Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be concerned about occupant privacy with the interior camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon to be owner here (delivery scheduled for Saturday). Having read the owners manual, I noticed that the car has an interior camera viewing the occupants of the car. They proclaim that it's disabled currently, but does this concern anyone else? If my understanding is correct, they're already collecting all exterior camera information in real time from the entire fleet, so pardon me if I'm leaning towards putting a piece of tape or something over the interior camera lens. I really would rather not be watched while I'm driving the car.

Anyone else thought about this?

• Disagree
Reactions: cwmagui and Autumn
If you put a piece of tape over your laptop’s camera, and over your Amazon devices’ mic, and over any other internet-connected camera or mic in your house, then sure. Knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.

If someone (gov’t, hackers, etc.) REALLY wants to watch and listen to you, there are many ways for them to do it. Tesla, and the interior camera on the Model 3, are the least of your concerns.

If you put a piece of tape over your laptop’s camera, and over your Amazon devices’ mic, and over any other internet-connected camera or mic in your house, then sure. Knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.

Okay, I guess. I mean, yeah, I do do those things. Maybe not all of them, but most. Primarily because I'm good friends with people that work for the NSA and they do those things. But also because of stuff like this: Amazon sent 1,700 Alexa voice recordings to the wrong user following data request Even a company as dogmatically altruistic as Tesla can have spiteful employees, or have employees that make mistakes

Granted, it's not the end of the world if some folks at Tesla or somewhere else watch me and my kids chat as I take them to school in the morning, and it's not like I'm stepping out on my wife or having sex in the car (that's been awhile!), but I'd still rather avoid the exposure if I can.

If someone (gov’t, hackers, etc.) REALLY wants to watch and listen to you, there are many ways for them to do it. Tesla, and the interior camera on the Model 3, are the least of your concerns.

Sorry, but this is not a good argument. Just because there are other avenues that may be used to gain the same information, doesn't mean this one doesn't present more risk than those others alone (whether significant or not). It's like saying "well, I'm not going to bother to lock my doors, because if someone really wanted to get in my home or car, they could anyway"

I guess it's good most folks aren't bothered by it.

Reactions: MrABRanch
I'm not one to cover camera's anywhere else, but the interior cam did weird me out a bit for some reason. A status light or any kind of transparency or published privacy policy would make me feel better. For now, I found one of those little slider covers on Amazon that's a really good match.

IMG_20190423_193802.jpg

I'm not one to cover camera's anywhere else, but the interior cam did weird me out a bit for some reason. A status light or any kind of transparency or published privacy policy would make me feel better. For now, I found one of those little slider covers on Amazon that's a really good match.

View attachment 408522

Good idea, thanks. Do you have a product link to what you're talking about? For some reason I'm getting an error when I try to view your attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_193802.jpg
    IMG_20190423_193802.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 164
Okay, I guess. I mean, yeah, I do do those things. Maybe not all of them, but most. Primarily because I'm good friends with people that work for the NSA and they do those things. But also because of stuff like this: Amazon sent 1,700 Alexa voice recordings to the wrong user following data request Even a company as dogmatically altruistic as Tesla can have spiteful employees, or have employees that make mistakes

Granted, it's not the end of the world if some folks at Tesla or somewhere else watch me and my kids chat as I take them to school in the morning, and it's not like I'm stepping out on my wife or having sex in the car (that's been awhile!), but I'd still rather avoid the exposure if I can.

Sorry, but this is not a good argument. Just because there are other avenues that may be used to gain the same information, doesn't mean this one doesn't present more risk than those others alone (whether significant or not). It's like saying "well, I'm not going to bother to lock my doors, because if someone really wanted to get in my home or car, they could anyway"

I guess it's good most folks aren't bothered by it.

Ok, since you DO do those things, then I don’t see why you’d leave out the interior cam. Easy enough to cover it.

Personally, I too am aware of all the nefarious things that could be done by NSA/other agencies, but it’s too deep a rabbit hole to go down for me. My take is if “they” want to waste time to watch my boring life, go right ahead. Nothing even remotely interesting to see here.

As far as the door-locking analogy, I’d say the interior cam is the third-story window. From an exposure perspective, the GPS location of your vehicle is far more interesting than a video of you picking your nose while driving. :)

As it has been mentioned in other replies, Tesla says it is disabled currently. And as it has been sald also: your cell phone has cameras and you take that to your restroom. if you have a tablet, that also has cameras. If you have a laptop that also, more than likely has cameras.
It is your car,, feel free to put a little piece of tape over that camera if that brings you comfort.
I do have tape over my laptop's camera, but that's just because I don't trust my employer LOL

Just to feed your paranoia a little more: the car also has microphones, aren't you worried on top of video, they also have audio?