Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So any bets on how soon we will se massive price target raises by analysts, based on the confirmation of the concrete plans for a Tesla Network of autonomous cars, where Tesla is organizing the ride sharing and taking a share of the profits? I'm betting very soon. (Sorry for some cross posting here from the other thread about the Tesla Network).

Let's start by giving credit where credit is due - to Adam Jonas at Morgan Stanley.

Auto Industry Is Ripe for Disruption

From his report earlier this year:

"The sooner investors can make the transformation, we believe the more industry events will make sense over the next 12 to 24 months, as the story of industry disruption likely unfolds," says Jonas, who first called out the emerging trend of shared mobility as early as 2014, and has since been exploring its ramifications through the auto industry, changes in consumer behavior and the evolving technologies reshaping this space.

"Vehicle sharing can only take your vehicle utilization to about 50%-60% of its full potential, in our view," says Jonas. "And as long as these vehicles are human-driven, logistical inefficiencies will persist. Autonomous vehicles on the other hand remove the human bottleneck and the economics change substantially."

"We see the first serious application of fully autonomous transport to be in the form of public-private partnerships at a hyper-localized level of a city center," Jonas says. "We expect a potential announcement of proof of reality in a North American metropolitan area as early as 2016."

And this from 2015, where he raised his price target to $465 based on the percieved value of [autonomous] Shared Mobility:

Tesla will be a leader in self-driving technology: Morgan Stanley

“We view this business opportunity as potentially additive to Tesla’s existing model of selling human-driven cars to private owners and see potential for this model to conceivably more than triple the company’s potential revenues by 2029,” said the note. “That is, selling miles in addition to selling cars.”

So Jonas was probably just slightly early to the party in 2015, but I definately expect him to significantly up his price target now, and for other analysts to follow.

I actually doubt that Tesla will be able to achieve Level 5 autonomy with 8 cameras and Nvidia Titan.
I'm pretty sure however that Tesla will have a leading Level 4 system for years to come.

It's also smart for Tesla to release 2.0 hardware now for few reasons:
  • Tesla will have refined system for M3 launch
  • Buyers no longer have to worry about buying 'obsolete' car
  • Releasing 2.0 early Tesla will have less AP1.0 cars to support in the future

I agree, but would add "level 5 acceptable to regulators". Musk will of course claim that this new tech is good enough. But he also hired a new microprocessor design team. Why are they needed? Perhaps level 6.

The great news is that there is now plenty of new hardware capability to steadily add new features. This is good for TSLA, and good for pushing EV forward faster.

The bad news is that the margin in the base model 3 is now probably negative. But that may be O.K.

I'm still trying to figure out if Musk "bet the farm" by claiming that this hardware is good enough. The dude seems to like to take unnecessary risks from a shareholder perspective.

It would be interesting to spec out total cost of the full autonomy suite once someone does a tear down and we can get part numbers.

CCD/CMOS sensors are dirt cheap, the lenses aren't going to add much cost, the ultrasonic sensors are not expensive, the radar (if it's the same one AP 1.0 uses) is probably under $150 the nvidia hardware under $300...

I'd be surprised if total hardware cost for Tesla's full autonomy suite was greater than $1000.

It would be interesting to spec out total cost of the full autonomy suite once someone does a tear down and we can get part numbers.

CCD/CMOS sensors are dirt cheap, the lenses aren't going to add much cost, the ultrasonic sensors are not expensive, the radar (if it's the same one AP 1.0 uses) is probably under $150 the nvidia hardware under $300...

I'd be surprised if total hardware cost for Tesla's full autonomy suite was greater than $1000.

Agreed. But it also does add complexity to the manufacturing. That said I too think these options will have great gross margins.

I still remember the people telling that speech recognition could reach near 100 % accuracy some day (much easier than autonomous driving). What have they reached? For a car that drives completely autonomous you would need 99,99999 % even under worse conditions (bad light / rain, snow, ...).
First things first, is speech recognition actually an easier problem? Or is it more difficult except for the fact that the consequences of a mistake are not as serious? I mean there is a lot more data in 8 cameras, 12 ultrasonics, and a radar than there is from one microphone. However, your point is still valid. Tesla still has to get the system operational before we can say they have a self-driving car. While I readily admit this may not be achievable, I also believe that if Tesla can't do it it is unlikely anyone else will and Tesla will have the lead in autonomous technology.

The bottom line is this is not a "huge risk" or anything like that. Worst case you have a slightly better autopilot. Best case is Tesla is the first car company with a fully self-driving car. If they don't achieve that they still sell a great car and will get plenty of Model 3 orders.

sounds good... but the data doesn't currently exist... and until then the suggestion that "autonomous vehicles are safer than humans driving" is only theoretical... and it isn't even proven that the "tool" that Tesla is building is even the right tool to collect such data.

i find the lack of scientific reasoning on this subject crazy... EVERYTHING Elon has ever said about fully autonomous vehicles is only theoretical... and that includes yesterday's "product release".

