to us many times recently. Remember how the announcements of 500K vehicles in 2018 and the SolarCity acquisition tanked the stock? Both short term hits because of Elon executing on his long term vision.

the original idea was this:

since Elon did not specify why a capital raise wasn't necessary, there was a lot of speculation on the board of what the reasoning might be. i threw out the question that in relation to the Goldman downgrade last week, is it possible that Tesla did not get sufficient support for a capital raise at this time... which is contrary to your statement of whether or not Elon would raise at these levels.

there's basically one of two reasons why they aren't raising capital... they no longer need it or can't. I simply explored the "they can't" side.

Him reminding us that a SEC filing two days earlier contradicts Elon Musks tweet is very sober, useful and material information...

Actually, a lot can happen and change in two days especially when Tesla is the subject. There are literally hundreds of examples of Tesla making changes out of the blue/over night on this board. So no, not sober, not necessarily useful or material. What's sober, useful and material is what was most recently tweeted because that's where Tesla is now in this moment.

Actually, a lot can happen and change in two days especially when Tesla is the subject. There are literally hundreds of examples of Tesla making changes out of the blue/over night on this board. So no, not sober, not necessarily useful or material. What's sober, useful and material is what was most recently tweeted because that's where Tesla is now in this moment.
virtually all of the articles on the subject of the tweets have references to the discrepancy between Elon's statements and the SEC filing. regardless of your opinion... it is part of the conversation and therefore useful material to the subject. i'm taken back at the blinders many are wearing on this board. why would *any* information directly related to the subject be so immediately dismissed?

Reactions: mmd
There were some questions about the veracity of TSLA short interest data that was presented by the Head of Research of Financial analytics Firm S3 Partners, Ihor Dusaniwsky. Here is the explanation of how his firm derives it's real time short interest data, in his own words:

Snap1.png

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and Lessmog
virtually all of the articles on the subject of the tweets have references to the discrepancy between Elon's statements and the SEC filing. regardless of your opinion... it is part of the conversation and therefore useful material to the subject. i'm taken back at the blinders many are wearing on this board. why would *any* information directly related to the subject be so immediately dismissed?

Why do you see this as such a huge point of emphasis?

Elon and Tesla have said both verbally and in filings for some amount of time now (2 months? 3 months? I honestly don't remember) that a capital raise to support an accelerated Model 3 ramp was likely going to happen in Q4. As of today, Elon is indicating that they no longer expect to need to raise capital through the end of this year.

• Love
Reactions: madodel
I used Oncor as an example because they had a plan to buy 5GW / 15GWh of stationary storage which independent study concluded would be benefitial at $350/kWh. The reason for this large project is that wind accounts for about 15% of Texas' installed generation capacity. This large percentage of renewables put significant strain on the grid, could lead to power interruptions, and results in wind generators at times switching of generation because grid is not able to absorb it.

I do not know how likely agreement with Oncor specifically is, but an offtake agreement is a plausible way to obtain cash Tesla needs to avoid the capital raise.

There are, however, few interesting points to keep in mind regarding the Oncor:

There are further, encouraging details on the pending approval of the deal by Public Utilities Commission (PUC). According to the article linked below PUC memeber's objection to the deal seem to be favorably addressed to his satisfaction:

$275 million roadblock in sale of Texas electricity giant Oncor may be gone | Energy | Dallas News

i can't wait to find out in about 8 hours how TSLA trades in premarket in AM
i suspect we will have a major UP day tomorrow
i need it since I'm facing a margin call on my TSLA stock due this Friday with all the shenanigans pulled off by GS and shorts last week
i mean it's not a huge deal even if i have to sell a 1000 shares by Friday to meet the margin call since i still have a big position in TSLA but it sure would be nice to see shorts/bears get their comeuppance
seems to me Elon's tweets today should get off a furious rally tomorrow
i can't wait to find out:)

Folks, as usual our guesses are tending towards hyperbole. Model Y... gimme a break. (I do not think we will see that spoken about or shown before H2 2017)

Usually when Elon uses the phrase "product announcement" - which he has done before - it turns out to be something incremental, and totally cool when viewed retrospectively - but, somewhat underwhelming at the time of reveal. The "Ending Range Anxiety Forever" reveal comes to mind. I use the feature that was revealed that day very often and love it! But it didn't seem earth-shattering at the time.

I have to admit I do like the Model X middle-row seating suggestion, had that idea myself. To back that up, they have refused to deliver any 5-seat Model X's even though they could have done very easily. Perhaps they have been refusing to deliver them while they get their middle row option sorted out. Other ideas - the charging snake... or some sort of new standalone power outlet to replace the HPWC - again. Perhaps it's a Tesla Energy thing. Perhaps a private Supercharger product that hotels, stores or other businesses can purchase and install for themselves. Perhaps it's the Roadster updates that I never really saw get rolled out.

