Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I pull the trigger?

Should I upgrade my 2021 M3P to a 2024 M3P?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not that slow - it's the difference of maybe 100-200ms to get the camera feed up to 50ms on newer cars. It makes a difference for the usability of the repeater camera for blind spot monitoring while changing lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I'm thinking of trading in my current 2021 M3P for the 2024 M3P. I'm hoping to get some feedback from my fellow Tesla owners. My M3P has 30k on it, no accidents, dents dings...VERY clean with a full winter set up of wheels and tires. I owe about $29k with a rate of 2.49%, less than three years left on the loan. I have a black on white which I really love. In order to qualify for the $7,500 I need to either go stealth grey on white or black on black (I would most likely go black on black even though grey helps hide paint defects). I just put new rubber on the car (of course). Tesla is offering me $28k for the trade (not a hard number yet) which makes the trade in a wash. My payments will be within a few dollars of each other though I'll pay more in interest overall. I like the ventilated seats and the new front end. Not sure if the battery pack is the same as my existing one, HP seems to be the same? Am I stupid for considering this?
Tesla offered me $23k for my 2022 Model 3 Performance with 26k miles on it. They said it couldn’t have aftermarket wheels on it if I wanted to get a reasonable offer.

Interesting. Maybe it's because I don't use the browser, so I don't notice. My backup cam seems quick enough though.

My model 3 has the atom processor, my wifes model Y has the amd. Things like web browsing and such are noticeably slower in my model 3 but not so slow as to be unusable.

I notice it more when I swap from car to car and use anything like that (like loading up youtube / youtube TV while waiting in the car for my wife at a doctors appointment or while she runs into a store or something).

Regular usage of the car (like backup camera for example) I see no difference.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: KenC and mpgxsvcd
My 2021 Model 3LR (picked up Dec 2020) has 55k miles and feels like a brand new car. Can't even imagine thinking about trading it in.

I *would* like vented seats, but not for $30k, loss of USS and stalks. Truly, I don't think I'll even buy another Tesla without stalks. I don't like the idea of losing USS either, but could survive without it. I've driven the stalkless and it's not for me.
Stalks are coming my friend…

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and mpgxsvcd
It's not that slow - it's the difference of maybe 100-200ms to get the camera feed up to 50ms on newer cars. It makes a difference for the usability of the repeater camera for blind spot monitoring while changing lanes.
Okay, I'm still confused. Your repeater cams are not very usable to watch your blind spot?

I mentioned it in another post, recently, but I found my rear cam and repeater cams have improved over time. I assumed it was software updates. My frame rate used to be lousy, seeming like 5fps, but now, they're good. They seem like 30fps. Is that what you're referring to? I vaguely recall the biggest improvement may have come when I got HW3. Could be coincidence, but my cams seem much better, I have no complaints. Then again, I don't have any other newer Teslas to compare it to.

I did get a 2019 loaner, in January, and the repeater cams were terrible, 5fps, so I'm not sure why there's variation.

Thank you all for your feedback. I think the right move for now is to hold off. I'm not thrilled with the number Tesla is offering, my car has received as much pampering as possible. I know in a trade-in this is somewhat irrelevant. As mentioned above, perhaps when they are in a "push" to sell cars the deal will make sense. Also hoping the rates start moving down, that would help.

I was also thinking of trading in my 2021 AWD M3. To get the tax credit, you need to get the performance, so think about your insurance going up significantly, well I'm in CA, and it already has doubled with my current M3. Also, the range is lower than my AWD, and the EPA is rated at 296, which is lower than advertised.

Like many have said, the real benefit is the ventilated seats. Tesla also just raised the price by 1K. My car has lost half its value in 3 years. You also see TESLA's more than you see Toyotas now!

I would just pay off your car and wait until they drop in price, which they eventually will, especially the end of quarters.

I was also thinking of trading in my 2021 AWD M3. To get the tax credit, you need to get the performance, so think about your insurance going up significantly, well I'm in CA, and it already has doubled with my current M3. Also, the range is lower than my AWD, and the EPA is rated at 296, which is lower than advertised.

Like many have said, the real benefit is the ventilated seats. Tesla also just raised the price by 1K. My car has lost half its value in 3 years. You also see TESLA's more than you see Toyotas now!

I would just pay off your car and wait until they drop in price, which they eventually will, especially the end of quarters.
The ventilated seats are a definite plus. Even with white I still find the seats a little sweaty in the summer. It's the sum of a lot of little things that I'm finding is a draw. For me, the biggest plus is the new front end. I love the look of my car from the side and rear but I'm only "okay" with the front. I think the new front looks MUCH better but that's a personal preference and ymmv. Does it look good enough to shell out $4,500 plus pay more in interest rate on a new loan...Based on the feedback here I am inclined to hold off.