Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies and gentleman. I find myself getting more and more emotional as the date approaches.

8 years since I heard about Tesla. 6 since I put 1/4 of my life on the line for the vision of mass market EV. I think I am going to tear up on the 31st

Never have any one "thing" gave me so much emotions.

I am going to spend that $500 to take out a few IPO shares and frame it up.

on topic: demand for M3, watershed event

Assuming the Tesla Model 3 offers a value proposition on a par with $45K BMW at an effective discount to the consumer of $10,000 up front, plus another $1K+ savings in running costs annually before incentives where applicable (and they are applicable in many places).

Assuming The Model 3 addresses a markets with an average new car price of around $33K (like America) plus $1000s per year in running costs.

Then objectively the Model 3 ought to be received in the auto market generally as simply the best value for money proposition as a new car for anyone that can afford a new car of about $25K or above - and it may well be more exciting to consumers at the low-end of that scale than just buying another Camry or Prius from a car dealer and resuming the pay at the pump cycle because family budget dictates, when the same budget or close enough will run the Model 3 without that indignity.

It rarely makes sense in investing circles to dream in hyperbolic numbers but objectively this remains true. The addressable market for this car is completely disconnected from Tesla's or anyone else's projections for capacity or ability to scale or just about anything else. Tesla has been accepted in the world as an Auto Maker, just like Ford, Toyota, GM, BMW, Audi and Mercedes - Tesla has even had that description forced upon it by its most rabid detractors and by the prognostications of industry "experts" like Bob Lutz - and here Tesla the Auto Maker comes with a better car at a better price. Are they suddenly not an Auto Maker? No! Too late for that. One other point to mention - most prospective auto consumers surveyed tend to tick the box marked "innovation" as their most important purchasing criterion and when included, hit to box marked Tesla when indicating the most innovative auto brand.

What would anyone faced with that offer - a better car at a better price - do when they are in the market for a new car? Choose a worse one at a higher price from a tired and boring Auto Maker just because adding their name to a Tesla reservation tally would contribute to making that list unrealistically large according to some talking-head analyst on Bloomberg or CNBC - or to make way for someone else to get in line before them? I don't think so and most people can't be bothered with Bloomberg or CNBC anyway and would rather watch the Sport Channel, Game of Thrones or something on Netflix. Whatever the reservation tally, it will have no connection to reason besides the reasons affecting consumer choice and objectively there is NOTHING preventing whole percentages or even double digit percentages of the entire auto market choosing this car if it looks and performs better and simply appeals more than other cars that cost more money. Tesla's servers have more capacity to register customers than the sum of the world's vehicle production capacity, Tesla has plenty of room in its server racks for all comers.

I am exactly on the same page here. Very eloquently done!.. you wrote my thoughts better than I could.

...and the implications if it is so:

Massive massive demand to come. Never mind the week after reveal, we are talking millions of units and Tesla has given no guidance in the public domain as to how this sort of demand can be met. If it doesn't give us that guidance, it will look to the market as if Tesla is going to leave a mountain of cash on the table.

Even if only 100k M3 reservations are clocked in the first week, it doesn't matter, because it tells us straight away that there will be at least 1 million reserved before the first M3 is delivered. Why? ...because reservations can obviously only come from the sector of the population that knows what Tesla is. And I can say with certainty, that sector will be at least 10 times more numerous come delivery of M3 xxxxx001.

Hmm, random thought, if reservations for Model 3 really do reach 1 million, then there is not much risk of cannibalizing Models S & X. Why? Demand for Teslas will be very high. Those who can afford it will want a distinctive ride, which the S and X provide. Moreover, why wait?

Reactions: MitchJi
I don't know what layout, what robots, what assembly line Toyota had at the Fremont plant. There is no reason for me to think that Tesla could not improve upon Toyota's efficiency and double the output from the same space. Perhaps 1 million cars/year is possible from the Fremont factory....

On the surface, seems possible. BUT tesla is vertically integrated. They have much more at the factory than assembly. They have most of engineering there. They make motors there. They did make battery packs there but they are moving it to GF. Bottom line is that they'll need to move more stuff out of Fremont to make make room for high rate vehicle assembly.

Hmm, random thought, if reservations for Model 3 really do reach 1 million, then there is not much risk of cannibalizing Models S & X. Why? Demand for Teslas will be very high. Those who can afford it will want a distinctive ride, which the S and X provide. Moreover, why wait?

I just hope Model 3 design queues look "good". Sporty but luxurious like BMW or Audi. If Franz and Elon push the design into something too futuristic, I think it'll alienate some buyers. I'm fairly optimistic it will be a good looking design

BTW

"A Tesla Spokesman" recently echoed something more or less word for word that I have been on about for months regards the Gigafactory.

Words to the effect that they will prove out the first module and take the expansion forwards with that learning under their belts and that this made more sense than the original idea to build out enormous amount of buildings.

My words: The idea to build out loads of buildings was to guard against permitting delays, but that does not seem to be a threat to the timeline in Nevada so they are able to focus instead on more important priorities - optimizing the process inside the buildings before designing the rest of the buildings around the process.

I am exactly on the same page here. Very eloquently done!.. you wrote my thoughts better than I could.

Massive massive demand to come. Never mind the week after reveal, we are talking millions of units and Tesla has given no guidance in the public domain as to how this sort of demand can be met. If it doesn't give us that guidance, it will look to the market as if Tesla is going to leave a mountain of cash on the table.

Even if only 100k M3 reservations are clocked in the first week, it doesn't matter, because it tells us straight away that there will be at least 1 million reserved before the first M3 is delivered. Why? ...because reservations can obviously only come from the sector of the population that knows what Tesla is. And I can say with certainty, that sector will be at least 10 times more numerous come delivery of M3 xxxxx001.

