Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy FSD before Nov 11, 2019, price hike? [Update: OP did not buy FSD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) how long do you plan on keeping the car?
2) how confident are you in the promise that true FSD will be approved by regulators within the next year(s) ?

if you only plan on keeping the car for 3-4 years and are somewhat skeptical that true FSD is ready within that timeframe ... then it makes zero sense to pay good $$$ for a feature which won't even be available for the time of your ownership...

Surgeon here... not sure you should be buying a tesla at all. Are you taking out student loans when you start medical school or are your parents paying your way through medical school? If you are taking out loans you are insane to take out any sort of a loan for a car.
Top choice school is USUHS so wouldn't need any loans, however if I do go to another school my parents will be covering 50%. For the car itself however my parents will be paying the full thing.

Just picked up my 2020 Model S Long Range Raven this week.
FSD tried to side-swipe two times over 3 days - once on on-ramp, the other when two cars changing lanes. I need to be MORE vigilant using FSD. Turning off now and deciding to return car to get different one without crazy FSD.
Do NOT recommend buying any FSD or other Tesla 'option' unless its proven working before purchase - save the $7K and use it wisely elsewhere. My estimate is this will not be fully self driving (in the literal sense) or worth the cost.

PS Autopilot on our 2016 Model X and this S work fine - good feature, and present on other ICE cars, so not really distinguishing. I just like electric.

Reactions: tvad
FSD isn't ready, so no sense in buying it. Don't worry about Tesla claiming the price of FSD will only go up, that's just a scare tactic. If no one falls for it, FSD will go on sale before long.

Many people already “fell for it”, and many more will continue. That means there will be no sale. Tesla was very capable to sell something well ahead (years) before delivering it. Now being able to show *something* will only increase the trend.

thanks everyone for the replies, realized I won't be making the purchase! Guess I'll have to wait a few more years as I won't have a job for another 7-8 years till I finish med school/residency. Once again I appreciate the responses, put me in my place lol
Nobody “put you in your place.” They just want to give you good advice.

With declining reimbursement, private equity devouring private practices, rumblings about Medicare for All and continued rising debt for medical graduates, money management will be critical for you. That’s true whether somebody is paying your tuition or not. Based on your question I’m guessing that you could benefit from some reading. I read Personal Finance for Dummies 25 years ago and I believe that it is still relevant. You might want to check out the White Coat Investors blog, too. Best wishes.

Anybody in my shoes, back then, would have been best off putting their savings in a low expense ratio index stock fund (Vanguard, Fidelity) and just sitting on it through the ups and downs of the market, after paying off any student loans. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: tvad