Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replace "rocket" with "cars" for a real tale from the future

Musk’s SpaceX, Once Pooh-Poohed, Is Wake-Up Call for Europeans

For France’s Le Gall, Europe’s contemptuous inability to take Musk seriously dates back years. He remembers a conference in Vietnam about a decade ago where the billionaire “showed up in torn jeans and with a plastic bag. He told us -- the chiefs of the three biggest rocket launchers worldwide -- I am here and your are dead. One of us replied: you talk, we launch. Had we known...”

I agree about Tesla's pro-active track record with safety concerns, and the efforts to distribute FUD re the suspension already by the usual suspects. that said, I'm not as confident as some that this is just a tweet away from blowing over, even if there really is nothing here. I say this because the NHTSA is involved. they've not decided to open a formal investigation, but they are looking at whether one is warranted. in that context, I don't see Elon as quick to shoot down FUD with a tweet as he has been with the likes of nonsense from the Wall Street Journal and others. if the NHTSA takes this seriously enough to review it (whether for rational reasons, or bureaucratic overdrive), I think Elon and Tesla will take it seriously enough not to comment on the issues under review. the fact that an NHTSA somewhat publicly rebuked Tesla's use of an NDA with a customer, in my view, just adds more reason Elon will handle this in a more conservative and grin and bear the NHTSA's process. of course, this is Elon... if he thinks the NHTSA is up to nonsense he will even speak out about their nonsense (IIRC, at one point, he spoke pretty candidly re his concerns about the NHTSA's head during the fire investigation).

I have no idea how long a review takes, but, I think the reality is, the FUD will not be aggressively responded to while it is ongoing.

nothing I'd remotely sell a long term share over... but, I'm rethinking my exit from some short-term shares I picked up in the last drop.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Blog post out, very good written imho:

A Grain of Salt

yes, it all read very well, but I particularly enjoyed this part,

"Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermayer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled “Tesla Death Watch,” which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla’s death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermayer’s words with at least a small grain of salt.

We don’t know if Mr. Niedermayer’s motivation is simply to set a world record for axe-grinding or whether he or his associates have something financial to gain by negatively affecting Tesla’s stock price, but it is important to highlight that there are several billion dollars in short sale bets against Tesla. This means that there is a strong financial incentive to greatly amplify minor issues and to create false issues from whole cloth."

wow, Elon.

let's hope the media that Elon generously referred to as "reputable institutions" live up to that compliment in their accuracy in conveying the content of the blog post.

I am of the opinion that Tesla and its fan base, as well as shareholders, are too nice towards the attackers that are pounding on Tesla. Sure, when we were still building the Model S and requires a lot of goodwill it was a necessity for survival.

Once Model 3 comes out, it'd benefit Tesla to become more evil and flexes its muscles more. Reputation needs to be defended first, but crushing those who actively seek to destroy Tesla is also necessary. If there are no precedence of this, the rest will see that as an opportunity to gain fame. Look at this little blog site that suddenly gets all these traffic because they defamed TSLA, a TSLA whose response is not aggressive due to the nature of its CEO and the nature of its mission based on hope.

We are doing this to save human's future and make money on the way, but are we really worth saving if this is the sort of response from the majority? One of the lesson I learned after coming back from my spiritual pursuit is that over a large quantity of people, you will 100% have a few bad apples. And bad apples tend to bunch together and mount an assault at the same time.

Whoever pulled in both Samsung and LG for new supplies of battery is the type of dark arts strategist that is necessary. It forces Panasonic to panic and shape up so that they will never be replaced. Ideally Tim Cook is the best at this role, but Tim Cook is apple at the moment.

Elon went at this more aggressively than I thought he would.

so much of the blog post was excellent, but reading what the NHTSA said,

“NHTSA is examining the potential suspension issue on the Tesla Model S, and is seeking additional information from vehicle owners and the company. NHTSA learn of Tesla’s troublesome nondisclosure agreement last month. The agency immediately informed Tesla that any language implying that consumers should not contact the agency regarding safety concerns is unacceptable, and NHTSA expects Tesla to eliminate any such language.”

and what Tesla wrote,

"Second, NHTSA has not opened any investigation nor has it even started a “preliminary evaluation,” which is the lowest form of formal investigatory work that it does. On April 20th, as part of what it has told us it considers “routine screening,” NHTSA informally asked us to provide information about our suspensions. On April 30th, we provided all relevant information to NHTSA. NHTSA has since told us that we have cooperated fully and that no further information is needed. Neither before nor after this information was provided has NHTSA identified any safety issue with Tesla’s suspensions. This can be confirmed with NHTSA."

either the NHTSA statement was rather sloppy in it's description, or Tesla and the NHTSA have different understandings of where the investigation is in terms of collecting data from Tesla. they also may not like Tesla's opening statement, "First, there is no safety defect with the suspensions in either the Model S or Model X." just saying, overall the blog is great... but some of it may have gone to the point that there will be some pushback from the NHTSA.