If the tool they are building doesn't work they can just build another one. Either way Tesla clearly has the most advanced driver assist package on the market and will do for some time. No other car on the road today has anywhere near the same level of sensors, computing power and capacity to upgrade in a timely manner.

Why do you think there is no scientific reasoning? The whole point of slowly upgrading autonomous capacity over time as testing can be achieved and confirmed is the embodiment of scientific thinking.

Go check out his account. Apparently he does not sleep, just recharges on the Borg mothership from time to time.
2AM isn't an insane time for a huge personal project. This was really important to him. I know I went to bed thinking "he'll get it up before I wake up", which he did.

The video showed that it was a "learning driver". I would like to see a video every day week from now on showing how it learns over the next two months.

Reactions: SunCatcher

And when volume ramps up with the Ξ the cost for that hardware will go down.

Let's start by giving credit where credit is due - to Adam Jonas at Morgan Stanley.

I have to admit that when Jonas was first beating the drum on this I thought he was way ahead of his skis, but this morning my head is spinning with the possibilities for profit, some of which are more short term than I expected. A certain percentage of Tesla buyers will pay $8,000 today for what this software option will deliver in the near term. That percentage will increase as the capability of the software expands. And Tesla can adjust pricing over time -- including segmenting software features (e.g. $X for parking assist, $Y for highway driving assist).

But Tesla Network is an even bigger profit opportunity than software upgrade fees, and while TN needs to be discounted by an uncertain regulatory environment, it definitely should not be discounted to zero. As of today, I'm with Jonas that the price of TSLA needs to reflect this opportunity. I don't agree with you, Johan, that the market will start to price this in "very soon", but sometime over the next 12 months this is going to start to have a substantial impact.

Of all the things I admire about Musk and Tesla, the long-term strategic thinking and execution we are witnessing is truly stunning.

I have to admit that when Jonas was first beating the drum on this I thought he was way ahead of his skis, but this morning my head is spinning with the possibilities for profit, some of which are more short term than I expected. A certain percentage of Tesla buyers will pay $8,000 today for what this software option will deliver in the near term. That percentage will increase as the capability of the software expands. And Tesla can adjust pricing over time -- including segmenting software features (e.g. $X for parking assist, $Y for highway driving assist).

But Tesla Network is an even bigger profit opportunity than software upgrade fees, and while TN needs to be discounted by an uncertain regulatory environment, it definitely should not be discounted to zero. As of today, I'm with Jonas that the price of TSLA needs to reflect this opportunity. I don't agree with you, Johan, that the market will start to price this in "very soon", but sometime over the next 12 months this is going to start to have a substantial impact.

Of all the things I admire about Musk and Tesla, the long-term strategic thinking and execution we are witnessing is truly stunning.
he was ahead of his skis... with a bottle of whisky in his hand wearing jeans... and now Elon just bought you guys into it.

I am afraid that TSLA ignores the European Situation and the established thinking about safety.

<snip>

I'm afraid that some are stuck thinking that nothing ever changes or can change - and right quickly.

You're not allowed to sell cars in the United States without going through a dealership network - lots of established rules, regulations and laws. Oops!
No privately owned rocket company will ever dock with the ISS and fully reuseable rockets, bah, humbug! - lots of established rules and thinking existed about that. Oops!
I tell you, The World Is Flat!!! Oops!
Fully self-driving cars won't be here for 10 (whatever) years. Can not be done sooner. Oops!

Don't you worry one little bit. When the data is collected and shows that computerized, self-driving cars are way safer than people, whatever 'situations' and 'thinking' and 'rules/regulations/legislation' that currently exist anywhere in the world will undoubtedly change. You should be more afraid of it becoming against the law to manually drive because that has a greater chance of happening then self-driving not happening.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I know plenty of people - mainly younger than myself - who aspire to owning a Tesla, but certainly can't afford one, even a M3 is a tall order. However, in theory they could buy one, pimp it out on the Tesla Network, and maybe end up getting the car for free, or making a clear profit. Even those not previously looking at a M3 could now become interested as a pure business case.

But I do agree there will be some, maybe most, that would never do it, espcially the older generations.

Or they could pool their resources and share the car amongst themselves. Autonomy makes 'scheduling' a breeze. The car can pick up and drop them off at their various meetings, appointments etc...

The older generation may not want to share their car, but they certainly will love the freedom it gives them. Heck, nursing homes and assisted care facilities could offer self-driving cars as part of their services.

Status
Not open for further replies.