But to me, the plain and simple suggestion is that Monday October 17th is about...

Software Version 8.1.

As you know Elon loves to talk about new software features and we all know 8.1 is coming up shortly. (but before the December Linux 4.4 upgrade w/ new browser...) It's likely he wants to give some publicity to the features.

I don't think he's going to reveal any changes to the dashboard, OR any new hardware for Autopilot. For the simple reason, he wants to leave that until after it has been demonstrated during the Part 2 Reveal, in order to maintain excitement for the Model 3. At some time after that (but before Model 3 ships) it will show up in the flagship product line, Model S and Model X. He won't reveal this stuff in a week's time.

The other reason he won't discuss Autopilot 2.0 is that they only just shipped the new radar vision upgrade for Autopilot 1.0 hardware. Why would he ruin the advantages of that upgrade by talking about what's coming next so quickly after?

i can't wait to find out in about 8 hours how TSLA trades in premarket in AM
i suspect we will have a major UP day tomorrow
i need it since I'm facing a margin call on my TSLA stock due this Friday with all the shenanigans pulled off by GS and shorts last week
i mean it's not a huge deal even if i have to sell a 1000 shares by Friday to meet the margin call since i still have a big position in TSLA but it sure would be nice to see shorts/bears get their comeuppance
seems to me Elon's tweets today should get off a furious rally tomorrow
i can't wait to find out:)

Consider using Margin Calculator to see if you can buy OTM puts to reduce you margin exposure and eliminate the Margin Call. Depending on your position buying far OTM puts can be all that is required to satisfy the margin call, especially if there is expectation of SP moving up. I've been there and done so on many occasions - it could really help for a very nominal amount spent on the puts.

With all the focus on AP, I think another probable "product announcement" could be using new battery pack architecture on other variants of the car: replacing 90D with 100D (without the "P"), and perhaps replacing 75D with 85D (less likely)

Consider using Margin Calculator to see if you can buy OTM puts to reduce you margin exposure and eliminate the Margin Call. Depending on your position buying far OTM puts can be all that is required to satisfy the margin call, especially if there is expectation of SP moving up. I've been there and done so on many occasions - it could really help for a very nominal amount spent on the puts.
Better yet learn lesson and avoid margin

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Powerwall 2.0?
We expect:

PowerWall 2 & PowerPack 2
AP 2
Solar Roof

We don't all expect (but I do):
Solar roof on Tesla cars
Model Y/pickup
Bus
Truck (semi, etc.)
Inverter
AI enhancements to Tesla cars (ie, part of AP2 hw)
Swappable smaller batteries (smaller sizes, 2-4 per car, insert when needed)
Tractors (as in construction, farm, etc.). Standard ruggedized swappable battery packs would seem necessary to me. Dirty, rough, heavy duty, heavy duty cycle, heavy load, reliable, shaken a lot, etc. different than dainty premium EV's.
Jobsite power
Wireless charge, snake charge, whatever to not need plugin

He already said no:
Use car battery for home solar bidirectional

Coming later:
Model 3 (or is it already here?)

Down the road:
Airplane
Helicopter
RV
Redesigns of S,X,Roadster (spreading features of them around, adding features/luxury)
HUD
Emergency rockets in cars to divert around accidents

As unlikely as this is, I would give about 40% to this (50% is AP2 and 10% is sg else). Others have noted this could be related to the Model X 60 disappearing - making room for Y - and that a few hundered million in reservations could help with the cash sans the capital raise. Also, it may not be that far fetched to assume that they have 1 early prototype of Y ready to show off.
Or the cargo van based on Model X chassis he recently mentioned.

Am I the only one who thinks of this every time October 17th is mentioned?:

The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake occurred in Northern California on October 17 at 5:04 p.m.

Last edited:
Better yet learn lesson and avoid margin

Agree with this recommendation. Just to clarify I was able to *avoid* margin call by spending nominal amount on OTM puts before I ever got the margin call. It is a matter of advanced planning, including not going too deep into margin, so that fall in SP can trigger the margin call.

The presentation from the city to the city council suggests the build-out is mainly warehouse space in order to meet the 500k production goal. Given the timing -- is there enough time to do the build-out before 2018? -- I do wonder whether we should take that at face value, however.
Wow. Some people are saying "Why build now... they have two years", as if you can build an entire production line in a few days/months. And here you say "There's not enough time to build a warehouse!". Half of Fremont is currently storing either parts or incomplete inventory, and all they need to do is move it all somewhere else, and they can start building a production line.

Reactions: GoTslaGo and Ulmo
Status
Not open for further replies.