Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be concerned about occupant privacy with the interior camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off the cellular data requirements to live stream the interior camera would be very limited. Why would a spy agency really want to stream video from the interior of a car... GPS tracking of a car is probably much more useful. Perhaps a still frame from the inside camera to see what suspects are in the vehicle...

I consider myself as someone who is cautious about these things. I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network. I take great precautions with technology that records things like audio and video. It seems people put forward two arguments:

1. There are a lot of other devices with cameras and mics that can be hacked or are actively recording you.
2. Don't worry about privacy because no one is interested in any of your banal activities.

#2 is really amazing, because it lets people just casually discard privacy rights of others because they don't consider them important. Thanks, but no thanks. If you want to broadcast your life, do it openly but don't give mine up too.

#1 is more interesting, because some of us intentionally make purchases based on the premise that we are buying things that do not spy on us or leak our private activities. For example, I will not allow an Alexa or Google Home device in my house.

If Tesla ever activates that camera without informing owners, it's going to have some pretty big legal issues - criminal, not just civil, in many jurisdictions. And if a third party like an insurance provider tries to use illegally recorded things then hopefully a court will do its job by blocking it.

Reactions: Neon001
If Tesla ever activates that camera without informing owners, it's going to have some pretty big legal issues - criminal, not just civil, in many jurisdictions. And if a third party like an insurance provider tries to use illegally recorded things then hopefully a court will do its job by blocking it.
But just like Alexa, Google Home, your TV, etc. The EUSAs that they require you to agree to in order to use the product allow them to grab audio, video, etc to enhance their services, etc, etc. All of these companies are using user data to train their systems and selling whatever they want to 3rd parties.

Tesla knows everything about your car all the time. Where it is, the position of all controls, number and weights of occupants, you name it. To block this info (disconnecting the GPS and/or cellular antenna) would dramatically change how we use the car. So you have to trust Tesla if you're going to buy one of their cars.

By all means tape over the camera. But the only real solution to this is for regulatory control over how this data is used and how the company must notify and/or get your permission.

Another option would be for companies to have another way to support the service. For example, I would pay some decent amount of money each month for Facebook if they had absolutely no access to any of my data on their site. They could offer that as a premium service and then still have the free version where they sold your data. But I'm getting off on a tangent.

Reactions: doghousePVD
#1 is more interesting, because some of us intentionally make purchases based on the premise that we are buying things that do not spy on us or leak our private activities. For example, I will not allow an Alexa or Google Home device in my house.
I won't allow it in my house either.

But just like Alexa, Google Home, your TV, etc. The EUSAs that they require you to agree to in order to use the product allow them to grab audio, video, etc to enhance their services, etc, etc. All of these companies are using user data to train their systems and selling whatever they want to 3rd parties.
Don't trust Google or Amazon enough to allow a mic or camera of theirs in my house.
You know that silly fear about Alexa recording everything and leaking it online? It just happened

Another option would be for companies to have another way to support the service. For example, I would pay some decent amount of money each month for Facebook if they had absolutely no access to any of my data on their site. They could offer that as a premium service and then still have the free version where they sold your data. But I'm getting off on a tangent.

Lots of folks would like this option, but it would crash the value of the companies - subscriptions can be canceled, data cannot.

Interesting about not being able to limit the ability of what Tesla records - could have implications for certain types of lawyers, and doctors...

Soon to be owner here (delivery scheduled for Saturday). Having read the owners manual, I noticed that the car has an interior camera viewing the occupants of the car. They proclaim that it's disabled currently, but does this concern anyone else? If my understanding is correct, they're already collecting all exterior camera information in real time from the entire fleet, so pardon me if I'm leaning towards putting a piece of tape or something over the interior camera lens. I really would rather not be watched while I'm driving the car.

Anyone else thought about this?

The camera doesn't concern me at all. My understanding of it is that it's there for US to use, not Tesla. So that when our cars can be used as "robo taxis" we can check in on our fares.

Soon to be owner here (delivery scheduled for Saturday). Having read the owners manual, I noticed that the car has an interior camera viewing the occupants of the car. They proclaim that it's disabled currently, but does this concern anyone else? If my understanding is correct, they're already collecting all exterior camera information in real time from the entire fleet, so pardon me if I'm leaning towards putting a piece of tape or something over the interior camera lens. I really would rather not be watched while I'm driving the car.

Better cover that glass roof while you're at it. The government has satellites too. And, didn't Space X just launch one the other day?

• Funny
Reactions: Runebane

I thought the interor camera was to look at the driver's face, only. This is needed for full handsfree driving. At the Tesla Club meeting held in Sparks, NV a few years ago, an MIT speaker presented his work in looking at faces while driving, determining sleepy people, drunk people and other reasons to disconnect the auto drive feature. I think that is a good thing

I thought the interor camera was to look at the driver's face, only. This is needed for full handsfree driving. At the Tesla Club meeting held in Sparks, NV a few years ago, an MIT speaker presented his work in looking at faces while driving, determining sleepy people, drunk people and other reasons to disconnect the auto drive feature. I think that is a good thing

Size, location, and type of camera is simply awful for that purpose, so nope.

It's there for when the robotaxi thing happens to keep an eye on riders.

Musk confirmed this last month-

Elon Musk explains the camera inside Tesla’s Model 3

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has clarified that a camera located above the Model 3’s rear-view mirror is there for when the car will eventually be able to work as an autonomous taxi. “It’s there for when we start competing with Uber/Lyft,” the CEO wrote on Twitter in response to someone raising privacy concerns about the camera. “In case someone messes up your car, you can check the video.”