Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order online or through OA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a great question. I haven't ordered yet, but when I do, I'll order at my local Store/Service Center, and here's why:
- It will probably feel more special, although ordering a $100k electric car in your PJs might feel "special" too
- I can weigh and discuss various options real-time with OA. I'm savvy enough to know that there's some up-selling, but I can resist (most) of the urges to upgrade. It's not going to be anything close to the stressful, high pressure experience of an old-school dealership
- You're able to make last minute decisions by seat of the pants feel, literally
- FWIW, you're developing a relationship with your local SC (depending where you live?)
- You might get a hint about an impending change that could affect your order

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
From a compensation standpoint, I think you're tied to that OA no matter where you place the order. Just make sure to use someone's referral code/link for the $1k off.

It's not a bad thing to have a good relationship with the OA, but ordering with or through the OA probably isn't necessary. I had a pretty big misunderstanding that the OA ended up resolving with some money back from Tesla.

As a side perk, he's given my referral code/link to another buyer he worked with locally. If I get another one between now and June 15, I'll get some swag. PM me if you want to use mine.

I can tell you from experience, I loved my OA I thought he was super helpful so as a good citizen I went to the store as I wanted to make sure he was compensated. We literally logged into my mytesla account, picked the options, and submitted my payment just as if I were at home.

So short answer, it doesn't matter, just order from home. From the moment you handed any information about yourself to them you've been tied to your OA.

For some without a showroom nearby it's the only way. However I always think getting to know the Tesla staff is a nice thing. Both for you and them putting a face to a name. Same goes for the service center folks as they will be the ones treating your car. Everyone appreciates being remembered by name so we try to give a personal hello when we're back in. We've had very positive experiences with the guys at our delivery location and where hubby ordered his car from. He could have ordered it online but some how this is just a better experience. I also will stand in the cash register lines where "real" people are instead of the self-serve LOL.

I guess if you ever run into a problem and need some help if you have some rapport with the Tesla staff you at least have someone who knows you to turn to as a first resource.

Stopping by the showroom was also nice to revisit in person the various options before spending so much money on a car. We only did one test drive, which sold the car, but probably spent more time weighing all the options. Sat in cars with all 3 roofs (now only 2), different seat material and interior colors just to be sure we wouldn't have any regrets come Day 8 or on delivery day.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIL
I'm nearly ready to take the plunge on a new 75D. :D Should I order online or work through the OA that took me on the test drive?

FWIW, I used an OA. You're still doing it online but it's kinda cool to check out the options real time in the gallery before placing the order. In the end, whatever you do, you'd be happy with it.

If you're considering placing an order and would like $1000 off the purchase, use my referral link here: Referral | Tesla or mention the referral code de3185 to your OA. Thanks!

I used an OA because I wanted a showroom model and had lots of questions I wanted answered in person. She has been helping me and so has the manager and it has been an awesome experience. I am able to text or call them whenever for updates and the support. While I could have done it online, I still like the experience if dealing with someone when buying a car.

Use an OA. We had some nice conversations, and a memorable experience. When I needed a last minute question answered, I called his cellphone and he remembered me right away, which was nice. Sure you will still end up with the same car at the end, but it's nice to put a face to a name. Plus you might get some free swag!

Ask your OA, esp if they have been helpful. Let them know your ready to order and want to make sure they can get credit for your sale. It's kinda fun to click the order button yourself. From what I can tell, they attach names to orders pretty quickly. It doesn't matter if they take the order in person or online.

And of course, use my code :)

Technically ordering either way is the same, OA will just be ordering it online with you anyhow. But use the OA and get to know him/her. Mine was very helpful, informative and patient through my several month decision process, even arranging a 2nd (overnight) test drive to help me make the final decision. He also kept me informed of upcoming price increases (due to C$/U$ exchange rate) and other upcoming changes, and even some inventory cars he thought might have been of interest to me - but without trying to pressure me to buy.

Kept in touch with him afterwards too, and later got a free Tesla jacket from him after a couple of my friends took test drives and one of them eventually bought an MS (he took even longer time and more test drives than me to decide, but I think my input helped..)

Oh and @rpm001 you probably already know, but since you're in Toronto, if you use a referral link when you order you'll get C$1200 off (not $1000) - it won't matter whose code you use or where they're from, the referral code to you will always be C$1200. But when you get to that point, why not use a code from a friendly fellow Canadian? ;) Feel free to ask

I'm nearly ready to take the plunge on a new 75D. :D Should I order online or work through the OA that took me on the test drive?
Why not do both? That is what I did. I got the website on my screen and then called the OA. I had him talk me through the process. In hindsight I could have done it without help, but it is a little less stressful to have someone on hand in the event of a question and hopefully he gets credit for the sale. And I could do it from home.

If you've gone to the local store and know exactly what you want, just do it online. The same of your sales rep is already tied to your visit so they're tied to your purchase, in case you have any questions. My OA told me the same and did not ask me to come in as he saw NO benefit of coming in and ordering. Just do it online!

netflix-the-oa.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Olds442
If you've gone to the local store and know exactly what you want, just do it online. The same of your sales rep is already tied to your visit so they're tied to your purchase, in case you have any questions. My OA told me the same and did not ask me to come in as he saw NO benefit of coming in and ordering. Just do it online!
Except that OA can see more than you can online. There are cars only they can see in the Tesla system. So there might be one that is available in production or is pre production that matches your choices. That’s how I’m getting mine. Instead of waiting until June I get mine this month. I had originally ordered feb 26.