Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should I not get the South Korean CCS1 combo adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Precisely, I'm at Erie Canal Center every Tuesday evening. It's at least a 15 minute drive to the Tesla supercharger north of Syracuse in Liverpool, NY, (opposite direction from my southward drive home) and it's an old 120 kW charger. When the Tesla charger is busy, I get 60 kW charging, which is fine in a pinch, but part of a big time kill.

Great news to hear that Destiny Mall in Syracuse will get a Tesla charger.

I've placed my order for the CCS1 adapter. Then as you all suggested, I'll sell the Chademo adapter while there's still a market for it and be way better off! Thanks, everyone!
--JS

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to avoid going off route if you can. Even 6 miles if that is what it is. If the OP want to reduce range anxiety, or avoid off route, or just plain rationalize another toy for his tesla, fine by me.

I bought it for flexibility. Especially for driving from central NJ here to Denver to see my daughter. Bought it even though ABRP indicates the worst SC gap along the mostly I-70 route is about 114 miles.

It works pretty well in the one test I've given it. Starting with a 33 SOC on a 150kw stall I got a high of 124. No regrets here

Bought it and I'm glad I did. I got it from Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter & CHAdeMO Adapter

Reactions: TunaBug and Genie
Precisely, I'm at Erie Canal Center every Tuesday evening. It's at least a 15 minute drive to the Tesla supercharger north of Syracuse in Liverpool, NY, (opposite direction from my southward drive home) and it's an old 120 kW charger. When the Tesla charger is busy, I get 60 kW charging, which is fine in a pinch, but part of a big time kill.

Great news to hear that Destiny Mall in Syracuse will get a Tesla charger.

I've placed my order for the CCS1 adapter. Then as you all suggested, I'll sell the Chademo adapter while there's still a market for it and be way better off! Thanks, everyone!
--JS
I won’t completely side with Rocky on this one because I’m sure I’d be struck down with lightning (if youve followed any of our past spats you’d be laughing right now), but you keep saying things that don’t pencil out in the real world. You say old 120 kw chargers. To me this means you don’t understand how Superchargers really work. That’s V2. To only get 60 when someone else is plugged in, it means both of you need to be low enough soc to be above the taper at that moment. Also, based on your story, you are at about 50% when you would need to charge so you will never see 120kw and likely you are seeing 60kw not because you are sharing, but because that’s where you are on the taper of older V2 combined with battery temps from sitting while visiting, etc. It drops pretty quickly above 30% soc. Even on V3 there isn’t much difference above 50%. Maybe 20kw which doesn’t equate to much difference in real world time spent charging. For V3 to make a difference over V2 you need to be below 20%. Also of note, this taper is controlled by the car, not the charger. So you’d see a similar taper at EA. All 3 are identical past 65% soc with EA and V3 almost the same once you hit 40%.

In your example, if you are at 50% and need to top off to get home, maybe to 75% then on V2 that would take about 15 minutes according to this test. The same top off on V3 is 12 minutes and EA is 11 minutes. So a 4 minute time saving for you.

1656904584591.png

1656904688642.png

(According to insideevs, the V3 test delivered 75kwh while the EA one only delivered 70kwh. So that is why it finished first. 5kwh equates to about 7% so they would likely finish about the same even with V3 topping out at 250kw and EA at 184kw.)

I also second charging while visiting your family. Chili’s has a free L2 charger and there’s 2 free ones at a nearby radiator shop. 3 hours at 6kw will get you the same 25%. Saves a drove across town and $8 each time you fast charge.

Also, to add in the last cost, time, your $300 adapter is spread across 30 minutes each time you charge. Over the course of a year, if you do this 52 times a year then it would work out much in your favor. $6 per use would be paid off in a year. That’s $12/hr for a year then free. In that aspect, it makes sense if the other options (free charging) don’t work for you.

At the end of the day, you sound like you had already decided to get the adapter so do it without posting on here. Unless you enjoy getting second guessed by random assholes like me and rocky then bring it on 😉.

Cheers!

Reactions: ambudriver03
Looking at those graphs it seems like there is no advantage from V3 vs CCS 350kw, seems like CCS is slightly faster.
It is only slightly faster because it delivered 5 kwh less than the V3. If you take that into account they are the same. My point being that a full charge is car taper limited, not charger power limited once you go above 120kw. And even then it’s a matter of 7 minutes longer. 10%. What it does show is V3 is faster 5-30% so with short quick charges (6-7 minutes) you could get 100% equivalent charge in 25 minutes (with 4 short stops) vs over an hour for 0-100%. Obviously this doesn’t take into account the time to get to and from the charger but it will be the number people use to say it is faster than a lower power charger. It’s why the majority of people who supercharge shouldn’t worry about V2 vs V3. Unless you are playing the 0-50% game, it doesn’t make a difference.

I ordered 7/2/22 and I got mine on Wednesday. I used it three times at a volta fast charge that's rated at 50kwh. It charged about 39kw and I think it was lower because my battery wasn't conditioned and I already had 60% left and was charging to 90%.
My very first test charge on my ccs, was also at a Volta charger, similar charge rate as yours for similar SoC (sorta).

Screenshot_20220718-223155_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220718-223405_Chrome.jpg

I ordered 7/2/22 and I got mine on Wednesday. I used it three times at a volta fast charge that's rated at 50kwh. It charged about 39kw and I think it was lower because my battery wasn't conditioned and I already had 60% left and was charging to 90%.
I got mine yesterday and will be trying it out at an EA station this weekend. It's a 150/350 station so will have to see what is available.

Reactions: Genie
Have heard that Tesla is stopping the sale of the CCS1 to Tesla adapter sales from North Korea. Not sure if true, they are not available unless you're willing to spend big money on eBay.

There is a North America company bringing a CCS1 to Tesla adapter to market. The company is in Canada. Called A2Z EV CCS1 adapter. They say the first batch will ship out early August. Price is around $300 depends on that days exchange rate. I'm not associated with the company but have one on order. Our model 3 is CCS adapter enabled. Want for extra security on road trips.

For the life of me, don't understand why Tesla isn't selling this adapter on their app. They should also sell an installed package for cars that are not currently enabled. Similar to how they sell the garage door opener.

Have heard that Tesla is stopping the sale of the CCS1 to Tesla adapter sales from North Korea. Not sure if true, they are not available unless you're willing to spend big money on eBay.

There is a North America company bringing a CCS1 to Tesla adapter to market. The company is in Canada. Called A2Z EV CCS1 adapter. They say the first batch will ship out early August. Price is around $300 depends on that days exchange rate. I'm not associated with the company but have one on order. Our model 3 is CCS adapter enabled. Want for extra security on road trips.

For the life of me, don't understand why Tesla isn't selling this adapter on their app. They should also sell an installed package for cars that are not currently enabled. Similar to how they sell the garage door opener.
Don't think so, I just think they figured out how to detect orders from people intending to export out of Korea and blocked them. If you go to the listing on the Korean store, it's still up an available. Tesla Korea Store Link: CCS 콤보 1 어댑터

Running the page through Google translate, it shows that there is a blurb about how only one adapter is allowed per account and ordering 2 or more may cause the order to be canceled. I think Tesla has figured out a way to stop the people supplying the adapters for export from getting a hold of them, at least as easily as they were before.