Perhaps but I am not drawing exactly the same conclusions. If M3 is simply better value for money than an ICE vehicle it will go viral faster than anything can stop it. Will be like humanity discovering the secret of riding horses for the first time - except in the Internet era.

I do not think that Tesla will be at liberty (nor would it be at all wise) to disclose M3 reservation numbers beyond nice words like very strong or we have high confidence in meeting our targets - and they have cleverly set a precedent to avoid having to with S & X. Hint. I suggest it would be a good idea to strongly support a SCOTUS nominee that is assuredly not in the pockets of oil and auto.

I don't know what layout, what robots, what assembly line Toyota had at the Fremont plant. There is no reason for me to think that Tesla could not improve upon Toyota's efficiency and double the output from the same space. Perhaps 1 million cars/year is possible from the Fremont factory....

Elon has mentioned on several occasions that the Fremont factory is near full already. From what I understand they set up quite a bunch of office like spaces inside the factory itself. In addition Tesla is vastly more vertically integrated than anyone else. I don't know what the longer term plan is and if they will even build 500K cars in that factory.

In any case we shouldn't get caught up with this factory or it's capacity. No major automaker runs their entire business in one factory. Musk has clearly indicated interest in atlas opening up three more factories (one in Europe, one in Asia and another on east-coast). A solid model-3 reservation count will provide enough of a basis to set those plans in motion. That's the play here.

tl;dr: what they will do (or not do) within NUMMI specifically is largely irrelevant to long term shareholders.

I think it will be 50k reservations on the first day. Then 100k online the second day. Then like 20k per day for a long time. Which is still quite impressive! Let's not expect 500k the first day which is impossible. In fact the "store only" policy on the first day is the worst thing they could do if they wanted the largest numbers.

Edit: Yucky price action today. Lets hold the 200 day...

Reactions: FANGO
on topic: announcements about reservations

BTW

"A Tesla Spokesman" recently echoed something more or less word for word that I have been on about for months regards the Gigafactory.

Words to the effect that they will prove out the first module and take the expansion forwards with that learning under their belts and that this made more sense than the original idea to build out enormous amount of buildings.

My words: The idea to build out loads of buildings was to guard against permitting delays, but that does not seem to be a threat to the timeline in Nevada so they are able to focus instead on more important priorities - optimizing the process inside the buildings before designing the rest of the buildings around the process.

Perhaps but I am not drawing exactly the same conclusions. If M3 is simply better value for money than an ICE vehicle it will go viral faster than anything can stop it. Will be like humanity discovering the secret of riding horses for the first time - except in the Internet era.

I do not think that Tesla will be at liberty (nor would it be at all wise) to disclose M3 reservation numbers beyond nice words like very strong or we have high confidence in meeting our targets - and they have cleverly set a precedent to avoid having to with S & X. Hint. I suggest it would be a good idea to strongly support a SCOTUS nominee that is assuredly not in the pockets of oil and auto.

I agree on the value proposition (maybe easier from Europe where gasoline is so much more expensive) and on M3 demand going viral...to me its a no brainer if M3 is anything but ugly. Sorry if my words showed too much restraint there!

Where I am not yet with you, is on Musk using restraint of his own if reservation numbers are spectacular.

I think this is a watershed moment for the company. Last couple of years we shareholders have become acclimatised to a certain 'normal' (anything but normal compared to most companies!) pace of growth/progress in Tesla. I suggest the normal has basically been first gear. I think spectacular reservation numbers will give Musk the option to jump straight into third gear (forget 2nd gear, we will be leaving money on the table if we stay in second).

Now if you are an uber bull, what does that make me?:(
Am I a few standard deviations off the rails? A bit of a worry, because that would suggest I'm wrong.

this is why I never play TSLA short term, you can never predict the unexpected. I've tried using technical s/charts but even looking back at this weeks charts, I did not see "terrorist attack" on the chart nor did I see Oil dropping today on there. Does anyone have a chart that has all future events listed so I can make millions?

Yes, I already did in Jan. Pretty accurate too, if I didn't predict the extent of the downward path in Feb.

edit: (If I can figure out how to post an image...) Here is the exact same commentary with the actual price action updated:

Last edited:
Yes, I already did in Jan. Pretty accurate too, if I didn't predict the extent of the downward path in Feb.

edit: (If I can figure out how to post an image...) Here is the exact same commentary with the actual price action updated:

based on your chart, looks like all I need to do is go all in right now and sell in September then go live on a beach! I don't see any "Non Tesla" events on there, or when the next bear attack will start, when the next string of analysts will all release downgrades in a few day period like a couple months ago etc. I have zero concern about the medium to long term, it's the day to day, week to week that is a total crap shoot.

this is why I never play TSLA short term, you can never predict the unexpected. I've tried using technical s/charts but even looking back at this weeks charts, I did not see "terrorist attack" on the chart nor did I see Oil dropping today on there. Does anyone have a chart that has all future events listed so I can make millions?
In my view, oil above $40 is not sustainable on fundamentals. I've been warning people and explining how to hedge oil.

based on your chart, looks like all I need to do is go all in right now and sell in September then go live on a beach! I don't see any "Non Tesla" events on there, or when the next bear attack will start, when the next string of analysts will all release downgrades in a few day period like a couple months ago etc. I have zero concern about the medium to long term, it's the day to day, week to week that is a total crap shoot.

I am sorry? Presented as a visual representation of my predictions for the year, caveat emptor. Please post your prediction graph and we can compare and contrast.

The possibility or demand being this high is there, I agree on that. But I very much doubt it will translate to this many reservations. If the wait time is 3+ years to get a car people won't bother standing in line.

Reactions: FANGO
Status
Not open for further replies.