Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me as being in the camp of "shorting has will no longer have any impact on the financial stability of the company", nor will recalls, fires, accidents have a huge impact on the financials of Tesla. Of course we should never tempt fate and I certainly don't hope that any of these events will become true. I also don't think that Tesla is risk-free - not by a long shot. If Model 3 is a failure, they wouldn't get TE to work or mess-up the solar part of their business they would surely be in trouble. But these items are all in the control of Tesla.

So no, shorting Tesla won't hold Tesla back. Why does shorting still exist? Well, part of that may be "good ol' tradition" - the cost of shorting Tesla may just be a small marketing expense for those in the oil+gas industry. But I think the whole game may have an impact on other start-ups who still need to go to the market for funding and I come to think that's of increasing importance.

I'm a bit conflicted about that: on the one hand, this will make Tesla stronger and they will be able to grab more of the market. On the other hand it is detrimental to Tesla's vision. So even if it makes me money (through my long-term investments in Tesla) it is holding back progress and that's not good.

As far as short term impact on the industry I think you are right. Long term though I think that it will be the main reason the SP flies again when it does. And I think other startups are immune to shorting as they aren't publically traded, and by the time they are, I get the feeling the era of EVs as a major market share will have arrived and shorting as an objection to the market shift will no longer be a functional practice.

There was a significant drawdown in shares available for shorting at Fidelity - 465k shares. Looks like a concerted effort to prevent SP from further gains...

View attachment 205026

Yes, looks like they're willing to invest a ton of resources into pushing TSLA below 190 today. It would be a huge defeat if their effort failed, but 400,000 shares deployed in the late afternoon is lots of ammo!

Reactions: Turing
Indeed. One implication is that we may see this drag from the shorts until the volume production of a profitable Model 3 is assured. Their resolve might crack sooner as it becomes apparent that spending all this money on expanding the short holdings is no longer as effective as in the pre-merger days. For example, instead of the typical short-induced slow-descent in stock price in the low-volume afternoon hours, we're more often seeing a slow afternoon rise of SP that undoes the morning's short-selling efforts. Their resolve might also crack if Tesla's cash flow, with the help of Tesla energy, starts to back up Elon's claim that an equity raise prior to Model 3 production is not essential. We live in interesting times.

There is also the issue that I'm pretty sure shorting the stock has been pretty profitable for most of this year. So rather than exhausting funds they've been accumulating them.

Reactions: KLC13
Yes, looks like they're willing to invest a ton of resources into pushing TSLA below 190 today. It would be a huge defeat if their effort failed, but 400,000 shares deployed in the late afternoon is lots of ammo!

Just to clarify, the draw drawdown could have been any time (or spread over time) before 10:45am and 2:31pm, the two times when I've checked shares available for shorting so not necessarily during the late afternoon.

• Informative
Reactions: 150 kWh and Papafox
There is also the issue that I'm pretty sure shorting the stock has been pretty profitable for most of this year. So rather than exhausting funds they've been accumulating them.

I'm not sure exactly how much cash reserve short are expected to keep in their accounts, maybe 50%? I would agree that most shorts are in a profitable situation at the moment, having sold into their positions at higher levels. Nonetheless, it's also a matter of how much exposure these shorts are willing to place themselves in. We've seen the short shares number climb above 30 million recently and tomorrow after close we get to see the Nov 30 numbers. The question for shorts is: when does it stop making sense to increase your personal short position in TSLA when you see that the tactics of the past are not producing the desired outcomes?

• Informative
Reactions: winfield100

This is actually not necessarily true. Quantity of shares available to short is not unlimited, and the short sellers that are trying to manipulate the SP do not create short positions and hold on to them. Instead they borrow during chosen times and sell borrowed shares in large volumes, trying to induce panic selling or trigger automatic stop loss orders. Then they slowly and methodically close their positions in a cadence that minimizes any associated SP run up. The whole shebang is repeated at a time of their choosing. The whole game is concentrated selling of borrowed shares designed to provoke abrupt move of SP down, and then covering designed not to cause movement of SP up.

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
I'm not sure exactly how much cash reserve short are expected to keep in their accounts, maybe 50%? I would agree that most shorts are in a profitable situation at the moment, having sold into their positions at higher levels. Nonetheless, it's also a matter of how much exposure these shorts are willing to place themselves in. We've seen the short shares number climb above 30 million recently and tomorrow after close we get to see the Nov 30 numbers. The question for shorts is: when does it stop making sense to increase your personal short position in TSLA when you see that the tactics of the past are not producing the desired outcomes?

Before borrowing shares for shorting they are required to post cash or equities covering *more* than 100%, up to 105% of their short position. As SP fluctuates, they are required to adjust the collateral according to the above *daily*. So cost of shorting is not only in paying interest and being exposed to the risk of losses due to covering at SP that is higher than during the time when short position was established, but in that it ties significant amount of capital as collateral.

