Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, quite a drop in shares available for shorting at Fidelity - now at 955,550.

That's 747,400 shares difference in just 3 hours of trading. Were all these shares really shorted this am? If true, that would have been more that 50% of today's volume.

939,157 shares available for shorting at Fidelity as of 9:35am, interest the same as on Friday at 2%

I'm a little confused, I'd love some insight if you guys have any. TSLA only 118k available to short at 1.35% on IB. SCTY has 343k at 7.9%. There were over 1MM shares available at the end of last week for SCTY and if I recall correctly, around 750k for TSLA. The available shares have plummeted, however, the rate paid is still very low. I assumed as people continue to borrow the rate should rise, I'm also surprised at people shorting into this ER. Am I missing something?

I'm a little confused, I'd love some insight if you guys have any. TSLA only 118k available to short at 1.35% on IB. SCTY has 343k at 7.9%. There were over 1MM shares available at the end of last week for SCTY and if I recall correctly, around 750k for TSLA. The available shares have plummeted, however, the rate paid is still very low. I assumed as people continue to borrow the rate should rise, I'm also surprised at people shorting into this ER. Am I missing something?

Here's a thought. When someone borrows shares to short, are they required to immediately sell into a new position or can they hold those shares and sell in at a time and date of their choosing? With interest rates so low, you might see some shorts loading up on shares that they can use if the ER is disappointing, but they haven't yet sold into a position.If the ER is good, they could just return the shares they haven't yet sold and pay a little interest. Maybe someone who knows more about the process of short selling can clarify. Thx.

Here's a thought. When someone borrows shares to short, are they required to immediately sell into a new position or can they hold those shares and sell in at a time and date of their choosing? With interest rates so low, you might see some shorts loading up on shares that they can use if the ER is disappointing, but they haven't yet sold into a position.If the ER is good, they could just return the shares they haven't yet sold and pay a little interest. Maybe someone who knows more about the process of short selling can clarify. Thx.

My knowledge on this subject is sadly lacking. When I've opened a short position previously (only on a couple occasions) I do so by selling shares I don't own. So it was immediate for me. I don't know if its possible to do so in the manner you've described.

a stock being shorted is not the only way for it to go down... it's really weird that everyone here seems to think down means short attack and up means short squeeze+buyers... never is selling assumed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Value Ev and esk8mw
But Models S and X at the moment don't have steer by wire and brake by wire, so it is not possible to prevent passenger to involve. But I don't see this as a proof, that those cars are not Level 5 capable.
I believe you're wrong about not having steer-by-wire. I am quite sure that you're wrong about not having brake-by-wire, since the change from vacuum-boosted brakes to electrically operated brakes was part of the original Autopilot announcement.

Level 5 doesn't have different capability compared to level 4. The difference is lack of user controls..

http://www.sae.org/misc/pdfs/automated_driving.pdf

According to this, the difference between level 4 and 5 is that in level 5 there is "the full-time performance by an automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task under all roadway
and environmental conditions that can be managed by a human driver."

Level 4 does not need to handle all possible driving modes. E.g. driving in heavy rain or some other limitation.

a stock being shorted is not the only way for it to go down... it's really weird that everyone here seems to think down means short attack and up means short squeeze+buyers... never is selling assumed.

Not everyone here believes that and your generalization based on a few vocal posters is an example of bad logic or bad assumptions.

I believe you're wrong about not having steer-by-wire. I am quite sure that you're wrong about not having brake-by-wire, since the change from vacuum-boosted brakes to electrically operated brakes was part of the original Autopilot announcement.

Perhaps, to satisfy a few apparently hung up on semantics, once certified for Level 5 you can make an appointment at your nearest Service Center to have the steering wheel and brake pedal removed. Let's assume that and move on from whether or not the car can be level 5 or not based on whether it has a brake pedal and steering wheel.

Wired has a rundown on self-driving cars, mostly of little interest to the technically minded here. However, near the end there is a video interview by wired editor and MIT media lab guy. Obama clearly gets it. We are lucky to have him. I can't imagine a more clear-eyed view of this technology, AI, and the role of government regulation across all applications.

Elon Musk’s Plan for Self-Driving Teslas Seems Insane, But Just Might Work

Status
Not open for further replies.