Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order now or wait until after the April 22 FSD showcase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One has nothing to do with the other... (nor am I clear why 5G would be required at all here- the amount of data self driving cars routinely would pass is relatively small, well within LTE/4G speeds...the only thing 5G would be useful for would be if you want to remotely drive a car over a network where ultralow latency is vital, which is not at all the model Tesla is using)...
Autonomous Cars Won't Work - Until We Have 5G

Will 5G be necessary for self-driving cars?

Could 5G Be the Missing Puzzle Piece for Self-Driving Cars?

Apparently you didn't bother to actually read any of those past the headline?

From the first link-

YOUR source said:
Autonomous cars will become a reality, but it won’t happen until 5G data networks are ubiquitous. The current 4G network is fast enough for us to share status updates or request rides, but it doesn’t have the capability to give cars the human-like reflexes that might have prevented the Uber accident.

This is nonsensical. A Tesla doesn't use the "network" at all to make driving decisions.

Even in the Uber car the "network" had nothing, at all, to do with the accident.

All local decisions are handled locally- no network needed.

It's an author who has no actual understanding of the topic they're trying to write about.

Next link?

YOUR source said:
Imagine a scenario where Car A is travelling down a highway at 80mph. Suddenly, Car B pulls out in front of Car A.

To avoid an accident, the sensors on both cars would need to talk to each other

This, too, makes little sense.

If each car is equiped for L5 driving they need not talk at all their own sensors would see what each other are doing (and of course know what they themselves are doing) and react accordingly.

Vehicle-to-vehicle is a nice idea, but given you couldn't get 100% of cars on the road capable of it for decades at the least, it's hardly "required" for a car to be self driving. Humans in cars don't "talk" to other drivers and somehow they manage.

Third link?

YOUR source said:
Cellular-V2X (vehicle-to-everything) is a developing communication platform that leverages LTE and, in the future, 5G communications. C-V2X provides an integrated solution for vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V), vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I), and vehicle-to-network (V2N) using cellular networks.

Again they're discussing V2V... something that's so early in development your own link mentions there's multiple competing standards right now that haven't even been settled yet...

And which has nothing whatsoever to do with Teslas method of enabling self driving vehicles- which is to simply make the car you are in drive itself better than a human using vision and radar and its own onboard systems. No 5G required.[/QUOTE]

Know it's early in development but....can HW3.0 hardware be upgraded to 5G?

While still evolving 5G is going to offer lots of networking and data advantages for self driving cars. It may very well end up being a mandated requirement once certain systems and protocols for self driving are developed.
There are some potentially very interesting applications for low-latency communications in autonomous cars (e.g. cloud-processing augmenting the car's onboard processing, V2V communications, real-time mapping of obstacles, human remote driving if the car gets stuck), but it will take years until there is ubiquitous 5G connectivity even along major highways (the initial rollout focuses on urban areas). It is highly unlikely that it will become mandatory during the life-cycle of currently sold cars.

Reactions: electrictorque
And that HW4 is coming in 2 years and will be at least 3x faster than HW3.... kinda curious if HW3 supposedly allows feature-complete FSD why they need a 3x faster one... guessing it'll be explained as something like "We think HW3 can be 5x safer than humans" (or whatever # they pick) and HW4 will be 10x safer by running even larger/more advanced NNs

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
anyone have a referral code that they want me to use?
chillerjt, you and I are thinking alike regarding waiting to purchase but still wanting to purchase before May 1st. I have gone back and forth between the Performance and Dual Motor with FSD, and decided the FSD will ultimately be more beneficial, as opposed to the extra second gained in 0-60. The Dual Motor is already substantially faster than my old 2006 M3 (which I loved), so I can't really be disappointed in the DM performance capabilities. I think I will wait until after tomorrow's earnings to place my order, just in case. I have a friend who has given me his referral code so that we both get 1000 miles of supercharging. If you want the code, just PM me.