Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy CHAdeMO adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one and it’s been useful. Although Superchargers are more prolific than they were when I purchased it in 2015, I still use it on occassion. Prior to COVID 19, I had days where I had a lot of metro area trips where diverting to a Supercharger wasn’t convenient vs going to one of several EvGo chargers near me.

in a word - Yes

Its more for piece of mind, a safety valve of sorts- even though it's expensive, we've had an occasion to use ours when the supercharger network didn't reach - not as much of an issue anymore, but with the EV chargers at a bunch of Walmarts, it would make sense to have it just in case. Likewise at least buy the 14-50 adapter for your UMC- that way an RV park can rescue you in a pinch. Had to do that once too. Supercharger station was completely down and I didn't have enough charge to make it to the next Supercharger- Again this was in the early days. but still good advice, like the boy scouts used to say " be prepared" I also have a 12AWG 120V extension cord, that way I can get 3MPH if I'm really desperate.

I bought my Chademo adapter a month before I received my car.. However, in my case it was mostly because of a ton of free Chademo chargers in my area. Of course, it's a good idea to have it just in case I ever have to travel to an area with less than perfect Supercharger coverage.. It's bulky but fits perfect in the shallow sub trunk right behind the rear seats. That's where I keep all my accessories like Tesla pucks, 12 V air compressor, tire repair kit, scissor jack etc..
BTW, price is $400, not $450 but not in stock right now..

Same thinking as others: get one if you’re in a Supercharger wasteland or driving through one, otherwise it is unnecessary. These wastelands are rapidly becoming extinct, at least in the US.

That said, at least two Tesla Owners Clubs near me have loaner units for their membership. If you can avail yourself of something like that, you’ll save the cost of the adapter, won’t need to carry the cumbersome thing about all the time, and you’ll have a bunch of new and wonderful friends.

Same thinking as others: get one if you’re in a Supercharger wasteland or driving through one, otherwise it is unnecessary. These wastelands are rapidly becoming extinct, at least in the US.

That said, at least two Tesla Owners Clubs near me have loaner units for their membership. If you can avail yourself of something like that, you’ll save the cost of the adapter, won’t need to carry the cumbersome thing about all the time, and you’ll have a bunch of new and wonderful friends.
US less Alaska.. No Superchargers in all of Alaska...

US less Alaska.. No Superchargers in all of Alaska...
Oooh, so close though. Construction has started.

Oooh, so close though. Construction has started.
Great to know!! Awesome!!