This is low risk and very profitable business for Institutional SO.

• Informative
Reactions: KLC13
But I'm not seeing any corresponding increase in volume. Maybe somehow those shares were recalled?

• Informative
Reactions: T3slaTulips
The amount of money behind groups against Tesla and the incentive for them to spend money for it to fail make me think that the financial backing behind short interest is probably in a practical sense inexhaustible. Financially speaking, there are some very wealthy organizations that could see shorting Tesla as a loss leader to preserving their existing business models. So I think its less about "when they run out of money" and more about when it becomes clear shorting the stock will no long have any impact on the financial stability of the company. Some in the forum may believe that time has already come, I imagine that ideal will become more universal once the Model 3 is in full production.

The upside of all the shorting and negative news is that it seems to have forced tesla to be more focused on capital discipline and efficiency at least until model 3 launches. The downside is that it has probably slowed down spending on things like the rate of new superchargers and service centers.

The upside of all the shorting and negative news is that it seems to have forced tesla to be more focused on capital discipline and efficiency at least until model 3 launches. The downside is that it has probably slowed down spending on things like the rate of new superchargers and service centers.

I'm curious I've never seen more than one tesla at a supercharger in the Midwest. I've been to a number of different locations. It SEEMS like there are more than enough in this part of the country. My assumption has been the only place that it's been an issue is SF and LA area. Anyone outside of those areas feel as if there stalls in their area are overloaded.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
But I'm not seeing any corresponding increase in volume. Maybe somehow those shares were recalled?

Hopefully, vgrinshpun can give us another peek into the short shares drawdown and covering at Fidelity towards the end of trading today. Then we'd have a better picture of the net drawdown for the day. We can get some indication through shortanalytics.com later today, too.

Re cylindrical vs pouch. It is not clear to me which is easier to temoerature regulate ... it depends on where heat is generated and how the diffusion and distribution of heat and cooling works. Cylindrical cells have a fixed and likely easily modeled form factor. The shells likely improve heat transfer, and the bottoms of the cells may give an excellent site for cooling effects. I do not think one can comment without data from the cells. Tesla has obviously done a good job at tempersture regulation. Cylindrical cells also give other advantagrs, such as a finer granularity and safety. If non cylindrical forms give better results, then TM would likely convert.

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
Can you describe this cadence in detail? Sounds like one might be able to run an FFT on the shares sold vs time data and detect when this is occurring.

Imagine if an institution slowly sold 100,000 shares throughout a day with volume of 5 million shares. That's only about 2% of the total selling and if it was spread out it probably would have a slight negative but not a big negative influence upon the day's trading. Now consider if that same seller parted with those 100,000 shares in the first minute of market open. The results would be much different because the market would be somewhat shocked by the steep selloff at open. The psychology of the trading that day would have been changed. So, volume of selling within a one minute period is a factor. Then, consider if the selling is done in the first hour of trading, when volume is heavy or in the late afternoon, when volume is especially light. Selling as few as 2,000 shares in late afternoon is likely to depress the stock price, but that volume is insufficient to have much influence during high volume times of the day. So, time of day affects the volume being traded, which influences how much of an effect the selling will have. Consider, too, when short-selling, teamed up with FUD, causes stop-losses placed by longs to be trigged as the stock price descends. These triggers are often set for whole numbers, and so the shorts push to spring a stop-loss. The resulting flurry of selling is a perfect time for a short to cover for the day without seeing too much of a change in stock price.

I'm curious I've never seen more than one tesla at a supercharger in the Midwest. I've been to a number of different locations. It SEEMS like there are more than enough in this part of the country. My assumption has been the only place that it's been an issue is SF and LA area. Anyone outside of those areas feel as if there stalls in their area are overloaded.

Hugely off topic, but yeah here in Texas the stalls are lonely places. I usually HOPE to see other cars so I have someone to chat with :)

On the topic of short sellers: I am willing to believe that there are deep-pocketed interests who could spend a negligible amount of money on shorting TSLA and keeping it down. Doesn't take much of a tin-foil hat. They have the motive and opportunity, and it's legal.

EVENTUALLY it will not matter. If the fundamental value keeps creeping up, eventually the stock price has to go up too. The attempt to keep a lid on the price will eventually fail when the internal pressure is too high...

One interesting thought experiment though: We usually think a low stock price is marginally bad for TM since it raises the cost of capital. BUT and advantage of a lower-stable stock price is that it probably inhibits the startup scene. We ARE seeing some me-too auto startups which may amount to something. But if TSLA was at 450 there would be 10x the startups.

Thanks short sellers!

Status
Not open for further replies.