Reactions: schonelucht
I'm happy that tesla felt comfortable and proactive about defending themselves against the FUD crowd. Reminds me of the broder NYT defense a few years ago

yes. I think it's good that Anton, Speigel, Paulo, etc., know that there is a point that merely being a blogger is not a shield from being called out for having promoted falsehoods. perhaps like the NYT incident, Elon will follow this post with TV interviews to make sure the content of the companies response is accurately broadcasted.

yes. I think it's good that Anton, Speigel, Paulo, etc., know that there is a point that merely being a blogger is not a shield from being called out for having promoted falsehoods. perhaps like the NYT incident, Elon will follow this post with TV interviews to make sure the content of the companies response is accurately broadcasted.

Yep. I think it's important that we Tesla supporters and owners make sure the media picks up this Tesla Blog and writes accurately about it. Fortunately, the Blog is sensational enough in it's defense of the company that it will hopefully get picked up by a lot of media outlets tomorrow.

I agree it may be a nice "airtime" bonus if Elon decides to conduct an interview tomorrow to further expose tesla's response to the suspension-gate allegations. Also, would be a great opportunity to discuss the new 60kwh car

Reactions: Johan

Yes, I think this is a similar battle that Thiel has against Gawker. Hopefully it has a similar ending where Mr. Niedermeyer and the others who use blogs and social media rampantly to put forth FUD will get their day of retribution too

I love the response from Tesla, and I agree with Causalien that these idiot shorts/haters are doing actual damage to TSLA, at least short term, and I hope several people on this thread take the time to file a formal complaint with the SEC regarding the reporting of this issue by "the daily kanban" including the follow up "article" (it's not the crime it's the cover up). I know I will find the time to file such a complaint and it would be super interesting for the SEC to at least get the writer of the article and his associates to disclose their TSLA positions, if they have any.

• Love
Reactions: madodel
Elon went at this more aggressively than I thought he would.

so much of the blog post was excellent, but reading what the NHTSA said,

“NHTSA is examining the potential suspension issue on the Tesla Model S, and is seeking additional information from vehicle owners and the company. NHTSA learn of Tesla’s troublesome nondisclosure agreement last month. The agency immediately informed Tesla that any language implying that consumers should not contact the agency regarding safety concerns is unacceptable, and NHTSA expects Tesla to eliminate any such language.”

and what Tesla wrote,

"Second, NHTSA has not opened any investigation nor has it even started a “preliminary evaluation,” which is the lowest form of formal investigatory work that it does. On April 20th, as part of what it has told us it considers “routine screening,” NHTSA informally asked us to provide information about our suspensions. On April 30th, we provided all relevant information to NHTSA. NHTSA has since told us that we have cooperated fully and that no further information is needed. Neither before nor after this information was provided has NHTSA identified any safety issue with Tesla’s suspensions. This can be confirmed with NHTSA."

either the NHTSA statement was rather sloppy in it's description, or Tesla and the NHTSA have different understandings of where the investigation is in terms of collecting data from Tesla. they also may not like Tesla's opening statement, "First, there is no safety defect with the suspensions in either the Model S or Model X." just saying, overall the blog is great... but some of it may have gone to the point that there will be some pushback from the NHTSA.

The blog is FUD with many ifs to protect themselves from lawsuit.

The blog is FUD with many ifs to protect themselves from lawsuit.

Relevant is also that he published that article without even awaiting the response form the NHTSA.
"After this story was published, NHTSA Communications Director Brian Thomas told Daily Kanban:"

And referring to the Lemon Lawyer, even with a picture, is also quite telling. The writer is surely aware that that case involved fraud by the car owner.
When Life Gives You Lemons...

Edit: added last link.

Last edited:
Nice response TM. Thanks

Well, 'max pain' is at $227.50. I expect a heavy volume day with the struggle between bears and bulls.
I have no short term TSLA options so I will watch as an interested bull bystander.

I had the following association from your talk about bears and bulls, and being a bull bystander:

man-injured-in-running-of-the-bulls-despite-writing-guide-to-running-of-the-bulls.gif

I'm hoping we could bounce back in to the bull run that ran out of steam 2 days ago when, oh so conveniently, the "jointgate" news broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.