Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
now extract just those auto lines from each of those companies and then assess their value... BMW currently has a $40b market cap... how much of that value is the 3 series?... how much is the 7 series?

look at this thread from Dal pointing out the Paris show. basically "itty bitty citi" cars is most of the competition and not that soon either
Tesla BEV Competition Developments

Edit: I've ignored "myusername" rather than feeding the troll. I suggest others do likewise.

Well done, team Tesla!

Analyst price target raises should hit starting tomorrow (Derek where you at?). Additionally, we will see the media continue their slow realization that Q3 could be GAAP profitable, and the realization that production is already at a level to meet year end guidance. All they have left is "but..but the margins!" which is I think going to surprise to the upside as well.

The drumbeat continues upwards.

Last edited:
"However when you put it correctly, which is to say 25% more cars than expected"

you've just nailed it... 5k cars not only sounds small... IT IS SMALL... 5k cars as I pointed out yesterday is the equivalent of 4 hours of GM's production...

but when you say "They Sold 25% than Expected!!!"... now there's a headline... right?... as long as you don't compare Tesla to any other auto manufacturer... then Tesla is looking phenomenal!

Or perhaps you could think of this quarter as 7.5 years of record Lamborghini production. ;-)

Lamborghini sold a record 3,245 supercars last year

If we are pointing at useless data points, I think we can all find a few.

now extract just those auto lines from each of those companies and then assess their value... BMW currently has a $40b market cap... how much of that value is the 3 series?... how much is the 7 series?

Not going to!

What Tesla did is sucked air out of the top luxury sedans marketplace, with the best 100 year old companies looking helpless as the the rookie consumes their breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The 3 series, C Class and A4 are next.

I think you'll be well advised to increase your call based hedge, the omnipresent threat of earthquakes notwithstanding.

Highly likely. I don't see reasons otherwise.
The tell will be when the capital raise is announced. If it is prior to the financial
If Tesla was the size of these auto companies and grew 100% y/y... then yes... that would be stupid huge and would warrant 10x on PPS... but when you look at total sales... in 2015 BMW grew by more delivered vehicles than Tesla produced.
FWIW- This is not really the place to discuss or learn anything based on financial metrics. It is not even understood that capex doesn't directly impact net income, Gross margin is believed to be all important and the only reason the stock goes down is due to short sellers. It's more of an entertainment site and study in investor psychology.

my claim has never been that Tesla does not have demand within its current segment. i'm short because things like a typical price to sales for the auto industry is 0.5 and ALL auto companies fall in the range of 0.2 to 1.0... and Tesla trades between 6x and 8x price to sales... and if the stock rises... that only gets worse.

That's fine-- so your short thesis is based off of comps and P/(S?) ratio. That's fine. I was addressing the overarching theme that we have seen from short sellers of the past. Your rationale is fine and what makes sense to keep companies in check. But from my experience, comps don't work with companies that are still in the growth phase (that come with growing pains). You also can't compare it to traditional auto companies.

The GAAP/non -GAAP reconciliation appears at the end of the share holder letter:

"Our non-GAAP revenue and gross profit is determined by adding back the deferred revenue and related costs for cars sold with resale value guarantee and where we have collected, or will collect from a bank intermediary in a matter of days, the purchase price of the car in cash. For cars leased directly by Tesla, we recognize lease revenue and related costs over the lease term and the same way for both GAAP and non-GAAP purposes. Our non-GAAP expense and per share information also exclude non-cash interest expense [$31.8 million] and stock-based compensation. [$67.3 million]"

All this is up in the air depending on when Tesla implements the changes in FASB rules (See p 9 of the 10Q--Recent Accounting Pronouncements-{too long to paste})
So, it sounds like the only difference between GAAP and non-GAAP going forward is non cash interest and stock-based compensation? Hmm. Looks like we will be in that GAAP profitability area then. Need to crunch more numbers.

The problem with the whole Paris autoshow "itty bitty citi" cars, is that the majority of the automakers are still making the mistake of thinking that there is an "EV market" that is distinct from the market sectors they're already in.

There isn't. There is only a "SUV Market" or "Citi car market" or "Luxury Sedan market". EV's are not a distinct class of car from the form factor they mimic.

Tesla has figured this out. Everyone else hasn't. If you want to sell an EV, instead of an ICEV, you have to make it competitive on every metric. A Model S is cheaper to run, easier to maintain, seats 7, and can outperform any other large luxury sedan. Its compelling on its own merits independent of its powertrain. This is clearly evidenced by the Model S's market share in its segment -- its the best selling vehicle in its class by a hefty margin.

99% of buyers don't care what their car is powered by, as long as it gets them where they need to go, and meets their other use case and price point criteria. Some people want minivans and crossovers for their utility, others want sports cars for their performance. There is no one-size-fits-all approach, that's why we have many varied vehicle types, and even some that don't really fit into a class with others. The point is - EV buyers don't buy EV's solely because they're EV's. They buy them because they're the best car for the job.

Looks like efforts to beat back the SP after a nice open failed. Will be interesting to see whether we have a breakout day.

The increased short seller activity on this forum is clearly a bullish sign -- fear is a powerful motivator.

Absolutely, a last desperate attempt to protect short positions while they watch smarter traders cover their shorts first.

More useless data points: the other side of comparing Tesla to GM: Ferrari makes 9000 cars/year and is worth $9B (both numbers give or take a little). 1 million per car. Tesla at 10x ferrari production should be worth 10x that aka $90B.
Plus you'll have to drive in series with the ferrari if you have more than one kid to take to school...

Looks like efforts to beat back the SP after a nice open failed. Will be interesting to see whether we have a breakout day.

The increased short seller activity on this forum is clearly a bullish sign -- fear is a powerful motivator.
Really just the one guy with the username. He can always dump that. Harder to get out of a short position - and painful. Thus the FEAR! The uncertainty and doubt are probably devalued now.

• Funny
Reactions: BornToFly
Or perhaps you could think of this quarter as 7.5 years of record Lamborghini production. ;-)

Lamborghini sold a record 3,245 supercars last year

If we are pointing at useless data points, I think we can all find a few.
And when Tesla is delivering 500,000 Teslas a year some new troll will be ranting about why they don't have 100% growth any more and they are "doomed". This was a great quarter and only a genuine troll/shill would be trying to spin this as bad.

What is truly interesting is how the old trolls just disappear and new ones pop up. Not talking about genuine shorts, but these spinning trolls.
tumblr_m8ggcemZjO1rd4t19o1_500.gif

What happens to these guys when they fail? I miss Srini Disliking all honest posts. At least he was different.

Status
Not open for further replies.